What mods should i use to make the game harder, more realistic but fun ?

Legacy763

Hi, so i'm brand new to the mod users list, i found it way easier than i expected to play the career and get through the tech tree, enough that even if i didn't leave Kerbal SOI (including mun and minmus) i got already to tech 4 without needing to spend much money, i don't know if i was too effiecent but i'd like to make it a bit harder. I want to make the game a bit more challenging, i've made it already quite through the settings but by year 2 i had already good satellite comms and ready to setup my refueling base on far orbits. 

So i'd like to find mods where my kerbals feel more like actual living, where they need supplies, have to be carefull of radiation. Some inventory systems or refueling stuff, it doesn't have to be too complicated but just so it doesnt feel like once i'm launched into the sky and on orbit then the ship doesn't need anymore attention. 

Please help me find a simple list of mods not too harsh on the system that would make my experience of KSP even more enjoyable and maybe some for visual too (any clouds or lights effects) . Thank you. 

(P.s. I know i could lower the amount of science but it makes career beginnings just not enjoyable and too long to get up the tree for decent parts.)

Most life support mods out there usually makes kerbals need a resources to live, but you can't leave them unsupervised. Every kerbals (in most life support that I know) need a constant resupply in their station, base, outpost, probes, mining site, etc. Some goes beyond a simple need of food, water and oxygen (such as TAC life support, which introduce a waste recycling system), or add psychological system (such as kerbalism, which adds radiation and living space, as well as sociability status), however you do need to keep a scheduled resupply mission to keep them alive. This may or may not be a chore for you, depending for your playstyle, since this means, timewarping can cause severe issue of your supply level during long mission (such as encounter of jool in 2 years, you timewarp, then after encounter, you find that all kerbals in your mun base is dead due to having only 1 year supply). Some mods get around this issue (such as DeepFreeze, which makes your kerbals being put into cryosleep, during which they won't consume any supplies, its also tweakable to determine of soft/ hard the sci-fi level of cryosleep). As for inventory system, there's KIS/ KAS mods which allows kerbals to have inventory items (from novelty level such as wearing pilot sunglasses, holding a bottle of beer, to attaching/ reattaching parts in orbit, such as RCS thrusters that's no longer needed. you can even flip a flipped rover/ ship or, if you want, build a rover/ ship from scratch on other planet/ orbit, as long as your container can hold all the necessary parts and enough kerbals to do it)

Hope that helps :)

Edited by ARS

In addition to What @ARS said, there's TestFlight, wich will cause random engine failures or BARIS, wich can cause failures on almost any part (tank ruptures, wear, etc.).

Another thing you can do is using Sigma Dimensions to scale up the Kerbol System. This will increase Delta v requirements and makes (depending on the scaling factor you choose) the game much more challenging. The ultimate challenge would of course be to play in RSS (real solar system) with RO (realism overhaul). 

Check this out: 

Edited by Physics Student

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.