linuxgurugamer

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 2:30 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release 0.7.0

• Rebuild for KSP 1.8.x

Hi

I have two issues with this mod :

1- It does not show Community Tech Tree at the start of the new game (I installed both using ckan and only see stock in the list)

2- If I want to install a second tech tree (like Tetrix) CKAN does not let me saying that it conflicts with CTT

I can handle the second problem by manually downloading and installing the mod in the folder, but why does the plugin ignores the CTT?

25 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

1- It does not show Community Tech Tree at the start of the new game (I installed both using ckan and only see stock in the list)

2- If I want to install a second tech tree (like Tetrix) CKAN does not let me saying that it conflicts with CTT

I can handle the second problem by manually downloading and installing the mod in the folder, but why does the plugin ignores the CTT?

It can only shot those tech trees which were designed to use it.  Currently the only active one I am aware of is the ETT.

CKAN is correct

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Biggles16 said:

I'm trying to design a custom tech tree for the 150 mods that I have installed. Is this the right mod to use? If so, how do I use it as I can't seem to get it to work?

I can help ya. Just ask away or PM me. There are advantages and disadvantages of using the Yonge method. 

11 hours ago, Probus said:

I can help ya. Just ask away or PM me. There are advantages and disadvantages of using the Yonge method.

I've installed 150+ mods and a good chunk of them add parts or new tech tree nodes. As I understand it, I first need to convert my game to this mod's tech tree format somehow so that it can override the tech tree?

Then I need to use the tech tree editor program below to edit it I think? (Which I also have no idea how to use.)

4 hours ago, Biggles16 said:

I've installed 150+ mods and a good chunk of them add parts or new tech tree nodes. As I understand it, I first need to convert my game to this mod's tech tree format somehow so that it can override the tech tree?

Then I need to use the tech tree editor program below to edit it I think? (Which I also have no idea how to use.)

Yessir.  That is correct.  Yongetech is essentially the support mod to use the TED editor.  It is a pretty basic UI but it makes laying out and editing nodes very easy.  The only drawback is that you have to create an accompanying module manager file for any parts that MM changes the default tech tree node. 

//Squad Expansions
@PART[Size1p5_Size2_Adapter_01]:FINAL //Fuel Tank Adapter 06-18
{
	@TechRequired = fuelSystems
}

I also use it to rearrange some parts depending on what mods are installed.  For instance, if propellers and engines are available I push the jet parts back for the 'Flight First' option of my tech tree:

//If SquadExpansion parts are not available, make some last minute adjustments
@TechTree:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion]:FINAL //Move 
{
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[aviation]]
	{
		@Unlocks
		{
			%part = miniIntake //Move mini intake
			%part = miniJetEngine //Move mini jet engine
		}
	}
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[mk0]]
	{
		@Unlocks
		{
			-part = miniIntake //Remove mini intake
			-part = miniJetEngine //Remove mini jet engine
		}
	}
}

Edited by Probus

Try hard not to use :FINAL in your MM patches unless it is only for you.

if you want a list of mods and parts look at the file in the TETRIX Tech Tree as it has an extensive list.

Use also the Part Info mod to work out exactly which parts you are need to patch.  It saves so many headaches! 

Peace

I think I cheated many years ago and renamed Squad's stock tech tee config file and put mine in it's place. Then loaded TED and loaded stock. 

Ya know I think there was also a stock tech tree converter utility buried in either the Yongetech or TED mods. 

Edited by Probus

On 5/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, Probus said:

I think I cheated many years ago and renamed Squad's stock tech tee config file and put mine in it's place. Then loaded TED and loaded stock. 

Ya know I think there was also a stock tech tree converter utility buried in either the Yongetech or TED mods. 

Yeah, I cant seem to get it to work.

• 2 years later...

I'm working on building a tech tree with this mod now, but the stock tree doesn't get removed. Is that just because the stock tech tree still has parts assigned to it because I've not reassigned them to my custom tree yet? Will the stock tree be removed when the nodes are empty? If not, what can I do to remove the stock tech tree?

9 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I'm working on building a tech tree with this mod now, but the stock tree doesn't get removed. Is that just because the stock tech tree still has parts assigned to it because I've not reassigned them to my custom tree yet? Will the stock tree be removed when the nodes are empty? If not, what can I do to remove the stock tech tree?

