Why do they not fair engines nozzles?

Helmetman

@wumpusWell, no they don't use it. 

It has a lot of smaller raptor engines on the 1st stage, I wouldn't even know how they'd fit fiarings on the 1st stage of the ITS.

just as the N1 had smaller NK-15 engines versus a few very big F1 saturn engines that are very big in comparison.
Also in the ITS animation the nozzles are concealed as it sits on the Launchpad.

Nice discussion on the aerodynamics of shells, interesting read though. I can't think of the best types of planes myself but would it benefit any form of tail drag as it leads over the skin of a jet nozzle? Jet nozzles look quite aerodynamic by themselves. But since it's air that creates drag and airliners are there all the time I would wonder if such a benefit would be worth the airline industry.

Obviously I'm not the first one as for almost everything. Planes don't got them so I'm sure there's a clear answer to that one. 

1 hour ago, Helmetman said:

It has a lot of smaller raptor engines on the 1st stage, I wouldn't even know how they'd fit fiarings on the 1st stage of the ITS.

just as the N1 had smaller NK-15 engines versus a few very big F1 saturn engines that are very big in comparison.
Also in the ITS animation the nozzles are concealed as it sits on the Launchpad.

Nice discussion on the aerodynamics of shells, interesting read though. I can't think of the best types of planes myself but would it benefit any form of tail drag as it leads over the skin of a jet nozzle? Jet nozzles look quite aerodynamic by themselves. But since it's air that creates drag and airliners are there all the time I would wonder if such a benefit would be worth the airline industry.

Obviously I'm not the first one as for almost everything. Planes don't got them so I'm sure there's a clear answer to that one. 

Yes, the shape of the back of the fuselage is important, if that's what you mean.

2 hours ago, Helmetman said:

Airplanes are very sensitive to drag, its far more important than for rockets as planes stays in the atmosphere while rockets leave it pretty fast, the back of an jet engine has over pressure, so it don't generate drag, you also don't have an wide back on the ending its go smooth over to the engine rear just as the engine fairing. this is true even on fighter jets with trust vectoring. here the movable nozzle extend out on back of engine. 
One the other hand jets with multiple engines also think of the rear, B52 with its dual engine pod also take care of this, no flat rear here. 

16179486-close-up-view-of-the-rear-of-th

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.