ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

10 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

52 dollars, but for being at 3.7 km only from the pad I could not regret such an investment.

Ve6kQWt.png

I will try to do my best for the pictures.

Not too shabby. If you spent all the money to go down their, $52 is not too much.

9 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Not too shabby. If you spent all the money to go down their, $52 is not too much.

Alas, it's only for the place at the observation gantry (plus the transportation from the Visitor Complex to the site). Hopefully, I bought an annual pass in last October, so at least I will not have to pay the $50 admission which is mandatory otherwise... sometime when I'm seeing some family of five to seven members coming here, and just for the day, I can see the credit cards fuming in their wallets.

I guess the worst was with Falcon Heavy, as they sold the seats at nearly $200, a new record here, and still it was to look at it from the Saturn V building.

2 hours ago, XB-70A said:

Alas, it's only for the place at the observation gantry (plus the transportation from the Visitor Complex to the site). Hopefully, I bought an annual pass in last October, so at least I will not have to pay the $50 admission which is mandatory otherwise... sometime when I'm seeing some family of five to seven members coming here, and just for the day, I can see the credit cards fuming in their wallets.

I guess the worst was with Falcon Heavy, as they sold the seats at nearly $200, a new record here, and still it was to look at it from the Saturn V building.

You could get a boat and go into the bay, though I think range would probably shoo you off.

On 2/27/2018 at 1:27 PM, PB666 said:

You could get a boat and go into the bay, though I think range would probably shoo you off.

The problem is that if I got enough in my wallet for buying a ticket, I can't afford the penalty they will charge me for going here with a boat... plus the fact that I will never go in Banana river, even with a large boat, due to these guys:

7Xuw9sR.jpg

4 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

The problem is that if I got enough in my wallet for buying a ticket, I can't afford the penalty they will charge me for going here with a boat... plus the fact that I will never go in Banana river, even with a large boat, due to these guys:

7Xuw9sR.jpg

Alligators no problem, unless your boat is a boogy board or a jet ski.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

In the webcast, it said there will be three burns of the Centaur. Is this direct-to-GEO? My mission clone went to KTO and used the payload to circularize.

Yes it looks like the Centaur is doing the circularization maneuver.

Wait. Did I hear that right? "The fairing also covers the Centaur second stage in this configuration." But in the video NASA showed just prior the payload was encapsulated in another building. How in the world does that work?

1 minute ago, CoreI said:

Wait. Did I hear that right? "The fairing also covers the Centaur second stage in this configuration." But in the video NASA showed just prior the payload was encapsulated in another building. How in the world does that work?

It looks like this:

9052414.jpg?602

With the 5 meter fairing both the Payload and the Centaur stage are covered.

The RL-10 sure is a wimpy engine (REALLY long burn times) but it's got amazing specific impulse.

Why is the third Centaur burn after a three-hour coast? The burn would be nowhere near periapsis, which is what I'd expect if you're going for a supersync. Does it raise periapsis or just apoapsis? 

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

The RL-10 sure is a wimpy engine (REALLY long burn times) but it's got amazing specific impulse.

Why is the third Centaur burn after a three-hour coast? The burn would be nowhere near periapsis, which is what I'd expect if you're going for a supersync. Does it raise periapsis or just apoapsis? 

It apparently raises the periapsis and modifies the inclination.