Where is Nibiru today?

Ty Tan Tu

Given that Nibiru is scheduled to destroy the world on Saturday, I was trying to figure out where it is today. It supposedly has a period of 3,600 years. Since it is going to collide with Earth, I figure its perihelion has to be no more than 1 AU. That would put the aphelion out at about 469 AU or about 70 billion kilometers. So if it is due to hit us in about five days, where would it be right now?

Edited by Ty Tan Tu
It is only 70 billion kilometers not 700

Sort of math follows:

Earth orbits at ~30km/s.

Solar escape velocity from 1AU orbit: ~42km/s?

Max velocity of Nibiru relative to Earth: 12km/s.

Average angle of approach: 75% straight on?

So only traveling at an average of 75% of 12km/s - 9km/s

5 days = 120 hours = 7200 minutes = 432000 seconds.

Ans*9= 3.8 million kilometers.

That's about 10x further away than the moon. Although I can guarantee you the math is probably nowhere near accurate.

Assuming the object in question is about the size of the moon, it would definitely be visible in the sky at this point.

But I've got bigger problems to worry about - Homecoming just became an end of the world party/dance thing. :D

Nah, just kidding. 99.9% chance the world will not end.

44 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Sort of math follows:

Earth orbits at ~30km/s.

Solar escape velocity from 1AU orbit: ~42km/s?

Max velocity of Nibiru relative to Earth: 12km/s.

Average angle of approach: 75% straight on?

So only traveling at an average of 75% of 12km/s - 9km/s

5 days = 120 hours = 7200 minutes = 432000 seconds.

Ans*9= 3.8 million kilometers.

I was doing these calculations when I saw that you replied. For slightly more accurate data:

Solar escape velocity from 1AU orbit: 42.13km/s

Earth's current orbital speed: 29.65km/s

Relative velocity: 12.48km/s

AOA is negligible over such large distances

12.48km/s for 5 days = 5.39 million km

Angular size from Earth (assuming P9-sized object): a bit over 0.4 degrees

Edited by ChrisSpace

It should be visible near Saturn in the evening sky as a very bright planet if it approaches from behind Earth. I looked in that direction yesterday without seeing anything out of the ordinary, so be sure to let me know if you see anything that looks like a new planet!

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

It should be visible near Saturn in the evening sky as a very bright planet if it approaches from behind Earth. I looked in that direction yesterday without seeing anything out of the ordinary, so be sure to let me know if you see anything that looks like a new planet!

Yeah, I was looking that way a few days ago (mostly to see Saturn one last time while Cassini was still there) and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (although my telescope wasn't working so I had to use my binoculars).

@ChrisSpace YES! I was somewhat close!

THERE

IS

NO 

NIBIRU.

Go on with your lives. A planet sized object that has a very elliptical orbit would have been discovered by now, and if everybody's calculations are correct, we should all see with our eyes right now.

Go, take a look.

Don't see it? Well, that's because it doesn't exist.

Do a search on Google on Nibiru. The first 4 pages are full of the most BS filled conspiracy sites on Earth. These make the Flat Earther's look sane.

Seriously, go on with your lives, wake up Sunday, go to church (or whatever you do on Sundays. I do my laundry) and enjoy your afternoon Frappachino.

30 minutes ago, GDJ said:

THERE

IS

NO 

NIBIRU.

Go on with your lives. A planet sized object that has a very elliptical orbit would have been discovered by now, and if everybody's calculations are correct, we should all see with our eyes right now.

Go, take a look.

Do a search on Google on Nibiru. The first 4 pages are full of the most BS filled conspiracy sites on Earth. These make the Flat Earther's look sane.

Seriously, go on with your lives, wake up Sunday, go to church (or whatever you do on Sundays. I do my laundry) and enjoy your afternoon Frappachino.

Well, Tie fighters don't exist, but that doesn't prevent us from talking about them. It may be a crazy conspiracy theory, but it could make good B-movie sci fi.

31 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Tie fighters don't exist

They don't?!
But if so, what is the thing Darth Vader flies in?

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

Don't know, don't know... They always say so to hide a terrible truth.

P.S.
Happily, we have pyramids. They will generate the protective field and deflect Nibiru, as always.

Edited by kerbiloid

Forget Nibiru, what you want to worry about is a quantum vacuum metastability event. It could literally happen anywhere, at any time, and would create a bubble of quasi-destruction expanding at the speed of light.

It could  be NOW!

Orrrrrrrr..............................NOW!

ORMAYBENOW!!!

Waaaaaaiiiit forrrrrr iiiiiiiiiiiitttt......................

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Forget Nibiru, what you want to worry about is a quantum vacuum metastability event. It could literally happen anywhere, at any time, and would create a bubble of quasi-destruction expanding at the speed of light.

