This Forum's KSP fleet vs Mass Effect's Systems Alliance

Joseph Kerman

Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/whowouldwin/comments/6ztn1e/kerbin_vs_the_systems_alliance/

Basically, everyone in the community who has built space battleships will unite as the Kerbin Defense Fleet. They will face off the Systems Alliance from Mass Effect. Can the KDF at least have Space Parity?

1 hour ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/whowouldwin/comments/6ztn1e/kerbin_vs_the_systems_alliance/

Basically, everyone in the community who has built space battleships will unite as the Kerbin Defense Fleet. They will face off the Systems Alliance from Mass Effect. Can the KDF at least have Space Parity?

Well, we have infinite resources.

Mass Effect has scale on it's side. It's stated that each shot carries 1.59e+14 joules of energy. Heavy ship-killers on the other hand carry about 9'3750'000 joules on impact. That's about 16 million times weaker. Due in part to mass effect firing a couple % the speed of light and ksp rounds being limited to 250m/s before they phase through solid objects. So let's pretend we can go as fast as the D/v allows. 6 billion joules giving that you've got 2km/s on hand(which most do) That's now only 26'500 times the power. 

As you'd guess mass effect ships are about 10 times the size of their KSP equivalent sitting at 800m instead of the 60-80 KSP dreadnoughts are.

The KDF would have to outnumber the Alliance massively. Keep in mind though that they could. Only 8 dreadnoughts are fielded but a lot more lighter ships which I'll ignore.

So I'm going to take my ships as a guess. Nothing can stand up to the shot. It would take about 100k ship-killers to destroy a dreadnought. Which would require 5'000 KSP dreadnoughts with 20 rounds a piece.
But the ME:Dreadnoughts combined can take out 4 ships a second. 
So let's be EXTREMELY generous and say that to take on the alliance fleet with a first strike attack with a 100% kill rate. If a single Alliance ship survives this attack however there is no backup plan. Every round of munition is exhausted in that attack. 
Lets say that the KDF eliminates armor in favour of doubled weapon loads that's still a fleet of 2500 dreadnoughts to take out 8 Alliance Dreadnoughts.

Of course all of this is nullified because mass effect is sci-fi and every Alliance ship has kinetic shields which stop the only type of damage the KDF can impart. But I've been ignoring it. One way around that however is to attach to the ship slowly with a claw, as the barriers are only for fast movement, and burn through the hull. Taking out vital systems like engines and weapons.

Edited by Spartwo

54 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Of course all of this is nullified because mass effect is sci-fi and every Alliance ship has kinetic shields which stop the only type of damage the KDF can impart. But I've been ignoring it. One way around that however is to attach to the ship slowly with a claw, as the barriers are only for fast movement, and burn through the hull. Taking out vital systems like engines and weapons.

"Good. The slow blade penetrates the shield..."

- Gurney Halleck

On 9/13/2017 at 6:38 AM, Spartwo said:

Don't forget the point defense lasers. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.