The Kurburgring Lap

He_162

11 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

Does anyone happen to know to how to convert a craft file from one version of KSP to another?

Go into the .txt file. It'll show up everything; mass, part count, name, etc.

Below the name should be the version. Just delete the old version and type in the version you want. (Note: You have to do it exactly right. You can't do 1.3; it's got to be 1.3.0, or 1.2.2 for example)

11 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Go into the .txt file. It'll show up everything; mass, part count, name, etc.

Below the name should be the version. Just delete the old version and type in the version you want. (Note: You have to do it exactly right. You can't do 1.3; it's got to be 1.3.0, or 1.2.2 for example)

Thank you that helps a lot! 

There are some fault lines between the separate KSC biomes and I don't really know how to deal with them.
They keep popping my wheels with disastrous effects

https://streamable.com/o9pjt

Here are some screenshots of them
https://imgur.com/a/pC4RP
Whether they do anything is completely random
Do I just keep doing laps until I get lucky?

Edited by Colonel Cbplayer

4 hours ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

There are some fault lines between the separate KSC biomes and I don't really know how to deal with them.
They keep popping my wheels with disastrous effects

https://streamable.com/o9pjt

Here are some screenshots of them
https://imgur.com/a/pC4RP
Whether they do anything is completely random
Do I just keep doing laps until I get lucky?

Pretty much just keep doing laps, but avoid them at all possible times.

I went old-school on this.  First, a 4.27-ton chassis of box girders bolted to a Mk 1 Inline cockpit, 27 parts in all.  Then I duct-taped a number of wings to the outside of it to get the part count to 57, for > 51% wing parts.  Total weight, 5.69 tons :D  Front wheel steering only, driven from the cockpit view, from a standing start, using the keyboard controls.  But hey, I've seen the videos--they let ANYTHING drive on the real Nurburgring and my car is not QUITE as bad as some I've seen.

23532352838_8db0ded291_b.jpg

23532352408_c158e1f510_b.jpg

YouTube (and Google in general) seems to have died tonight so I can't yet upload the video.  But eventually you'll see I did in fact destroy a number of buildings learning to drive this beast:  astronaut complex, part of R&D, and the VAB.  My best time (from a standing start, as you'll eventually see in the video, was 2:29.  I could do it rather faster from a running start, but I wasn't trying to be easy on myself :)

29 minutes ago, LABenterprises said:

Does anyone know how to fix a broken craft file? I was working on a car just now and my computer shut off, now the game says its incompatible with my version of KSP and the file is full of nothing but these weird squares. I would greatly appreciate some help. :(

Can you paste the text from the file here?

2 hours ago, LABenterprises said:

Unfortunately no, but I was able to screenshot it.

Ua8AI7K.jpg

I can't help without the raw text because what seems to be happening is the text was not translated into a readable format before the crash. I am guessing that the text could be corrected by manually translating it, but I am not familiar with this specific problem.

18 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

OK, here's the video of the blistering 2:29 lap turned in by the hunk of iron above.  I suppose it needs a name.  Hmmm.  Bad Idea #1 comes to mind.

I shall now probably start over from scratch and try to build something that's actually competitive.

Did you want me to post that time, or just wait until you have designed something that will beat one of the ones listed?

I know you are fully capable of making something great :) 

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

Did you want me to post that time, or just wait until you have designed something that will beat one of the ones listed?

I know you are fully capable of making something great :) 

If you're going to be editing the OP anyway, feel free to stick it in there.  I'm not ashamed of it.  It a just a different class of car, like a 1940s Indycar compared to today's.  Might be funny to see if anybody else wants to try something in the same class.

2 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

If you're going to be editing the OP anyway, feel free to stick it in there.  I'm not ashamed of it.  It a just a different class of car, like a 1940s Indycar compared to today's.  Might be funny to see if anybody else wants to try something in the same class.

Sadly it will be put up against anything else in the same category, so since only it's name will be shown, not many people will notice, I just don't think people would click on the "losers" score.

I'll put it in the next time I have to modify the OP, or if someone makes a time that beats one of the current times, thanks for the submission!

5 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

I can't help without the raw text because what seems to be happening is the text was not translated into a readable format before the crash. I am guessing that the text could be corrected by manually translating it, but I am not familiar with this specific problem.

5 hours ago, Laie said:

@LABenterprises: looks like an encoding problem to me. Which is odd as it should be an ASCII text file. Copy the file to something.txt and open it with notepad (not wordpad or word or anything fancy like that). If that doesn't work, you're probably out of luck.

I tried notepad and that didn't work either, the craft seems as good as dead now. I'm glad I wasn't working on something really important to me at the time though, thanks for the help anyways. :) 

On 9/30/2017 at 4:32 PM, LABenterprises said:

I tried notepad and that didn't work either, the craft seems as good as dead now. I'm glad I wasn't working on something really important to me at the time though, thanks for the help anyways. :) 

Sorry to hear that! Something similar happened to me when I was working on my DeLorean, which I had several backups of at the time, I guess I was lucky!

On 9/30/2017 at 11:32 PM, LABenterprises said:

It's a good habit to save every 15 minutes with a new version. Usually I go with 0.1 to 0.8, then use 0.81, 0.82 etc. After the craft is released, I move all those files to the "old" folder.

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

It's a good habit to save every 15 minutes with a new version. Usually I go with 0.1 to 0.8, then use 0.81, 0.82 etc. After the craft is released, I move all those files to the "old" folder.

That's a good idea, thank you!

On 10/2/2017 at 1:37 PM, Azimech said:

I like that idea! I usually (made a habit out of this) hit the save button after modifying, or adding any single part (provided I decided I like the idea) and save it with a different name when I do so, v0.4, v0.5, etc, just to have a backup.

I'll be moving backups into a folder on my desktop for safety now. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Stock car, just painted.

Did some work on my extreme racer. Reduced mass with 1500kg, it's at 4.6t now. Reduced number of Juno's from 8 to 6 because the extra mass doesn't help while braking or cornering. Also made the spoilers deploy while braking. Newest trick: I angled the spoilers in such a way they reduce body roll and actually push the car in the direction of cornering if body roll does occur.

5GM2ezT.png

q72LcAt.png

Writing the numbers from my head, they could be off a few tenths.

Top speed: 170 m/s+.
Max G while accelerating: 2.9.
Max G while braking: 3.4.
Max G while cornering: 29!

Now I need a good pilot with lightning fast reflexes. Maybe I should put something like 700 parts somewhere on the KSC to slow the game down.

I'm not going to enter this version because with the weight saving the car is at less than the required 51% wing material. I'll go back a few versions and implement some of the changes.

9 hours ago, Azimech said:

Stock car, just painted.

Did some work on my extreme racer. Reduced mass with 1500kg, it's at 4.6t now. Reduced number of Juno's from 8 to 6 because the extra mass doesn't help while braking or cornering. Also made the spoilers deploy while braking. Newest trick: I angled the spoilers in such a way they reduce body roll and actually push the car in the direction of cornering if body roll does occur.

5GM2ezT.png

q72LcAt.png

Writing the numbers from my head, they could be off a few tenths.

Top speed: 170 m/s+.
Max G while accelerating: 2.9.
Max G while braking: 3.4.
Max G while cornering: 29!

Now I need a good pilot with lightning fast reflexes. Maybe I should put something like 700 parts somewhere on the KSC to slow the game down.

I'm not going to enter this version because with the weight saving the car is at less than the required 51% wing material. I'll go back a few versions and implement some of the changes.

Wow! If you need to slow time down, get BetterTimeWarp. It has slo-mo features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.