ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

Here is my small contribution to the "live" community. The pictures were took from a parking spot of Playalinda Beach, about 10 km/6 miles from the LC-41.

aqVVFiH.png

Spoiler

CMWoqdb.png

9NVbmJv.png

VMLc71p.png

AyOErv7.png

A14SCKz.png

iJ9gsHn.png

bNN5Did.png

ztoDm6r.png

WH8Io1h.png

UG9B5lb.png

@XB-70A those are amazing pics!! I'm feeling pretty jealous or your launch-side seats about now! :)

*reaches for tin-foil hat*  but did we just watch the launch of a bunch of experimental hunter-killer satellites?

While viewing the launch broadcast we get to hear about some of the experimental payloads that will be tested:

• armour 
  • local area sensing for on-orbit anomaly detection
  • mycroft sub-satellite which is highly manoeuvrable + lots of dV 
  • advanced guidance navigation & control for use in geosynchronous orbit

It seems that these tests will lead to craft that can dodge incoming kinetic attacks, and perhaps become kinetic weapons themselves?

12 hours ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

@XB-70A those are amazing pics!! I'm feeling pretty jealous or your launch-side seats about now! :)

Thank you Blasty! Yesterday was a bit particular, I had to work on my business, and end a studies report, or go to Atlas V... hum... priority to Atlas V! I don't know how long I will stay in this sector, so it is better to enjoy it before having to move away from this beautiful chance.

If Vulcan went active like... two years ago, or even last year it would be a significant event. But now? Times are a-changing :)  Reusability is the name of the game, and cost reduction plays bigger and bigger role as new launch providers enter the market with their own medium-to-heavy launchers. I'm very curious in which direction things will go in the next decade :)

Yeah, the biggest issue is that Vulcan will be a reset on reliability for ULA. Right now they're the "when it absolutely, positively needs to get to space" provider. If all goes well, SpaceX will pass them in the next few years assuming their launch cadence only improves a little. Vulcan will have no history at all, which seems like it eliminates a huge selling point of ULA right now.

Hey everyone,

I have a question about Atlas V's 5.4 meters fairings but haven't found any answer to it.

During the launch of GOES-S during last March it was possible to distinguish a "tube" on the fairing. 

Here are two pictures of the launch, with the perpendicular "tube" (at the right of the fairing):

rQczdu1.png

P8hz52O.png

Would anyone know what it is (could it be a separation device)?

Thanks

On 4/21/2018 at 11:22 AM, Scotius said:

If Vulcan went active like... two years ago, or even last year it would be a significant event. But now? Times are a-changing :)  Reusability is the name of the game, and cost reduction plays bigger and bigger role as new launch providers enter the market with their own medium-to-heavy launchers. I'm very curious in which direction things will go in the next decade :)

ULA needs to get off their [censored] launch pad... and execute the plan they've been talking about for 10 years now.

Also, this is possibly my favorite graphic from a formal paper:

recovery.jpg

43 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Nothing new though.

Yup, spy satellites used a simulair method.

Are the BE-4 engines heavier than spy satellite capsules? And if so, could it pose as a problem?

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Probably maybe definitely heavier. Probably not a problem.

Well, i hope so at least.

Lets just hope they don't drop the thing in acid seawater too much. Otherwise it would just be an expensive trick.