KSP Weekly: Cassini’s Grand Finale

SQUAD

26 minutes ago, Pixel Kola said:

How about releasing something? Making History is either a complete re-work of everything, or ur just bad at what you do. you hype and hype and hype for months about Russians being able to read everything in the game.. you hype and hype and hype whatever 1.3.1 is supposed to be, I've never seen so much hype for a pre-pre-pre-realease.... it has been half a year since Making History talk... and it's just what.. a few extra parts that are either cylinders or minimally faceted polygons and basically what amounts to a contracts mod...

Really?  ...... really?

There was an old game called Strike Commander by Origin, and its development took a long time too. They also had rabid fans that wanted to see the progress. But the extra time put in made it worthwhile. If they had released it earlier to satisfy customers, it would've been buggy and incomplete. Another game, Battlecruiser 3000, was also hyped for years. When it finally went out the door, it was a huge letdown due to its incomplete state. It's better to take the time to get it right if you have the opportunity- It will pay off in terms of maintenance and additions down the road.

And if the team is pretty small and/or has their time split between other projects, six  months is pretty reasonable given this project's scope.

1 hour ago, Pixel Kola said:

How about releasing something? Making History is either a complete re-work of everything, or ur just bad at what you do. you hype and hype and hype for months about Russians being able to read everything in the game.. you hype and hype and hype whatever 1.3.1 is supposed to be, I've never seen so much hype for a pre-pre-pre-realease.... it has been half a year since Making History talk... and it's just what.. a few extra parts that are either cylinders or minimally faceted polygons and basically what amounts to a contracts mod...

Really?  ...... really?

In the real world, stomping your feet and yelling "I want, I want" does not get you anything, let alone suggesting to the people you want "stuff" from that they're bad at what they do.  The "hype" for 1.3.1 has been non-existent on Squad's side, and if you really think Making History expansion is really just a couple of parts and a few extra contracts, you clearly haven't read the majority of the info released regarding it.  They haven't been cryptic at all about the scope of Making History, any read through the past several months of KSP Weekly's would make that apparent.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Another game, Battlecruiser 3000, was also hyped for years. When it finally went out the door, it was a huge letdown due to its incomplete state. It's better to take the time to get it right if you have the opportunity- It will pay off in terms of maintenance and additions down the road.

Oh, yeah.... Neverwinter Nights 2.... wow! Arguably the best written Dungeons & Dragons story-line in any game of it's kind. And I've been playing D&D since the early days with dice and calculators. Anyway, same exact story... Best story-line you could ask for. But because there was a rush to release it,  several of the side-quests are incomplete, or outright missing. I still play it now and then, but I really wish they had put another few months into making sure it was complete before rushing it out the door.

This is how I feel about @SQUAD and KSP... I would MUCH rather they took their time, even if it means a few more days or weeks, and get everything right, than rush into something that isn't ready, just to satisfy an impatient few.

On 15/09/2017 at 10:01 PM, SQUAD said:

It’s important to note that as this version is being built from the ground up, some of the bugs we have been talking about are completely new and some others that were quite notorious in the previous version are not even present anymore.

I think this is something that people should be more aware of (and maybe Squad better at communicating).

I've already stated that I envy the team who gets the resources to make sure the product is good, and not just good enough.

Most companies would select to hack the dead donkey until it no longer was obviously broken, and then forget about it.

Edited by Curveball Anders
gramar

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

I've already stated that I envy the team who gets the resources to make sure the product is good, and not just good enough.

"Do you want it done right, or do you want it done now? I know you want it done right now, but...pick one"

Everything sounds and looks good to me so far. It'll be ready when it's ready, I'm in no hurry.

6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

"Do you want it done right, or do you want it done now? I know you want it done right now, but...pick one"

Everything sounds and looks good to me so far. It'll be ready when it's ready, I'm in no hurry.

Actually, there's 3 choices, Specs, Time and Budget.

Pick 1 of 3 ...

(Or two if you have a really good project lead :wink: )

13 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Done Right...

I don't understand the rush.... I'm like this writing Emiko Station as well. I'm not going to post a chapter I'm not happy with, or feels rushed, even if it takes 3-4 weeks to write it up. Absolutely not.

