KSP Fusion Tech v1.1

UbuntuLinuxKing

This is the 1.1 Release of my Fusion Tech mod, which now includes three types of fusion drives, reactors, a retractable 10m heat shield, a high-power RCS block, and balanced some numbers.

--NOTICE: NEW VERSION WITH PRETTY MODELS N STUFF WILL PROBABLY LAUNCH BY THE WEEKEND--

Changelog:
Reduced thrust of both 3.75m Drives to 50,000 KN.
Reduced thrust of both 0.625m to 10,000 KN.
Removed gimballing on all drives - ship will flail erratically at high throttle due to the game trying to compensate for thrusts it wasn't really designed for by gimballing the drive.
Added Infinity Heat Shield.
Added "Spike" Kerman Drive designed for landing.
Added Kerman RCS Drive for high-power maneuvering (WARNING - NOT TESTED WITH DOCKING)

Enjoy!

PARTS INCLUDED
0.625m Kerman I-Drive (100,000 ISP, 10,000kn)
1.25m Kerman Drive (100,000 ISP, 25,000kn)
1.25 Spike Kerman Drive (Varied ISP, 2000kn)
2.50m Kerman Drive (100,000 ISP, 50,000kn)
3.75m Kerman Drive (100,000 ISP, 50,000kn)
0.625m Basic I-Drive (500 ISP, 10,000kn)
1.25m Basic Drive (1,000 ISP, 25,000kn)
2.50m Basic Drive (1,500 ISP, 50,000kn)
3.75m Basic Drive (1,500 ISP, 50,000kn)
Fusion Reactors (0.625m, 1.25m, 2.5m)
Reusable 10m Inflatable "Infinity Shield" Heat Shield
High thrust & efficiency 4-way RCS block

ALL PARTS USE REGULAR LIQUID FUEL - NO SPECIAL TANKS NEEDED

Kerman Drives are high thrust and VERY high efficiency. (Basically for flying in a straight line really, REALLY fast)
Basic Drives have the same thrust as there same-sized counterpart, but they are very inefficient. (Good for missions with lots of actual orbit maneuvers)
Fusion Reactors make lots of power with a little bit of LiquidFuel.

All rights reserved.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by UbuntuLinuxKing
"License"

11 hours ago, nebuchadnezzar said:

Are you just redistributing squad models and textures? If you don't have original models and textures you should just write MM patches to accomplish the same thing without violating Squad's license. 

Oh yeah, that never really occurred to me. I hate using MM though, so I'll try just putting the filepath to the original models in the cfg file. Thanks for telling me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @UbuntuLinuxKing! Thanks for making the mod. Just a remonder for you: Please add a license according to the add-on posting rules, thanks! Here's the relevant part:

All add-ons, dependencies and packs that are posted on the services maintained by Squad that serve the KSP Community (such as this forum and Curse) must be accompanied by a license for each add-on contained therein, that regulates what other users can do with the copyrighted material.

These licenses must be made available in both the download file as a readme or license text, and in the location the user downloads from (such as a forum post or a Curse listing).

So that means you need to specify a license in the first post of this thread and include the full license text in your download also. Thanks for fixing that.

18 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hi @UbuntuLinuxKing! Thanks for making the mod. Just a remonder for you: Please add a license according to the add-on posting rules, thanks! Here's the relevant part:

<stuff>

So that means you need to specify a license in the first post of this thread and include the full license text in your download also. Thanks for fixing that.

OK, got it. What license would you recommend?

1 hour ago, UbuntuLinuxKing said:

OK, got it. What license would you recommend?

Well that depends what you want people do do with your stuff :)

The link that @DStaal has given you is a great guide for what to choose, but very basically:
Public domain if you don't care what people do with it
Creative commons with the "ND" ending if you want to restrict people from using it in their projects
Other Creative commons variants or MIT for "Do what you want, but I still get credit"
GPL if you want to force anyone else that uses your stuff in their projects to also be bound by the same terms. Can cause problems for them if they are working on a large project with many components and some of the licenses involved don't allow the restrictions that GPL imposes.

On 10/3/2017 at 8:51 AM, Deddly said:

Well that depends what you want people do do with your stuff :)

The link that @DStaal has given you is a great guide for what to choose, but very basically:
Public domain if you don't care what people do with it
Creative commons with the "ND" ending if you want to restrict people from using it in their projects
Other Creative commons variants or MIT for "Do what you want, but I still get credit"
GPL if you want to force anyone else that uses your stuff in their projects to also be bound by the same terms. Can cause problems for them if they are working on a large project with many components and some of the licenses involved don't allow the restrictions that GPL imposes.

Alright, I'll probably do public domain once I get my own models, but for now just sticking "It's Mine" in there seems like it will work. Thanks!

Took this mod for a quick test and I have a few bits of feedback for ya.

I really like the idea of having an engine that works like the Epstein Drive from The Expanse (though I've actually never seen the show, just remembering Scott Manley's video on the subject).  Anyway, on to the feedback.

1) I do feel that the thrust values are way way way out of whack for anyone that plays KSP with G-limits active as I do.  My test ship was using the 1.25m Kerman Drive and I had to set the thrust limit to just 2%-3% (at full throttle) to keep my kerbals from passing out.

