Apollo CM Dimensions

Cadet_BNSF

Just a thought...if you're intending this part to integrate with the rest of the parts in the game you probably want to fudge it to one of the standard sizes. .625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, etc. You can make your own sizes, but it's limit players to only using the parts you provide.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, Tyko said:

Just a thought...if you're intending this part to integrate with the rest of the parts in the game you probably want to fudge it to one of the standard sizes. .625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, etc. You can make your own sizes, but it's limit players to only using the parts you provide.

I both agree with this and DISAGREE with this.

Here is why:

Agree that Parts working together is the whole point of playing in KSP.

DISAGREE because if you make enough parts at say... 1.5m then who cares! You have enough parts to play with :) (BDB Thor, Juno-II, Titan-I and Delta-I/II anyone?)

Honestly you run into two problems in KSP that affect scaling.  The Size of the VAB/SPH (Not using Hanger extender) and amount of work you may be willing to do to make your parts.

I have now flown 4 different mods takes of Saturn/Apollo.   The closest to scale (not counting the various permutations in RO... since I play stock scale) was RealScale Boosters (Stock Scale) by Necrobones,   Followed by BlueDog Design Bureau from CobaltWolf et al, and then DennyTX's Apollo mod as updated by Frizzank in FASA.  

my current workhorse is BlueDog's in-part due to the awesome stock-alike look and feel, and 2nd because it is a real good platform to build other variants both MLV and Saturn INT family as well as Earth To the Sky derived parts.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:22 PM, Pappystein said:

I both agree with this and DISAGREE with this.

Here is why:

Agree that Parts working together is the whole point of playing in KSP.

I have a actual scale RL10b engine you can put on the back of it. lol. Its just so easy to make fuel tanks and engines if you make a decent part send me the file and I'll use it. The hard part is the command modules because of the hatch transforms and the interiors. Actually I don't really ever look at interiors. For me its all about the functional stuff. 

First Off, most all of KSP parts can be rescaled. if you have 1 1.5 meter diameter rocket, just take a 0.625 radius rocket and copy the cfg and

-rename the cfg   e.g. factorOnesection ----> factorOneSection5over4
-open the cfg
-change the parts name.
-change the rescaleFactor to 1.2
-change the title
-change the mass . . . . .new mass = old mass x 1.728
-save the cfg

go to space station view. Open cheat window (Alt -F12)

choose database. Reload database. Go to VAB. Add the new size of part.

done.

Forgot to add if they are a fuel tank increase fuel by 72.8%
If it is an coupler or stack separator you might want to increase the ejection force by 44%.

Edited by PB666

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.