The Kurburgring Lap

He_162

I aimed for the "submit reply" button on my touch screen, hitting only 16 keys in the process. That's what I call somnambulatory skills!

Anyway, I made a third test vehicle:

1woITO8.pngxhu11gv.pngRXywoWN.png

I created it by throwing random pieces on the car haphazardly (and while still half-asleep) until I got something that looked stylish. It has acceptable handling and stability, however the acceleration is somewhat slow and it tops out at 73 m/s. 

Any improvements to the styling you can think of? (I already am working on a cup holder for coffee)

I've spent the last seven or eight hours working on my latest megacar. Since my original G-Force was little more than an experimental hypercar I figured the name deserved more, so this will be called the G-Force 2.0.

nUGoBZd.jpg%C2%A0

Its not done yet as I still have some tweaking to do but it should be ready in a few days. Also, does anyone know what the easiest way to record a KSP video is, taking screenshots will be difficult to impossible with how fast the car is. 

4 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

Let's be civil...

@He_162: Try to be careful with the way you word your critiques, as they do not sound as constructive as they need to be. Instead of bluntly qualifying/disqualifying, tell the person in question some suggestions to improve the car to the expected quality.

@DoctorDavinci: He_162 did not mean any offense. I cannot make you stay with our thread, however if you do I can assure you that we can all help to get your car on that leaderboard. In the words of @Azimech

I absolutely agree with you and @Azimech, i'm not exactly sure what happened here, but it seems there's a bit of misunderstanding mixed in as well. @DoctorDavinci I can understand why you would feel offended and want to leave, but if you choose to stay, I promise I will make sure that everything works out. 

12 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

does anyone know what the easiest way to record a KSP video is, taking screenshots will be difficult to impossible with how fast the car is.

If you have Windows:

Spoiler

you could try [Win]+[alt]+[R] to record videos. There are numerous sources on the internet that can also show you how to use ffmpeg to remove duplicate frames caused by lag. 

If you are on a Mac:

Spoiler

Lol good luck XD

2 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

If you have Windows:

Reveal hidden contents

you could try [Win]+[alt]+[R] to record videos. There are numerous sources on the internet that can also show you how to use ffmpeg to remove duplicate frames caused by lag. 

If you are on a Mac:

Reveal hidden contents

Lol good luck XD

Thanks, that definitely helps.

Good news, I managed to scrape off 2.3 tons from the Lambo, new mass is 6.66t. Also lowered ride height and increased downforce. Top speed increased from to 98 to 107m/s. Didn't touch the wheels. Even with springs at max there's more body roll than with the TR2-L. With the current grip settings the car is less aggressive in corners, and a lot more forgiving than my other car. With just 4 Juno's I did a 1.09 on the track. Might be able to improve this.

Edited by Azimech

4 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

looks fun. i'll give it a try

Great!

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

Good news, I managed to scrape off 2.3 tons from the Lambo, new mass is 6.66t. Also lowered ride height and increased downforce. Top speed increased from to 98 to 107m/s. Didn't touch the wheels. Even with springs at max there's more body roll than with the TR2-L. With the current grip settings the car is less aggressive in corners, and a lot more forgiving than my other car. With just 4 Juno's I did a 1.09 on the track. Might be able to improve this.

Very good news!

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

Hmmmm... Makes me reconsider locking in the lambo's time for the OTTA....

On one of my better clean runs, the G-Force 2.0 managed to run around the kurburgring in 1:00 and my test track in 0:36. I'm still testing it and considering making a Le Mans racing variant. I've also come up with the design for another megacar I will begin working on soon, although I have yet to come up with a name.

Edited by LABenterprises

I also don't get why the TR-2L is the only wheel allowed. What's the reason for that? You want us to make aesthetically pleasing cars using only stock parts, but what if the RoveMax M1 looks better on my car than the TR-2L? Why can't I have that?

Edited by Deathpuff12

2 minutes ago, Deathpuff12 said:

I also don't get why the TR-2L is the only wheel allowed. What's the reason for that? You want us to make aesthetically pleasing cars using only stock parts, but what if the RoveMax M1 looks better on my car than the TR-2L? Why can't I have that?

I didn't come up with the rules, so I don't really know. I speculate that it is the motor speed or something.

14 minutes ago, Deathpuff12 said:

I think the TR-2L was chosen because of its superior grip to the RoveMax M1. Performance is the biggest part of this challenge, but I can understand why this would be a problem for some people. I'll see if we can change the rules to allow the  RoveMax M1 in the main category.

9 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

I think the TR-2L was chosen because of its superior grip to the RoveMax M1. Performance is the biggest part of this challenge, but I can understand why this would be a problem for some people. I'll see if we can change the rules to allow the  RoveMax M1 in the main category.