2) I do not know what you would have to do to make it work but I feel that these engines need to be able to run throttle up during normal timewarp.  I think there was mod back in the day that did this for the ion engines but I really couldn't tell you for sure.  For the time being I am gonna do some more experimentation using the BetterTimeWarp mod.

3) I also noticed that none of the engines in this mod have gimbal enabled.  This seems to cause an issue in that spacecraft running these engines have a very slight wobble to them.  This is barely noticed at short distances but can be seen quite clearly when flying to other planets such as Duna.  I found it quite hard to maintain a Duna pe while traveling from Kerbin.  Even when setting the SAS to hold on target, the orbit line was wobbling back and forth like mad near Duna.

I like where this mod is going so far, especially since there isn't anything else available like it to my knowledge.  I hope you'll continue to improve it.

9 hours ago, JamesL86 said:

Took this mod for a quick test and I have a few bits of feedback for ya.

I really like the idea of having an engine that works like the Epstein Drive from The Expanse (though I've actually never seen the show, just remembering Scott Manley's video on the subject).  Anyway, on to the feedback.

1) I do feel that the thrust values are way way way out of whack for anyone that plays KSP with G-limits active as I do.  My test ship was using the 1.25m Kerman Drive and I had to set the thrust limit to just 2%-3% (at full throttle) to keep my kerbals from passing out.

2) I do not know what you would have to do to make it work but I feel that these engines need to be able to run throttle up during normal timewarp.  I think there was mod back in the day that did this for the ion engines but I really couldn't tell you for sure.  For the time being I am gonna do some more experimentation using the BetterTimeWarp mod.

3) I also noticed that none of the engines in this mod have gimbal enabled.  This seems to cause an issue in that spacecraft running these engines have a very slight wobble to them.  This is barely noticed at short distances but can be seen quite clearly when flying to other planets such as Duna.  I found it quite hard to maintain a Duna pe while traveling from Kerbin.  Even when setting the SAS to hold on target, the orbit line was wobbling back and forth like mad near Duna.

I like where this mod is going so far, especially since there isn't anything else available like it to my knowledge.  I hope you'll continue to improve it.

Hi! Thanks for looking at my mod. First - yes, the thrust values are ludicrous, especially for KSP. I'll probably make some G-force limited drives, as this issue occure to me when I got 130g of thrust from eight 2.5m drives. Also, I tested the engines under half-throttle using both regular 4x physics warp and 10x BetterTimeWarp when I was first developing this mod, with only a bit of shakiness *with struts*. It would probably explode without them, but such is the nature of crazy rocket engines. About the gimbaling? You think it's bad without it, but my test rocket would flail like a dying fish as the gimbaling code desperately tried to compensate for the forces involved past about 1/3 throttle. End result: death by spinning. I WILL re-enable gimbaling and have it disabled by default so I and others can test it out, as I have only used Kerman drives on my Munar and Minmar colonization projects. Perhaps something has changed. I'll (hopefully) get back to you soon with a new and updated version!

Oh, and one more thing - do you happen to know where I could find some free-use engine models so the drives could look somewhat original? I'm probably going to use Interstellar Extended models for the reactors onceI untangle their liscensing, but they don't appear to have any engines with a similar aesthetic across all the part sizes.

If you go with engine models from Interstellar Extended and have even the slightest experience with 3d modeling or want to give it a go, you could just pick an engine that you like and rescale it a few different times.  Baring that, pick a single size to work with and call it an "engineering challenge" to use it, lol. 

Otherwise I got no idea where to find 3d models.  Even if you found a suitable one out on the net, you'd still have to adapt it for use in KSP.

6 hours ago, JamesL86 said:

If you go with engine models from Interstellar Extended and have even the slightest experience with 3d modeling or want to give it a go, you could just pick an engine that you like and rescale it a few different times.  Baring that, pick a single size to work with and call it an "engineering challenge" to use it, lol. 

Otherwise I got no idea where to find 3d models.  Even if you found a suitable one out on the net, you'd still have to adapt it for use in KSP.

I found something! I think I'll use the models from RoverDude's USI Core and Karbonite for the reactors and drives, respectively.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:29 PM, UbuntuLinuxKing said:

I found something! I think I'll use the models from RoverDude's USI Core and Karbonite for the reactors and drives, respectively.

I'm not sure that's a good idea - those models are All Rights Reserved and CC-BY-SA-NC, respectively, from what I see.  Neither will mix with your license.  (Of course if you release as patches, with those mods as requirements, you're probably fine.  But then of course the player will have multiple identical parts, with very different uses.)

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'm not sure that's a good idea - those models are All Rights Reserved and CC-BY-SA-NC, respectively, from what I see.  Neither will mix with your license.  (Of course if you release as patches, with those mods as requirements, you're probably fine.  But then of course the player will have multiple identical parts, with very different uses.)

Didn't use them in the end. New update - I use models from the Space Opera mod and Interstellar.

11 hours ago, DStaal said:

Not sure if that's kosher either, actually.  :wink: Both of them have share-alike licenses.

Changed my liscense to CC-BY-SA 4.0 in the new version, which was the most similar at a quick glance . If worst comes to worst, I'll just remove the Interstellar assets and use Space Opera and my crap modeling skills.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.