It could  be NOW!

Orrrrrrrr..............................NOW!

ORMAYBENOW!!!

Waaaaaaiiiit forrrrrr iiiiiiiiiiiitttt......................

It's always comforting to know that at any time, you and everything you see can be wiped out of existence, rending everything you did and hoped for completely pointless. You and everything you see will be forgotten in an instant, no matter what you have done in your life. 

Okay, I'm kidding. That got really psychological, didn't it? :P In reality it's horrifying to think about on a daily basis. That is why one must be distracted by the dankest of memes.

Now, back on topic:

Technically, Nibiru DOES exist! It's called Planet Nine. Don't expect to ever see it for the next decade or so. Also, Nibiru's supposed orbit would not just wreak havoc on Earth. Every other planet would be affected as well. A massive object with such a crazy orbit would interact with all the other planets, changing orbits and leading to a bowling pin effect of gravitational interactions. Pretty soon EVERY planet will have a somewhat different orbit, and chances are that Jupiter would fling out Nibiru after just a few of its orbits. 

8 hours ago, GDJ said:

THERE IS NO NIBIRU.

While I totally agree, I'm not sure if that was the OP's point.

Yes, a real impact with Nibiru in a few days is total kraken krap, but I still think it's a fascinating question. If it were real... where would it be right now, especially given the fact it's never been observed, that we know of, or interacted with any other planets?? 

I'm thinking it would have to have a really, really weird orbit.

Edited by Just Jim

52 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

While I totally agree, I'm not sure if that was the OP's point.

Yes, real impact with Nibiru in a few days is total kraken krap, I still think it's a fascinating question. If it were real... where would it be right now, especially given the fact it's never been observed, that we know of, or interacted with any other planets?? 

I had a student ask me about this last week. My suggestion - if it were real, grab a lawn chair, your favorite adult beverage, sit back and watch the show. There's nothing you could do to stop it by worrying and obsessing over it. Heck, NASA cannot even stop a one-mile asteroid from hitting the planet...

9 hours ago, GDJ said:

THERE

IS

NO 

NIBIRU.

Go, take a look.

*Goes to Starbucks* Yeah, could I get a Pumpkin Spice? I've never had one so since I'm about to die in a fiery cataclysmic explosion, might as well, right?

If there was such a thing as 'Niburu' we would all have known by now. Not even the most discredited organization by conspiracy theorists (Spoiler Alert: its NASA) can hide it now, its like trying to calm down passangers from a plane when the plane already lost its wings and its crashing down to the surface at the speed of sound. It does not matter how much money, swag and power you got, proof you are wrong is right in front of you and nobody will think you are right about what you say.

Oh and never trust people who claim 'the world is ending', the last time the world ended was last week according to those people, 2012 wass a little bit more popular for some reason. But with 2012's logic, the world should end at 31st of december 2017 because that is when my calender ends.

Edited by NSEP

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

If there was such a thing as 'Niburu' we would all have known by now.

Oh and never trust people who claim 'the world is ending', the last time the world ended was last week according to those people, 2012 wass a little bit more popular for some reason. But with 2012's logic, the world should end at 31st of december 2017 because that is when my calender ends.

Can't end then either. My local bank has already sent me the 2018 calendar. SO now we'll have to wait until December 31, 2018 for the world to end.

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Can't end then either. My local bank has already sent me the 2018 calendar. SO now we'll have to wait until December 31, 2018 for the world to end.

But.. But... F1 tracks have contracts up until 2020! so that means that the world won't end until at least 2020

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

But.. But... F1 tracks have contracts up until 2020! so that means that the world won't end until at least 2020

There you go... so see, until 2020, we are safe. But wait, my last student loan payment is scheduled for April 30, 2027. So with that said... perhaps the end of the world is May 1st, 2027?

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

There you go... so see, until 2020, we are safe. But wait, my last student loan payment is scheduled for April 30, 2027. So with that said... perhaps the end of the world is May 1st, 2027?

Well those people who win America's Got Talent get their million dollars over 40 years. So.. That means that we're safe until 2057!

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm hoping to be abducted by aliens long before then. :rolleyes:

Not happenin... not if we keep broadcasting the kinda music into space that we've been, like you posted a good example of in that other thread.....

...and then there's the tv show lineup for this fall, all the new premiers. It's hopeless.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit, I

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm hoping to be abducted by aliens long before then. :rolleyes:

I'm watching for a Magic Boulder...

I read somewhere that one of the wilder theories of Parallel Universes suggests by me writing Emiko Station, I have, in fact, created my own Emiko universe... somewhere.

If this is true, then I'm holding out for Emiko's Magic Boulder to suddenly appear in my backyard, and have Emiko pop out and say

"OK, come on..."

Right before Nibiru hits... :D

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.