ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

OK, i have to say that: With every launch and successful return X-37 validates Dreamchaser. It can precisely land on any decently long runway in range. And it's reuseable. Perfect lifeboat\crew return vehicle for ISS. Or any other station up there.

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

OK, i have to say that: With every launch and successful return X-37 validates Dreamchaser. It can precisely land on any decently long runway in range. And it's reuseable. Perfect lifeboat\crew return vehicle for ISS. Or any other station up there.

I guess I don't follow. Does Dreamchaser have even a single part in common with the X-37B? I mean, yeah, they are kind of conceptually similar, but that's the only commonality I know of.

47 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I guess I don't follow. Does Dreamchaser have even a single part in common with the X-37B? I mean, yeah, they are kind of conceptually similar, but that's the only commonality I know of.

It validates the concept.

I believe the concept of a lifting-body spaceplane was long-since validated. I guess maybe this validates the idea of one that is fully autonomous (although the Buran made an automated orbital flight and landing in 1988). But I still don't see how the X-37 validates the Dreamchaser in any significant way.

30 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I believe the concept of a lifting-body spaceplane was long-since validated. I guess maybe this validates the idea of one that is fully autonomous (although the Buran made an automated orbital flight and landing in 1988). But I still don't see how the X-37 validates the Dreamchaser in any significant way.

Unless the TPS is related, or they share some NASA heritage, yeah.

(meaning if NASA has shared technical info that was used on X-37)

3 hours ago, tater said:

It validates the concept.

Pretty much. Every other orbital vehicle is 'deorbit-and-pray' capsule. It lands where it lands, and then you have to run recovery operation - extensive one in many cases. With X-37 you can choose landing point. And recovery operation consist of ground crew plus a tow vehicle to drag the ship to nearby hangar.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:16 AM, mikegarrison said:

It certainly helps validate that NASA still loves to buy lifting bodies...

On 5/16/2020 at 2:46 AM, Scotius said:

Pretty much. Every other orbital vehicle is 'deorbit-and-pray' capsule. It lands where it lands, and then you have to run recovery operation - extensive one in many cases. With X-37 you can choose landing point. And recovery operation consist of ground crew plus a tow vehicle to drag the ship to nearby hangar.

This has to be one of the reasons SpaceX abandoned recovering boosters with parachutes (even coming down from much lower and slower, once the parachutes opened there was no telling where you would land).  Mass (of the parachutes) had to be the other (and likely bigger) reason.   Bringing the entire upper stage back might help re-entry (much larger surface area for more drag), but they certainly have their work cut out for them.

Oddly enough, Scott Manley's latest video concerns a Soyuz that went off course and landed in a lake.

2 hours ago, wumpus said:

It certainly helps validate that NASA still loves to buy lifting bodies...

Not so much, because NASA actually declined to move forward on the X-37. It was eventually the Air Force that dusted off the project files and ordered the X-37B.