ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

6 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

How much do we know about reusability still being planned for Vulcan?

We know precious little and it is intensely annoying. Tory Bruno told me a few weeks ago that reuse is all still in dev and totally planned but we don't have any idea when it will be implemented, if ever.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

We know precious little and it is intensely annoying. Tory Bruno told me a few weeks ago that reuse is all still in dev and totally planned but we don't have any idea when it will be implemented, if ever.

Maybe once they get actual engines they can use the pathfinders to drop test SMART? ;)

13 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

They are waiting to be paid by DoD and/or NASA to do the research.  That's how old space (i.e. the Military Industrial Complex) works.

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

They are waiting to be paid by DoD and/or NASA to do the research.  That's how old space (i.e. the Military Industrial Complex) works.

It's not, but don't let that keep you from a good story.

Private companies do their own R&D. But the amount of it they can afford to do is limited. Most of them can't just draw funds from someone like Bezos or Musk or Branson.

When the government decides they want R&D focused on the government's needs and goals, then they pay for it.

Edited by mikegarrison

Yeah, if ULA is convinced there is a path to saving money, they will do it.

No need for a mandate from above, that's a business decision. Some things (ie: developing s spacecraft for NASA) would require dev money, as there is no business case for doing it otherwise, and the ULA parent companies are publicly held and have a financial responsibility to their owners.

Edited by tater