More scientific instruments

Nah. It's just unnecessary complexity.

Scientific instruments are there to get research points. More experiments mean more research without having to leave Kerbin SOI, create landers and gather data for labs, etc.

The cool stuff at the end of tech tree doesn't even get you RP - it's to enable specific game mechanics, like asteroid tracking.

We could do with more game mechanics.

14 minutes ago, dvp said:

Nah. It's just unnecessary complexity.

Scientific instruments are there to get research points. More experiments mean more research without having to leave Kerbin SOI, create landers and gather data for labs, etc.

The cool stuff at the end of tech tree doesn't even get you RP - it's to enable specific game mechanics, like asteroid tracking.

We could do with more game mechanics.

yeah i guess the whole research mechanic would have to be rebalanced, but i still think it would be worth it since the current experiments don't really represent actual instruments used on Spacecraft today.

I added @DMagic's mod and then cut my science returns down to 50%. It's a pretty good balance. I know it's kind of a self-defeating solution from a points perspective. For me though it was more about having more types of science to perform and having more cool sciency parts to add to my ship

I'd like to see more experiments as well, perhaps that enabled mid-mission activities. Core sample analysis that requires a drill-o-matic, for example. In addition to giving more science, maybe it could enable higher-efficiency drilling/converting without an engineer.

I'd love an atmospheric skimmer that could refill xenon tanks.

As a console stock player, I'd love to see more scientific instruments in the game however as "dvp" mentioned, scientific faming would remove a lot of the fun from the game. That's not to say however that I couldn't see it being a possibility. I myself enjoy lowering cash, reputation, and scientific reward gains simply for the added realism factor just as "Tyko" does (As its really all I have control over) and hope one day those changes get implemented into the vanilla game.

6 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I'd like to see more experiments as well, perhaps that enabled mid-mission activities. Core sample analysis that requires a drill-o-matic, for example. In addition to giving more science, maybe it could enable higher-efficiency drilling/converting without an engineer.

I'd love an atmospheric skimmer that could refill xenon tanks.

You might want to check out Surface Experiment Pack, as well as Impact.  They add interactive science experiments.  Also check out Cacteye and Tarsier for orbital telescope mods (Cacteye is especially cool in that you can upgrade your telescope over time, requiring EVAs).

Edited by ble210

19 hours ago, Tyko said:

I added @DMagic's mod and then cut my science returns down to 50%. It's a pretty good balance. I know it's kind of a self-defeating solution from a points perspective. For me though it was more about having more types of science to perform and having more cool sciency parts to add to my ship

Do you find that to be a good balance?  I have been hesitant to use DMagic for the very reason that I don't want science to become too easy, and I've been wondering what is a good number to turn the science returns down to.  50% seems to be it for you?  If so,  I'll try a new career with that.

4 hours ago, ble210 said:

Do you find that to be a good balance?  I have been hesitant to use DMagic for the very reason that I don't want science to become too easy, and I've been wondering what is a good number to turn the science returns down to.  50% seems to be it for you?  If so,  I'll try a new career with that.

Yea, I've been using 50% for a while. It makes it a bit more challenging than stock, but very playable. If you really want to have fun, don't do any KSC science except for the launch pad and the runway - no building a rover and driving from building to building collecting science :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.