ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/spacex-and-ula-win-2022-pentagon-rocket-launch-contracts.html

The NSSL awards represent nearly three dozen launches, scheduled between 2022 and 2026. ULA won 60% of the launches with SpaceX winning the remaining 40%, beating out Northrop Grumman and Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin.

ULA have phenomenal injection accuracy! It's definitely a unique selling point that justifies a slightly higher cost. I'd like to see what SpaceX's comparable charts look like!

Edited by RCgothic

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Delta IV Heavy: the rocket that took "light this candle" a little too seriously.

Yeah, I have to say while my current first choice to fly out and view a launch would be FH with RTLS side booster landings (because visible booster landings), DIVH is second, what a beast.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:18 AM, RCgothic said:

ULA have phenomenal injection accuracy! It's definitely a unique selling point that justifies a slightly higher cost. I'd like to see what SpaceX's comparable charts look like!

True, yes they had some very long RCS burns on that mission, but then on target monoprop is dead weight anyway outside of rotating you. 

On 8/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, magnemoe said:

True, yes they had some very long RCS burns on that mission, but then on target monoprop is dead weight anyway outside of rotating you. 

Yes done missions like that in KSP, you have docked with the lander Moho lander so I just need an tiny bit of RCS so burn it asap, however I waited until burn point to do it but guess they have a bit better software than mechjeb :) 
And if you get an second stage problem this could save your mission. 

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

At least scrubbing is clean, right? (How did that word get associated with "we will not do this thing today" anyway?)

Good question...

First known use 1828:

“If I were alone, I could scrub it [a visit to London], but there is no doing that with Anne” (a diary entry written March 22, 1828, and first published in The Journal of Sir Walter Scott, 1941).

It was in full use WRT missions during the war (ww2). Really is hard to figure out where it came into the use meaning cancel though. Erasing a blackboard?