Well, as a quick workaround, I rename the stock tech tree to ".old".  There may be a betterer way, but this works.  You might ask @linuxgurugamerif he knows of a better workaround. 

@linuxgurugamer Thanks for the quick recompile. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem. My custom tech tree remains overlaid on top of the vanilla tech tree. Additionally, the new tech tree's "start" node does not override the stock "start" node, meaning that all custom nodes with the "start" node as a prerequisite require the stock version of the node rather than the custom one.

I did find that it's possible to trick the stock tree into hiding itself by manually editing the stock file so that all nodes are hidden when empty, and making a separate patch that moves all unassigned parts into a dedicated overflow node. However, since I'm wanting to publish this tech tree once it's done I'd rather not have to tell players to manually edit the stock files, and this workaround still doesn't solve the start node issue.

1 hour ago, septemberWaves said:

@linuxgurugamer Thanks for the quick recompile. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem. My custom tech tree remains overlaid on top of the vanilla tech tree. Additionally, the new tech tree's "start" node does not override the stock "start" node, meaning that all custom nodes with the "start" node as a prerequisite require the stock version of the node rather than the custom one.

I did find that it's possible to trick the stock tree into hiding itself by manually editing the stock file so that all nodes are hidden when empty, and making a separate patch that moves all unassigned parts into a dedicated overflow node. However, since I'm wanting to publish this tech tree once it's done I'd rather not have to tell players to manually edit the stock files, and this workaround still doesn't solve the start node issue.

No promises, but if you send me what you have, I may have some time to look at it.

Without your mod, I can't do anything since no one else is using this anymore.

Frankly, have you looked at how some of the other tech trees work?  Maybe they can be an inspiration for you;  they seem to be able to do it without this mod

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No promises, but if you send me what you have, I may have some time to look at it.

Without your mod, I can't do anything since no one else is using this anymore.

Frankly, have you looked at how some of the other tech trees work?  Maybe they can be an inspiration for you;  they seem to be able to do it without this mod

I have tried to make a tech tree without this mod. The reason I thought to try this mod was because it, in combination with Tech Tree Editor Revived, allows for a much more accelerated workflow, because instead of having to manually place every individual part in a config file to patch its tech tree placement, I can instead just do it with the Tech Tree Editor Revived UI. The tech tree isn't the only thing I'm rebalancing, so being able to assign parts to tech nodes more efficiently gives me more time to work on other changes.

Here's the current iteration of my tech tree:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31inir0y1ko25r0/000TechTree.cfg?dl=0

And here's the patch to move unassigned parts into a default node:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1oy5behyikunlc/001DefaultNode.cfg?dl=0

Other than this mod, it also requires BDB if you want to actually see any parts in the tree because I've not allocated stock parts yet, but if you're just troubleshooting the tech tree itself then you probably don't need that. The only other thing which may be relevant is that this install also contains a currently-unchanged version of Kerbalism with the default KerbalismConfig, since it adds experiments to some tech nodes but the experiments aren't actually parts, they just modify parts.

Also worth noting is the fact that the tech tree file was generated by Tech Tree Editor Revived using the option to allow it to work with this mod (the only manual edits I've made were to add a couple of parts that didn't show up in the editor UI for some reason). If Tech Tree Editor Revived is doing something to the file that it shouldn't, or if it's not doing something to the file that it should be doing, that might be the reason the stock tech tree doesn't get overridden properly.

Renaming the stock tech tree file to something other than a .cfg file as someone else suggested earlier does solve the problem of the stock tree showing up and allows the custom tree to override the start node, but it does mean that when I distribute the final version I'll have to tell people to modify the stock files manually. If that's something I have to do, then it's an acceptable workaround, though is far from ideal. Thanks for taking the time to look at this, if there is a fix that'd be great, but at least there is a manual workaround.

Edited by septemberWaves

• 11 months later...

Hi LGG! Wondering if you had any luck in fixing this. I note that it's a somewhat niche/un-used mod, so I quite understand if not.

Yonge Tech Trees only came to my attention for the first time today, when searching for a way to switch between different tech trees in a single KSP installation. The goal is to be able to select the tech tree of my choice at the start of a new game session  without corrupting any existing games that are underway, rather than having to run a whole separate KSP installation with the new tree installed. It looks like this mod can do that, but at the coast of some incompatibility issues/pitfalls...? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree (no pun intended!)...?  =:o}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.