Are there any Astronauts on the forums?

Ultimate Steve

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I know of a person who runs an aerospace company who's on the forums.

Albeit if I had a few bucks I'd staple myself a Jebediah style rocket in real life and go. I'm not even joking either, I've got designs and builds.

@Tristonwilson12?

Yes, I totally know what you mean... I've got at least two designs (not counting the bad ones). All I need is money (not too terribly hard), time (that got harder, but doable), and a permit (okay, not going to happen).

EDIT: Okay, it seems like the answer to my original question is "only future astronauts."

Edited by Ultimate Steve

9 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@Tristonwilson12?

Yes, I totally know what you mean... I've got at least two designs (not counting the bad ones). All I need is money (not too terribly hard), time (that got harder, but doable), and a permit (okay, not going to happen).

EDIT: Okay, it seems like the answer to my original question is "only future astronauts."

Correct you are.

Gotta pick a person and send 'em. My concept is partially reusable however is intended for one occupant to orbit alone. You think anyone here would get behind me if I made a thread on it?

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Gotta pick a person and send 'em. My concept is partially reusable however is intended for one occupant to orbit alone. You think anyone here would get behind me if I made a thread on it?

Depends. I believe that many people on the forums would definitely get behind trying to send someone to space. However, there is the issue of obtaining all of the necessary permits and stuff, and money, and bleh... if it actually happened that would be awesomely amazing, but the chances of it happening are astronomically low... the KSP forum couldn't really even settle on a cubesat design based on the thread. There's also the issue of where to base the effort, how to coordinate everything... and lots more. Now, most people would say "Oh, stop it! It's not rocket science!"

Heh. Heh. Heh.

If you want to, go for it. A 1% chance is better than a 0% chance. I'd be behind you (although I'm fifteen so I don't know how much help I'd be). If we could get a few dozen dedicated people working seriously on this then I see no reason (barring government intervention) why it couldn't be done. However, the problem is getting people past the "This goal is awfully high and this won't ever happen so I'm going to slowly back away" stage. With these kind of ideas, first impressions really count, so I'd spend a while making the post if I were you.

BTW both of my designs are also one man.

1. Tiny suborbital capsule that could fit on CloudOne (maybe first stage only. Possibly reusable-ish).
  2. One man orbital rocket. I never finished the engine designs, though, and the capsule is overly complicated and could fit two or three if they were willing to squeeze in.

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Depends. I believe that many people on the forums would definitely get behind trying to send someone to space. However, there is the issue of obtaining all of the necessary permits and stuff, and money, and bleh... if it actually happened that would be awesomely amazing, but the chances of it happening are astronomically low... the KSP forum couldn't really even settle on a cubesat design based on the thread. There's also the issue of where to base the effort, how to coordinate everything... and lots more. Now, most people would say "Oh, stop it! It's not rocket science!"

Heh. Heh. Heh.

If you want to, go for it. A 1% chance is better than a 0% chance. I'd be behind you (although I'm fifteen so I don't know how much help I'd be). If we could get a few dozen dedicated people working seriously on this then I see no reason (barring government intervention) why it couldn't be done. However, the problem is getting people past the "This goal is awfully high and this won't ever happen so I'm going to slowly back away" stage. With these kind of ideas, first impressions really count, so I'd spend a while making the post if I were you.

BTW both of my designs are also one man.

1. Tiny suborbital capsule that could fit on CloudOne (maybe first stage only. Possibly reusable-ish).
  2. One man orbital rocket. I never finished the engine designs, though, and the capsule is overly complicated and could fit two or three if they were willing to squeeze in.

Guess that is the right way to think of it. I'll have to start sketching everything down and preparing it for the forum.

The easiest way to circumvent the issues the cubesat thread had is to go forward with a more set concept and plan initially from the get go. Showing that there's already a structure and plan in place, but community input is accepted. That said, @Tristonwilson12 knows all about the permits and could likely have them fully explained to me and completed rather easily. Thankfully I'm good at coordinating stuff like this (heck, I used to be Flight Director of the Real Space Program! (and will return to being so in the near future). As to the "too difficult people", they will always be there. Honestly baring flight difficulties, the only real challenge is cost.

Also... I'm pinched here by NDA but all I can say is if I want to fly soon, Cloud 1 is not suitable. Besides it'll be more fun to make my own rocket. I'd like to make a metholox rocket if at all possible.

Will it be dangerous? Oh hell yes. Will it be worth the risk? Oh hell yes. Challenging? Yes.

21 minutes ago, Snark said:

I don't happen to know whether we have any actual astronauts, but we do have NASA types, such as the Project Scientist for NASA's OSIRIS-REx mission:

We also have a few other rocket scientists and a bunch of pilots here, too...

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Gimme 14 years.

8 years Elon time, really. But the likelihood of me getting into the space industry while still in college, and a mission being available right away are slim. Of course, the odds of some 5 year old sticking with his dream and getting there are also slim, but that hasn't stopped me all these years later, and it won't stop me in the years to come!

That puts us (presumably) right in the range of getting to go to Mars, or at least the Moon. I hope I can get the opportunity to visit both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.