The Kurburgring Lap

He_162

1 minute ago, prgmTrouble said:

You could reasonably come up for a script which indexes each part's identifier and destroys non-indexed links, but I am not familiar with code languages that deal with this (perl?)

Not me, I'm no programmer. I have the logical mind but my brain works primarily through visualization.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Hmmm ... a reaction wheel is permitted? Strikes me as a bit odd. No real car in existence has them and it doesn't really motivate to learn how to perfectly tune or drive a car. For my challenge I didn't allow them.

The only cars I have with reaction wheels are the ones made for low grav worlds. Not even my breakdancing car has it.

I was tempted to remove them completely, until I realized the 0.625m one really can't do much, and putting one on is practically pointless, so I allowed it to see how creative people can get.

1 hour ago, prgmTrouble said:

If you are interested, @Slam_Jones, you can fix the corrupted craft file by editing it via text editor. This happened to me before but I foxed it eventually.

Each part is linked to another, and the bug you are dealing with probably is a result of extra linkages to non existent parts. All you have to do is delete the extraneous lines and it should function as it did. Unfortunately, this is very tedious, so you might consider rebuilding the craft instead. Good Luck!

Can we change the "20 juno's" line by adding "or equvalent thrust (400kN stationary)"? I think that a panther is nice to have cuz the exhaust is cool and the acceleration is more responsive.

One of the central ideas to the challenge was to use the Juno to go fast, by putting 20 in there, you deal with excessive weight, and fuel consumption, making it challenging to use, the panther would not be, hence it not being admitted.

12 minutes ago, He_162 said:

One of the central ideas to the challenge was to use the Juno to go fast, by putting 20 in there, you deal with excessive weight, and fuel consumption, making it challenging to use, the panther would not be, hence it not being admitted.

The fuel consumption of the 20 junos is 1.28 per second. Three panthers on afterburning mode produce 390 kN (10 less) and consume 1.989 per second. However, the weight of all 20 junos is 5 tons, while the panthers are 1.4 tons less.  There are other factors, such as the increased aerodynamic drag of the massive inlets needed for the panthers, but I'm too lazy to deal with that.

TL;DR - The junos consume less fuel, but weigh more.  Depends on the main target for the restrictions...

31 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

The fuel consumption of the 20 junos is 1.28 per second. Three panthers on afterburning mode produce 390 kN (10 less) and consume 1.989 per second. However, the weight of all 20 junos is 5 tons, while the panthers are 1.4 tons less.  There are other factors, such as the increased aerodynamic drag of the massive inlets needed for the panthers, but I'm too lazy to deal with that.

TL;DR - The junos consume less fuel, but weigh more.  Depends on the main target for the restrictions...

Fuel consumption above 1 is bad for a car that has to go any distance, but the thing is that those Juno's need a lot of air intake to run at full thrust, and that's part of what I meant by fuel.

1 hour ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

can you put in a section for electric cars that only uses battery power

There's always someone :-P

I wonder, would it make sense? Compared with the jet powered cars, you'd only read disappointment in the track results. And maybe hear a nasty giggle somewhere on the planet. KSP electrical vehicles can be compared more with electric wheelchairs than a Tesla.

Here is my submission with the meme car AE86

https://streamable.com/kouo3

Follows all the rules you say
4 wheels

18 junos

made 90% out of aero parts

Looks like a real life sport car (from the 80s)

(from the in-game timer) lap time 1:20

Do I get extra points for drifting?

Edited by Colonel Cbplayer

1 hour ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

Here is my submission with the meme car AE86

https://streamable.com/kouo3

Follows all the rules you say
4 wheels

18 junos

made 90% out of aero parts

Looks like a real life sport car (from the 80s)

(from the in-game timer) lap time 1:20

Do I get extra points for drifting?

I see at least three 2.5m reaction wheels. Sorry, try again (see the rules).

And drifting is easy with those things ... the trick is to do it without.

See @He_162, this is what I'm talking about. If you want a real competition, ban all reaction wheels. They don't improve creativity or skill, quite the opposite.

3 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

also can rcs be used?

I don't think @He_162 and I will allow this because any extra performance you would be able get from rcs, could most likely be gained from tuning the wheels properly. If you need help with that part, just ask anyone on the forum who knows what their doing, @Azimech probably has an encyclopedia on making cars in KSP! 

1 minute ago, LABenterprises said:

I don't think @He_162 and I will allow this because any extra performance you would be able get from rcs, could most likely be gained from tuning the wheels properly. If you need help with that part, just ask anyone on the forum who knows what their doing, @Azimech probably has an encyclopedia on making cars in KSP! 

No encyclopedia yet, I do have a Boost Flap Installation Guide.

https://imgur.com/a/qh6av

4 hours ago, Azimech said:

I wonder, would it make sense? Compared with the jet powered cars, you'd only read disappointment in the track results. And maybe hear a nasty giggle somewhere on the planet. KSP electrical vehicles can be compared more with electric wheelchairs than a Tesla.

My G-10 Baron electric prototype can go faster than 40 m/s. However, it does rely on an incredibly small aerodynamic footprint, which the aesthetic rules on this thread prevent.

Edited by prgmTrouble

52 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Hmmmmm..... Just realized... This sounds suspiciously familiar to.....

....... Naw, surely not. I mean.... Yeah, no way this is the same.. right?

I don't know whether or not @He_162 knew about this, but I had no idea that this challenge existed and I apologize If this has offended you in any way.

33 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

My G-10 Baron electric prototype can go faster than 40 m/s. However, it does rely on an incredibly small aerodynamic footprint, which the aesthetic rules on this thread prevent.

Yes, but accelerating to that speed takes a long time. Maybe good for ovals if it's an endurance race but for a short circuit like this one ...

I checked it with my own racer, made two versions. The first using electric only. The other with with a single Juno. Both 4.2 tons.

The electric did it in 1:48, didn't have to brake once.
With a single Juno I did it in 1:14.

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Hmmmmm..... Just realized... This sounds suspiciously familiar to.....

...... Naw, surely not. I mean.... Yeah, no way this is the same.. right?

Would you expect anything less 'round these parts' :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, prgmTrouble said:

Basically that plus aesthetic importance.

Just don't paint your car 

12 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Yes, but accelerating to that speed takes a long time. Maybe good for ovals if it's an endurance race but for a short circuit like this one ...

I checked it with my own racer, made two versions. The first using electric only. The other with with a single Juno. Both 4.2 tons.

The electric did it in 1:48, didn't have to brake once.
With a single Juno I did it in 1:14.

Yeah, after racing jet cars, I was shocked by the speeds. Corners that you could take flat-out with electric would kill you in jet cars. I'm not looking forward to the electric portion of OTTAC...

Still tuning the wheels, so no lap times yet, but this is likely the vehicle I'll be using:

V9gRV9l.png

QIkH1Bl.png

KGmpKTg.png