Alright, I understand. The M1 is not as good as the TR-2L, but it does offer a different look that, in a challenge that's largely about aesthetics, can be useful. I would definitely appreciate if it could be allowed in the rules.

Edit: Also, I realize that what I said may have sounded kind of harsh. Sorry if that's the case; it seems to be a trend in this thread :P

Edited by Deathpuff12

Been working on a few cars for this challenge, but sadly my preferred vehicle has encountered some sort of bug and is no longer able to be launched, or even edited.  :(  And this is after spending a several hours tuning and testing it...

If I get the file fixed, then I'll see if I can get a lap time and some screenshots :)   (Or maybe a whole new vehicle at worst... I'm think about 80s rally hatchback styling for this one)

Edited by Slam_Jones

On 9/18/2017 at 1:25 PM, Slam_Jones said:

Been working on a few cars for this challenge, but sadly my preferred vehicle has encountered some sort of bug and is no longer able to be launched, or even edited.  :(  And this is after spending a several hours tuning and testing it...

If I get the file fixed, then I'll see if I can get a lap time and some screenshots :)   (Or maybe a whole new vehicle at worst... I'm think about 80s rally hatchback styling for this one)

Omg the Audi Quattro is* my favorite car. I tried making it a while back but I wasn't very good at making stuff then, and I just couldn't get it started.

Edited by Deathpuff12

I'm changing the rules to allow up to 6 of those two wheel types (RoveMax, and TR-2L) into the main category, and more rules for SAS abuse.

24 minutes ago, Deathpuff12 said:

Omg the Audi Quattro my favorite car. I tried making it a while back but I wasn't very good at making stuff then, and I just couldn't get it started.

Have a go at it now, I didn't even bother making cars until I had mastered it. (By mastered, I mean made them look semi-realistic, or useful, let alone fast.)

The new rules, I'll start putting craft in the time if I can get a video, or screenshots of the craft.

Rules:
-No F12 menu.
-Only stock game parts.
-Only the TR-2L, or RoveMax M1 can be used as a wheel (6 per craft, 4 if using the TR-2L).
-The track must be followed, no short cuts.
-A screenshot on every corner if possible, or every other corner.
-Craft will be based purely on score for the points, but must be aesthetically pleasing
(the craft may be mostly made of wings (51+%) but it has to look like a real life sports car / supercar, or have similar aesthetic or it doesn't qualify)
-The car must be mostly made out of wings, structural parts, or ailerons, struts, etc.

-Only the Juno engines may be used, and up to 12 may be used in the design.
*All of them must be used for forward only propulsion.
-Only a single 1.25m SAS wheel may be used.

Rules for "anything goes":
-The rule above apply, but the following is changed.
-Any wheel type can be used (up to 8 wheels)
-Up to 18 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary (but there must be a seat, and room for one)
-Aesthetics is less of an necessity, crazier designs will be forced into this section, so make them good.
(Crazy designs will be seen, and we will have examples at some point.)
Any SAS unit may be used, but only one.

Rules for "Anything and Everything":
-The rules above apply, but the following is changed.
-Any amount of wheels
-Up to 20 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary
-Aesthetics is NOT an necessity, the craziest designs shall be forced unto this section, so make them the best.
Up to three SAS units may be used per craft.

Hmmm ... a reaction wheel is permitted? Strikes me as a bit odd. No real car in existence has them and it doesn't really motivate to learn how to perfectly tune or drive a car. For my challenge I didn't allow them.

The only cars I have with reaction wheels are the ones made for low grav worlds. Not even my breakdancing car has it.

Edited by Azimech

5 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

If you are interested, @Slam_Jones, you can fix the corrupted craft file by editing it via text editor. This happened to me before but I foxed it eventually.

Each part is linked to another, and the bug you are dealing with probably is a result of extra linkages to non existent parts. All you have to do is delete the extraneous lines and it should function as it did. Unfortunately, this is very tedious, so you might consider rebuilding the craft instead. Good Luck!

20 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Rules for "Anything and Everything":
-The rules above apply, but the following is changed.
-Any amount of wheels
-Up to 20 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary
-Aesthetics is NOT an necessity, the craziest designs shall be forced unto this section, so make them the best.
Up to three SAS units may be used per craft.

Can we change the "20 juno's" line by adding "or equvalent thrust (400kN stationary)"? I think that a panther is nice to have cuz the exhaust is cool and the acceleration is more responsive.

5 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

If you are interested, @Slam_Jones, you can fix the corrupted craft file by editing it via text editor. This happened to me before but I foxed it eventually.

Each part is linked to another, and the bug you are dealing with probably is a result of extra linkages to non existent parts. All you have to do is delete the extraneous lines and it should function as it did. Unfortunately, this is very tedious, so you might consider rebuilding the craft instead. Good Luck!

Ugh ... imagine I have to debug my 2000 part Excelsior ;.;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.