Need a gamesave guru

Geonovast

Last night I was testing a craft in my science save.  This ship is being built specifically for Duna, and so I needed to test some things at Duna.  Used F12 to warp my way there.  I specifically made sure to revert everything back to the way it's supposed to be before saving.

Or so I'd thought.

I just loaded up the save, and that ship is still in orbit around Duna with Jeb and Bill on board.  All the recent quicksaves are in the same condition.  I'm not quite sure how this has happened.  My problem though, is I would really like to make this ship disappear, get the two home, and not accrue any science in the process.  I could F12 them back to Kerbin and retrieve them, but I'm worried I'll get some science in the process for that.  I'd rather not kill them.

Link to save file (edit: seems it autosaved between me F12ing it back to Kerbin and uploading).  Name of the ship in question is Project Washburn

Modlist

Spoiler

XtC3ib.png

Is there anything I can do besides learn to make a backup of the save outside of KSP before playing in the "simulator?"

TIA.

Edited by Geonovast

Initially I thought it would be like that, but skimming over the save file, there's mission histories and progress tracking that I could see getting messed up from me mucking around in there when half the stuff I can't infer what it does.

This is tough. The big problem is you probably got some contracts auto-completed for Duna as well, which gave you not just science, but rep and funds as well. This is the best I can do for you:

1. First, back up everything. Before sending your guys to Duna, even :wink: But no, keep a fresh copy of the file.
  2. Then, alt-f12 your guys back to Kerbin orbit, and then the surface. DO NOT RECOVER ANYTHING.
  3. Get the Kerbals out of the ship so they're standing on the surface.
  4. Alt-F12 everything else back into space and Terminate it from the tracking station. I say to do it this way because I think you can't terminate on the surface, only recover.
  5. Save the game, and make another backup of your save file.
  6. Edit your save, looking for every reference to Duna. Delete it if it looks anything like it was put there when you went. If in doubt, just delete the one line but sometimes you may need to delete a whole block of data. I'd leave the contracts alone, because I have no idea how they work, but the list of where a Kerbal has been and the list of whether or not you've been to a planet is pretty straightforward.
  7. Load that save, and hope your two Kerbals are on the surface of Kerbin with no knowledge that they were ever gone.

Oh, and good luck! :)

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

This is tough. The big problem is you probably got some contracts auto-completed for Duna as well, which gave you not just science, but rep and funds as well. This is the best I can do for you:

Luckily, this is a science save.  No rep, contracts, or funds to worry about.

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

1. First, back up everything. Before sending your guys to Duna, even :wink: But no, keep a fresh copy of the file.
  2. Then, alt-f12 your guys back to Kerbin orbit, and then the surface. DO NOT RECOVER ANYTHING.
  3. Get the Kerbals out of the ship so they're standing on the surface.
  4. Alt-F12 everything else back into space and Terminate it from the tracking station. I say to do it this way because I think you can't terminate on the surface, only recover.
  5. Save the game, and make another backup of your save file.
  6. Edit your save, looking for every reference to Duna. Delete it if it looks anything like it was put there when you went. If in doubt, just delete the one line but sometimes you may need to delete a whole block of data. I'd leave the contracts alone, because I have no idea how they work, but the list of where a Kerbal has been and the list of whether or not you've been to a planet is pretty straightforward.
  7. Load that save, and hope your two Kerbals are on the surface of Kerbin with no knowledge that they were ever gone.

Oh, and good luck! :)

I like this, probably going to be a lot easier than what I just finished.  20 minutes of deleting stuff from the save in a way that made sense to me (The ship in question by itself was at least 7,000 lines.), only for the game to not load. Luckily this is my first encounter with Duna as well, no probes beforehand.  So there shouldn't be any Duna references at all that I would need to keep!

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

20 minutes of deleting stuff from the save in a way that made sense to me (The ship in question by itself was at least 7,000 lines.), only for the game to not load.

Yeah the game expects odd things in save files. I swear sometimes it uses the ship's placement in the file, relative to other ships. So, when you deleted that one ship it thought another ship was that ship, and another one was that other ship, etc. and then there were one less ships than it expected. It's far better to try to do as much in-game as possible, and only go to the save as a last resort.

Good to hear it's a science save. You should be golden once you remove all the references.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.