ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of payload to orbit would that allow? And why would they want it? Their SRB config can match or exceed the thrust of a 3 core Vulcan. Is there another advantage I'm missing?

EDIT: Is it the longer burn times compared to the SRBs?

And they mentioned ACES, that's interesting.

Edited by Spaceception

On 8/27/2020 at 10:04 PM, tater said:

Erasing a blackboard?

A lot of pre-paper communications media permitted scrubbing or other forms of wiping. Blackboards (alongside individual slates) are just the most recent, reaching all the way into the WWII era; wax tables lasted until at least mid-XIXth century, so about 3200 years total.

So hey, if we still use the phrase "wipe the slate clean"...

2 hours ago, DDE said:

A lot of pre-paper communications media permitted scrubbing or other forms of wiping. Blackboards (alongside individual slates) are just the most recent, reaching all the way into the WWII era; wax tables lasted until at least mid-XIXth century, so about 3200 years total.

Yeah, the term certainly dates to before ww2 in the current form, just not sure how long before that something got "scrubbed" in the aircraft/mission/rocket sense.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:31 AM, DDE said:

American schoolchildren are taught that Abraham Lincoln did his homework on slate tablets (no idea of the truth), so presumably they were in use in the western USA around 1800 or so.  Probably a lot easier digging up rock locally than shipping from the East.

Film/tape is used interchangeably to record video with tape for audio.  And those terms don't appear to be changing, "to NAND flash" just doesn't specify what you are saving nor does "to SDHC" roll off the tongue any better (and the memory format is unlikely to last as long as film/tape did).

43 minutes ago, tater said:

If I had the inclination, I could run the numbers and get a very good idea of dry mass and actual capability. This is good data.

The RL10CX is 3D-printed but other than that I have no idea what its performance is like. Tory says ">>451" which is a shocking claim. Are we talking about something on the order of the 460.1 seconds of the RL10C-3? Or more? The RL-10C-2-1 on the DCSS pushes a blistering 465.5 seconds. And the RL10B-X which would have been mounted on the Centaur B-X space tug clocked in at 470 seconds with an expansion ratio of 250...although that is lower than the expansion ratio of the RL-10C-2-1.

19 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Poor chartsmanship. It makes it look like the wall is much thicker, when actually if you read the words, it is thinner. (I assume this is because the lower curvature of the larger cylinder leads to lower stress.)

They compare to the thickness of a dime but only show the face! :confused:
no sorry I misread it - there is a dime edge, I thought that was supposed to be the centaur V tank.

Why compare to a dime in the first place? (Although dollars are pretty common internationally, I doubt dimes are.)

Edited by Nightside
Double misread chart

37 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

My gosh Starliner can't just have a successful test

Nov 2019, to be fair XD

I'd believe that you sometimes have to spend away all your unluckiness, then you'd have luck from that point on. Boeing did their tests waaay later than the current competitor being ahead of them (competitor was in some operational state since 2010)...

Edited by YNM

18 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Yeah I just realized

You should always check dates on any publication (videos, articles, recordings) - original source (if reposted), edit dates (if any)...

But yeah. The point I made in general still stands. Starliner has only flew once, competitor in one form or another has flew 24 times. A difference of almost a decade in starting time made for it.

Problem however, this is the ULA Launch Thread. ULA is Boeing + Lockheed Martin, not just Boeing.

EDIT : Let me remind you as well that some social media recommendations recommends not on newness, but rather on how likely are you to spread it around.

Edited by YNM