I would expect @SQUAD, and everyone for that matter, no matter what you're doing, to be the same. If you're going to make or do something, do it to the best of your ability... never, EVER be just "good enough"... 

I can't help but notice that you guys are complaining over the Making History add-on, when us on the console version don't even have a working version of 1.2!

Waiting for months to get that new add-on? Haha! Try waiting for almost a year and a half for the BASE GAME, with STILL no end in sight, and STILL only a broken game!

(EDIT: Console gamers have been waiting for 432 days and counting for an update, so...)

Edited by LegendaryAce

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

My quote and comment was about the console (re)porting effort.

Oh no, not you. But most everyone else is complaining that they've got to wait something like 6 months to get their DLCs. You know, be glad that you can even enjoy the game. We can't even play our version, let alone look forward to expansions.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:24 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

Competitive KSP! There goes my free time...

I just managed to catch the Last 10 minutes of Cassini's life after sprinting down a floor and pestering a friend for the use of his laptop, yay friend!

I saw the whole thing live. They had this page with telemetry, that simulated the position of Cassini, and when the ship reached 66.000 km, the monitoring stopped. That would be the upper limit of the atmosphere on Saturn. I also saw the live event from the control center. And witnessed the last few seconds of the S and X band radio transmission. They were off by 15 seconds in their prediction. They were reading the telemetry and were noticing how the thrusters went from 10% to 100% at which point they were expecting the signal to be lost as Cassini would lose control.

On 9/16/2017 at 0:03 AM, maceemiller said:

I dont actually know why I feel this sad about Cassinis demise....its only a man made probe made of "metal"....but I genuinely do.

Ive lost many "human" friends within my 44 years on this planet who I miss dearly but I am sad about Cassini.......

Feels like a friend who I never knew will never post that random comment i always loved reading :(

I feel you. I was all man tears watching it unfold. The people at the control center were also crying.

On 9/16/2017 at 6:37 PM, Tw1 said:

RIP

XhfIbIB.png

6oTJS8q.png

Rest in particles.

That looks cool. I like the attention to detail. Thanks for posting.

Edited by mystik

12 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

Oh no, not you. But most everyone else is complaining that they've got to wait something like 6 months to get their DLCs. You know, be glad that you can even enjoy the game. We can't even play our version, let alone look forward to expansions.

Lol, how I feel every time I see someone complain on the new ksp weekly...

1 hour ago, James M said:

Lol, how I feel every time I see someone complain on the new ksp weekly...

Seriously. "We've been waiting for 6 months for the add-on". That's nice. Triple that, and that's how we feel. Perhaps Making History shouldn't be released until the console gamers get a working copy?

9 hours ago, mystik said:

I saw the whole thing live. They had this page with telemetry, that simulated the position of Cassini, and when the ship reached 66.000 km, the monitoring stopped. That would be the upper limit of the atmosphere on Saturn. I also saw the live event from the control center. And witnessed the last few seconds of the S and X band radio transmission. They were off by 15 seconds in their prediction. They were reading the telemetry and were noticing how the thrusters went from 10% to 100% at which point they were expecting the signal to be lost as Cassini would lose control.

Yeah, you can get surprisingly emotional seeing a green spike disappear...

8 hours ago, KatastrophicKonstellations said:

when will the DLC come out? its been 4 months or more since it was first announced 

No release date has been set yet, and Squad usually does not announce such things ahead of time anyway. Too many people used to get mad it they were postponed. 

On 9/15/2017 at 1:01 PM, SQUAD said:

They’ve been working hard on the implementation of the new controller mapping pre-sets.

Will the console UI and controller support be back-ported to the PC version? I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to connect my PC to a TV and play games with a controller.

I know we can already kind of do this by setting up the xbox controller as a joystick, but that only really works for flight mode.

On 18/09/2017 at 9:13 AM, LegendaryAce said:

Perhaps Making History shouldn't be released until the console gamers get a working copy?

Except for the fact that it's two different teams (even two different companies) working on the console port and the DLC.

So they can't move resources from one to the other.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.