Solar-powered SSTO

i just got the (older) Deep-Space Missions pack, and decided to toy around with it, like I typically do during the first time I run the game with new parts. I happened to make a SSTO-capable Ion engine propelled craft. the only catch: It only is SSTO during the day. ;) Includes landing gear, but be careful! the strength of the battery-engine link is not the best.

Edited by MaverickSawyer
Update of info

Jett, you'll be able to edit and upload pics as soon as you reach 5 posts and the upgrader script notices you, it's best to upload files to 3rd part sites though and link them here, as everyone only gets 20mb of storage here.

Pastebin is good for text files, while Mediafire can handle mods, and Imgur is great for pics :)

Yeah, the DSM ion engine is waaaay to powerful. The thrust value should be 10 at most, nowhere near 50.

Unless this was posted before a change i don't see how the engine is to powerful. It has 50 thrust and between the battery and the engine it has a mass of 7, giving a thrust to weight of 0.71. I tried building a Ion only ship and couldn't get it off the ground. Even with the lightest pod, five ion engines and just one battery, still only had a thrust to weight of about .9.

Anywho, this craft file didn't work for me. So I think he must have removed some of the parts or something.

Unless this was posted before a change i don't see how the engine is to powerful. It has 50 thrust and between the battery and the engine it has a mass of 7, giving a thrust to weight of 0.71. I tried building a Ion only ship and couldn't get it off the ground. Even with the lightest pod, five ion engines and just one battery, still only had a thrust to weight of about .9.

Anywho, this craft file didn't work for me. So I think he must have removed some of the parts or something.

This used the non-0.16 updated version. I'll go back and edit the title and OP to address this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.