Use Xbox controller? Or any other joystick?

Is there a way to use a Xbox 360 controller with KSP? If not what other joystick or controller can i use with the game. It is really hard to control the ships with my keyboard tbh. And to a guy who hasn't even landed on the Mun yet, it would be extremely useful.

Don't know about gamepads (Xbox&co), but joysticks work fine with KSP. You can set up which axis and buttons control what in the game settings after you set up your joystick in Windows/OS X.

Also, if you didn't know it: to make the keyboard controls easier and much more precise, hit Precision Controls (default Caps Lock). The pitch/roll/yaw indicators will turn from orange to blue, and you will notice how the controls are much smoother.

I use the Xbox controller, you can map the axis in the control menu. I use left thumbstick for pitch and yaw, right stick for roll and RCS forward and backwards, and the D-pad for RCS translation control. The trigger's don't map correctly, so you can't bind them to roll the ship.

The only negative about this setup is it's great for a spacecraft, but awkward to fly a spaceplane with the pitch and roll on different sticks.

No. You connect the joystick/controller/whatever as you normally would, and then in the game settings, you set up the joystick/gamepad axes to correspond to pitch/roll/yaw/throttle input. Job done.

So how do you actually connect it? do you need a special plug or something?

If you're referring to how to hook up the 360 controller, it connects to your normal USB port on any laptop or computer (if its been constructed since about 2000 for 2.0). It should auto-install the driver since its a microsoft device if you are on a windows box.

It should be noted, however, that this only works for cabled controllers. If you have a wireless controller with a play-and-charge kit, this won't work. The play-and-charge kit only carries the power for the controller; the actual transmission of data is still done wirelessly.

Aftermarket controllers should work too, like my MadCatz 360 controller.

I use the Xbox controller, you can map the axis in the control menu. I use left thumbstick for pitch and yaw, right stick for roll and RCS forward and backwards, and the D-pad for RCS translation control. The trigger's don't map correctly, so you can't bind them to roll the ship.

The only negative about this setup is it's great for a spacecraft, but awkward to fly a spaceplane with the pitch and roll on different sticks.

Ive been wanting to do use an xbox controller forever but I cant find one of my wires. It seems like the Ideal thing to use.

• 8 months later...
The trigger's don't map correctly, so you can't bind them to roll the ship.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24874-Workaround-for-Xbox-360-controller-Triggers-and-DPAD-mapping

how about this? does this work?

I use a 360Controller for flying spaceplanes only. I don't think that u get a better controll of your spacecrafts since u got the SHIFT controlls and im more used to them i guess.

The drivers don't allways install themselfs but microsoft offers them for free on their website.

I use a 360Controller for flying spaceplanes only. I don't think that u get a better controll of your spacecrafts since u got the SHIFT controlls and im more used to them i guess.

The drivers don't allways install themselfs but microsoft offers them for free on their website.

I was looking for a way to fly spaceplanes, not crafts.

I just found out that it's useless to fly a craft in third person, because the camera won't follow you anyway, and some of b9 aerospace's cockpit views doesn't help either

I was looking for a way to fly spaceplanes, not crafts.

Sorry, didn't noticed that.

I just found out that it's useless to fly a craft in third person, because the camera won't follow you anyway, and some of b9 aerospace's cockpit views doesn't help either

Well you can change your cameramode with the V-button (standard) into "chase mode" wich follows rotations of the craft and puts the screen in the right position so that up is up (if you get that^^) but yeah it realy comes down to how you prefer to fly your crafts and what you are used to.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If you can use an Xbox controller then theoreticaly you would be able to get DS4Windows and use a ps4 controller. Then all you need is a HDMI cable, HD tv and you've got the console experience minus the console :)

This is an ancient thread, nearly three years old.  Presumably any previous posters have long since found whatever answer they needed.

Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If anyone has current questions or comments on the topic, feel free to spin up a new thread.