ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

I think in that particular exchange there is a misunderstanding of language.

As far as all of us outside ULA are concerned, SPT-3 is indeed "indefinitely delayed." If ULA pushed the launchdate from June 23 to NET July17th (made up), then we'd just say it was delayed. Until they get a new date published, it is definitionally "indefinite."

Regarding the delay and impact on OFT-2, they are still supposed to go the end of July. The trick will be getting SPT-3 out of the way so they can stack OFT-2 and start a launch campaign. The initial spacing was ~5 weeks. if SPT-3 is delayed even a week, the question is how fast can they get OFT-2 ready to use the same pad. OFT-2 is time constrained because of port issues at ISS, and their schedule must include chances for summer scrubs (weather).

• 2 weeks later...

Well played, Tory.

On the "serious" counterfactual side, 2 Raptors won't quite cut it for Vulcan, but of course they are smaller, and less expensive, so I guess they could use 3.

(and Elon also said sure to the tour)

Pretty sure Raptor could do the job from a *performance* perspective.

The *slightly*lower thrust can be compensated by SRBs on takeoff and the *much* higher ISP of the Raptor would then more than make up for it. <327s for BE-4 Vs 350s for Raptor at SL.

But you can't just mix and match rocket engines, even with similar fuels and performance values. It'd take an extensive redesign.

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Pretty sure Raptor could do the job from a *performance* perspective.

The *slightly*lower thrust can be compensated by SRBs on takeoff and the *much* higher ISP of the Raptor would then more than make up for it. <327s for BE-4 Vs 350s for Raptor at SL.

But you can't just mix and match rocket engines, even with similar fuels and performance values. It'd take an extensive redesign.

Raptor is physically smaller, you could put 3 and throttle them down a little.

Header.jpg

Vulcan pathfinder ^^^

wn6hk5s8n5e21.jpg

Obviously would take a lot of redesign.

25 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Yes, with 3 the core stage might as well be stretched as well. But I believe 2 would work well enough, outside perhaps the very lightest and heaviest payloads.

Actually, it's interesting. ULA is talking about SMART reuse, which requires that that whole engine segment on the bottom (white with red hatch) detaches via some quick release. The plumbing inside that segment could vary as long as the interface with the tank remains the same—so that engine segment could potentially be swapped—though of course the operating pressures, allowable rate of flow, etc might not be compatible with Raptor.

Not that it's going to happen, because SpaceX is not selling engines.

I do wonder if it's possible to design a LV that is engine agnostic within some range of engines.

3 hours ago, tater said:

I do wonder if it's possible to design a LV that is engine agnostic within some range of engines.

With enough money thrown at it, sure its possible, but I don't think anyone would be able to profit off of it, so as a practical idea, I don't see anyone putting money into R + D.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

They refer to it as "ULS" in the document.

Anyway, besides the redacted bit, I learned that ULS's price was "substantially higher" than SpaceX's $178M.

Odd that knowing the cost of a FH launch at least roughly they would bid an unproven vehicle for substantially more money, and on top of that a variant or at least optimized version they don’t even have specced out.