Cassini-Huygens Probe Memorial Challenge

rev_dude

1 minute ago, maceemiller said:

I like it but if im honest I dont.....dont be offended please, its just seems a little cluttered and hard to make out what it is. 

I dont know how to make these so if you could explain to me how maybe we could work together on one?

Kti7WKE.jpg

(alright, i am not that angry. to make one of these you can simply find some good pictures from cassini, copy them, open MSpaint and paste them, after that you add the cover for the images, so they don't look like a complete cluster-crap, the end)

31 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

@rev_dude

------------------

@maceemiller I made a smaller and a simplier version, like it now?

hed0KI.png

hed0KI.png

(210-250 scaling down)

\----------------------------------------------

Now that Sir I like :) Once I have completed the mission I would be honoured to wear this badge.....

@rev_dude what do you think?

So, moving away from the badge (which I love) Ive just built and tested the 2 stages which will get me to Saturn from LEO. Decided not to go for a gravity assist as I found it to complicated if Im honest (maybe I should practice in the stock game and not RSS)......

Just have to build the beast to get me into low Earth orbit then await my transfer window........tested my Huygens probe on Titan......that went much better than expected.....looking at having a camera on there to take a picture once landed but we will see.....(if anyone knows any mods etc, to do this would be helpful but not essential)

.....loving this mission :)

Edited by maceemiller

Update on my RO/RP-0 mission, it has been a year and a half ish, and there are about 2.5 years left until it gets to Saturn. Actually, I launched a mostly identical one to Jupiter and that will actually get there first. It should be a valid test of Cassini's systems, seeing as the only difference is the addition of landing legs.

Yes!! The time to launch my attempt in RSS is only a couple of hours away.....im so excited!!

Between juggling my job and private life I've finally managed to complete the entire rocket to launch my Cassini - Huygens probe into orbit and prepare for my transfer window to Saturn.

I was talking to a colleague at work today about the launch and I honestly got goosebumps on my arms.....super excited :)

Edited by maceemiller

So this is a little something I have done as a part of my RSS/RO/RP-0 career playthrough. I never thought that I would get so far on a single save. But somehow I got to the 1990s and the opportunity to launch a probe to Saturn using Venus-Venus-Earth-Jupiter Gravity Assist was getting closer. And with the real Cassini mission getting to an end I decided to fly the mission in my career save. I've done research on Cassini, specifically its journey to Saturn. It was tedious but I found dates for launch, every flyby and the deep space maneuver and also how the orbit should look between each flyby. 

I flew the mission in my career save so it was actually months between the launch and arrival at Saturn. The launch was on March 14th 2017, and it arrived on September 19th 2017, four days after the real Cassini mission has ended. This isn't a perfect recreation of Cassini-Huygens. I added a second probe, which entered Saturn's atmosphere and the orbiter has more bipropellant and monopropellant fuel. This resulted in launch mass 1200 kilograms larger than real Cassini. 

@rev_dudeSo here it is, the Cassini-Huygens-Kronos mission to Saturn. I'm warning you that the album contains 151 images. And please forgive me for the crappy resolution.

https://imgur.com/a/fvBWv

Edited by Scorpu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, after the unexpected death of my Mother In Law normal life has resumed.....

Cassini has been launched and is on her way to Saturn. I am taking screenshots and will be releasing the pictures here from Imgur once she has completed the mission..... :)

Just now, maceemiller said:

So, after the unexpected death of my Mother In Law normal life has resumed.....

Cassini has been launched and is on her way to Saturn. I am taking screenshots and will be releasing the pictures here from Imgur once she has completed the mission..... :)

My condolences.

I'm working on this challenge and have my Cassini probe designed, but I'm wondering about the specific "4 tons".

Here's my design (see below):

Spoiler

LToE5UF.png

I'm assuming it says "at least" 4 tons, that it could in fact be a lot more than 4 tons? :)

Edited by scottadges

So, it is done......the Cassini-Huygens probe has completed its mission and Im quite sad its over as I became fond of this spacecraft. Anyway, enough of that, heres my pictures of this brilliant mission idea.....thankyou @rev_dude :)

https://imgur.com/a/cipTc

Edited by maceemiller

• 1 month later...

It takes a long time, both in game and in real life to do this challenge, because I am flying other missions during the probe's long trip. This is my first time flying to the Jool system. My game is stock and I make no attempt for the craft to look like the real Cassini.

Entering the Jool system. I just took a direct Hohman transfer.

screenshot75.png

Greeted by Tylo

screenshot77.png

I used gravity assist from Laythe to capture into the system

screenshot78.png

My probe doesn't carry a lander like the Huygens. However, the whole probe skims the Laythe atmosphere.

screenshot81.png

I originally designed the probe to deliver a relay to low Jool orbit for long term use. However the relay's solar panels broke during aerobreaking, and the signal at Jool wasn't good. So I decided to crash both into Jool instead.

screenshot83.png

Low Jool orbit

screenshot84.png

I decided to use a second gravity assist from Laythe to visit Vall as well

screenshot86.png

A third flyby to Laythe to get back to Jool, now with even lower, almost touching the atmosphere.

screenshot87.png

First areobreaking at Jool. The probe would then go back to space to transmit the experiments

screenshot91.png

The final descend.

screenshot92.png

Again my probe is different from Cassini. It uses a heat shield and parachute to go deeper instead of just burning up.

screenshot94.png

Found another design mistake. The probe doesn't have enough battery or electric generation to transmit everything back :(

screenshot97.png

Finally crushed by the immense pressure of the Jool atmosphere

screenshot98.png

The mission is more epic than I thought. Thanks  @rev_dude

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

• 2 months later...

This is a really interesting challenge. Thought I'd give it a go. Here are the images from my attempt. The Cassini-Huygens probe and launcher were built as close to real-life as possible. The largest inaccuracy was that the upper stage of the launch vehicle was brought all the way to Jool orbital insertion. The Huygens probe was dropped into Laythe from a highly elliptical orbit a little ways away from Laythe, so the landing site was overshot a little, landing on the terminator. The Huygens probe died after a little while and lost communications after Cassini moved below the horixon. After the Laythe flyby, the probe had a flyby of every Jool moon, although this took some significant time to complete. Eventually, the probe was dropped into Jool from a highly elliptical orbit. The probe burned up so quickly that I only got one screenshot of it exploding. sDADFzj.png

https://imgur.com/a/4IjqX

Edited by Alexonaut

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.