[1.9.x] YongeTech Tech Trees Plugin Re-Revived

linuxgurugamer

@yongedevil hasn't been around for a year and a half.  I've provided an updated version for the ETT, but am doing it now as a full release, so that it can be in CKAN as well.

Original thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/112886-104-yongetech-tech-trees-plugin-v13/

Source Code: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/YTK_TechTrees

Download:  https://spacedock.info/mod/1526/YongeTech: Tech Trees Plugin Re-Revived

License:  MIT (see below)

Xi4qKoj.jpg

About the Mod

The Tech Trees Plugin provides support to make creating and using custom tech trees easier.

• Allows part unlocks to be listed in the TechTree ConfigNode rather than having to edit every Part ConfigNode.
  • Adds support for using custom textures to create icons for the tech tree.
  • Adds a tree selection window to let the player select a tree for each new game.

Installation

Copy the contents of GameData into the Kerbal GameData folder.

Known Issues

This mod tracks parts by their name field. This means it does not work properly when multiple parts have the same name.

Both this mod and ModuleManager (on version 2.6.5 as of this writing) attempt to edit the tech tree of the current game. This mod's changes should have priority.

If you would like to disable the option to select a tech tree and the conflict with ModuleManager change the "allowTreeSelection" field in PluginData/YongeTech_TechTreesExpansion/config.xml from '1' to '0'. This will keep support for the TechTree ConfigNode additions and custom icon support, but remove the option to select a tech tree.

Tech Trees

YongeTech: Great Big Sky Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Wide and shallow tech tree. Feel free to use as an example on how to setup a tech tree with this mod.

Using a Tech Tree

When starting a new Science or Career game a window will appear asking you to select a tech tree to use. Pick a tree from the drop-down list and below it will show the description and some stats for that tree.

Total Cost and Total Nodes are the total cost to researcher all nodes on the tree and the total number of nodes in the tree. These numbers exclude hidden nodes. The tiers for the nodes are those nodes that can be researched at that tier of the Research and Development facility.

Creating a Tech Tree

Create a new TechTree ConfigNode and place in your mod. This mod will locate and add any TechTree ConfigNodes to the list automatically.

The TechTree should be setup like normal with some additions shown in the code below:

TechTree
{
  title = Sample TechTree
  description = An incomplete TechTree showing the basic setup
  unlockAllStartParts = True

RDNode
  {
    Unlocks
    {
      part = solidBooster_sm
      part = probeStackAdapter
      part = standardNoseCone
      part = sensorThermometer
      part = basicFin
    }
  }
}

TechTree ConfigNode:

title: The name of the tree. Displayed in the tech tree selection window when starting a new game. (approximately a 45 character limit)

description - Single paragraph description of the tree for the player. Displayed in the tech tree selection window when starting a new game. (approximately a 400 character limit)

unlockAllStartParts: (optional) If set to True the mod will unlock all parts attached to the starting node(s), that is all RDNodes with an entryCost of 0. This is only relevant if No Entry Purchase Required on Research is disabled in difficulty settings.

Unlocks ConfigNode:

part: name of a part to unlock with the parent RDNode.

Custom Icon Textures

The mod will create icons for use in a tech tree from any png or tga files it finds in folders named “RDSimpleIconsâ€Â. The icons will have the same name as the image file, without the extension.

.../RDSimpleIcons/customIcon_tech.png will become "icon = customIcon_tech"

Tech Tree Converter

The YongeTech Tech Tree Converter helps convert existing tech trees by filling in the Unlocks nodes for all techs. It will add all parts that:

• Have a TechRequired of that node.
  • Are not listed in another tech node's Unlock section.

It writes the filled out TechTree to a txt file in the mod's directory. It performs this conversion for all TechTrees installed, and it also dose not name the output files in any meaningful way. It is necessary to inspect the output files to locate the correct tree and then add the title and description fields to it.

Licence

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@linuxgurugamer The problem is that if I choose a new tech tree, it is empty, except for a few stock parts.

I don't understand. You have multiple tech trees installed, and you are having a problem switching, or are you building a new tech tree?

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

It seems that this plugin does not take HETTN into account, see

and the following 5 posts ...

Did you bother to read the last post?  Where it says:

If I remember correctly, doesn't HETTN have a note specifically about it not working with yongeTech? Its under their ETT notes section on the mod page.

On 3/31/2018 at 3:06 AM, DracoSilverpath said:

I don't suppose so..but any chance of somehow making this work with Unmanned Before Manned tech tree? :) It doesn't show up on the list of trees when loading up a game with YongeTech

Probably would require a rewrite of the unmanned Before Manned

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hoping someone can help me.

I'm using ETT as my tech tree and want to customise it slightly.  I'm hoping to be able to use a MM config file to amend a couple of parts.  I have an understanding of the node structure that's in place:

RDNode
  {
    Unlocks
    {
      part = solidBooster_sm
      part = solidBooster_med
      part = solidBooster_lg
      part = probeStackAdapter
      part = standardNoseCone
      part = sensorThermometer
      part = basicFin
    }
  }

I'd like to be able to use a filter to selectively remove some of the parts in the Unlocks module (e.g., delete anything that has solid* in it). Anyone able to advise the MM syntax I would need to use to do this?

Are there any pre-requisites for this mod to run correctly?  I have this installed along with ETT and ModuleManager 3.0.7 and I am not being presented with the tree selection window at the start of a new game.  Wondering if there is a bug or if I have missed something when installing the mod.

Here's what I'm seeing in the save game .sfs file:

SCENARIO
    {
        name = YT_TechTreesScenario
        scene = 5
        treeSelected = False
        TechTreeUrl = GameData/ModuleManager.TechTree
    }

I've also checked the allowTreeSelection tag in the config.xml file, this is set to 1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.