tr-3b mod (help required)

I am going to try quite a difficult undertaking for my lack of skill trying to make the TR-3B as seen here patent-drawing.png

I am going to start this project since no one else is willing to be up to the challenge so I guess I will have to go full thanos here(fine *puts on gauntlet* i'll do it myself) however I wont be able to do it on my own without someone to help me by explaining step by step what to do because every time I load up the software I pretty much have a panic attack from not knowing what to do and a severe lack of self confidence so I will probably need help from professional modmakers you can contact me on discord if you want to help me with this damn near historic undertaking(for me that is) I use blender because I heard that one is the best to use so I will need to have someone talk me through each step of the process because about 98% of the time I wont know what the hell I'm doing also it would hopefully pave the way for more ufo mods btw this thing is probably going to be nearly solid black given that these ships are referred to as "black triangles"

i know generally what to do with blender I have kind of gotten the hang of it(about 50% of it I understand) but I feel like we will have to work together to make this mod a reality and discord will pretty much be upgrading from radio to ftl comm systems and plus I can show you what I am working on and we can kind of trade ideas from there and figure out how to make my model good and how to import it and upload it to ckan and have it function properly and maybe we can trade ideas on how to make the hover engines a little bit better(perhaps that's what the hemispheres can be) wat do you think? good Idea? in fact what I am proposing doesn't seem too far from what movie makers do in designing things for movies they draw up concept art then kind of work from there doing what looks good for the audience

Edited by mindseyemodels

I have no idea what Radio vs ftl means in regard to Discord, like i said, i don't really use it.

I can't really tell myself what makes a good model and what not, this is more an intuitive thing one can only get through exercise. Having someone always tell you what is good can only teach you to do extact that things/models good and not much more.

For importing the model first into unity and then into KSP, setting up the configs, uploading the mods to Spacedock/Curse/Github and ultimately adding it to ckan is a very time-consuming but not too difficult task. The hover engines however are an additional totally different realm because they not only need modeling in blender but also custom written plugin code. The hemispheres would have to work quite differently because they use a completly different underlying concept. The hover engines were not designed for that concept and will not become even more 'fictional' than they already are. The hemispheres would most likely need a custom plugin. (Or maybe the antigrav thrusters from KerbalFoundries
When you have no knowledge in programming (with c#) this would also be very time consuming, learning to program from the start it not something that can be done in just a week (or a few weeks).

I don't want to discourage you. Of course not! I think it is great that you want to dive into modding KSP and you should definitely continue to try to realize your vision of adding some UFOs to KSP. What i want to tell is, that i won't be able to help you with all the time consuming learning. First, i'm really bad at teaching others. Secondly besides work, household, sports etc there is very little time for modding/gaming at all left (maybe 3h the week). This is definitely not enough for the whole learning process.

There are already very good tutorials for the while process from a simple models cube (the default one form blender) up to adding engines etc to KPS. You can find all of them here:

I can help you from time to time with some problems. But like you already noticed, it can take some time until you get an answer :wink: 

first things first my analogy of upgrading radio to ftl comms is saying it will make communication a hell of a lot faster as radio moves slower than light and ftl is the acronym for faster than light as with discord we could speak with each other via voice chat instantly instead of typing and waiting hours or days for replies 

also when it comes to the model making we would be kind of trading ideas for what would make the model more aesthetically pleasing  and after we agree on a change we (mainly me) could implement that change into the model until we agree that the result looks good enough to be released

as for unity the configs and stuff like that that's where I would actually need someone to instruct me as I have no idea what the hell to do with any of that and it is very confusing because people always explain it in the vaguest possible way like " is it possible to be any MORE obscure?" also about the hover engines GENTLEMEN....BEHOLD!!!

not so fictional anymore are they? that is almost EXACTLY what your mod has

and coding cant be learned in a week you say? I have all the time in the world on my hands and daft punk music for determination/motivation so in short CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

also good to know I have plenty of support for diving into a largely unexplored region of ksp modding(ufos and other kinds of spacecraft) and I have confidence that you will be able to successfully teach me in the ways of modding also the engine I have in mind for primary propulsion is going to sit pretty much flush against the hull(hell its going to be a chunk of the hull)

so I hope this endeavor goes smoothly

I know that hoverbikes (at least prototypes) already exist and therefore are possbible. Thats the reason i added them to FUR. The Sci-Fi part in there is that they are meant to be used in the field and are not just for playing around or as a proof of concept.

About that plenty of support bit: I already mentioned that i have only around 3h week for gaming (not only modding KSP but gaming as a whole), so i can't actually help you with every step. That is why there are plenty of turorials already. As said, you can ask if you are completely stuck at some point but there is simply not enough time for more than that.
I'm sorry to say, but i won't do any voice chat. There are several reasons but the most honest one is that i feel really uncomfortable speaking to people i don't know.

To get a hold of what files, programs and steps are needed you should start bit by bit. I think these tutorials might serve you well for that: 

Both videos are the beggining of a series of videos that explain every step to mod KSP.

Edited by Nils277

I accept....also we would have to work together because the level of co operation I am looking for is like movie makers they kind of share ideas and find ways to improve something based on ideas also I would love to chat on discord because that would be the fastest way to talk because then we could discuss things a hell of a lot faster and then I could also post pics of my models that and also it would be my first mod so I could learn how to do these things I feel like configs will go a lot faster because I got the general model shape for the hull and engine I just need someone to give ideas on how to make the ship look a little better and the model is currently on hiatus due to lack of creative input such help would be greatly appreciated

5 minutes ago, Katten said:

I don't have a headset but we can open up a chat.. discord, skype?

yes my discord name is thunderchild (it is all lowercase btw) and my profile pic is a microsoft paint pic of a star being torn apart by a black hole and you don't need a headset all you need is speakers and something that has a mic even a low quality one like a webcam those have mics they build mics into everything nowadays

Edited by mindseyemodels

• here is the entire config file for my engine...you think you could identify the problem with the thrust transform?(thunderchild is my discord name)
  • PART
    {
     name = tr3b_engine
     module = Part
     author = thunderchild
     mesh = tr-3b/parts/engine
     rescaleFactor = 2

node_stack_back = 0, -0.00152, -0.75478, 0, 0, -1, 1

TechRequired =start
     entryCost = 10800
     cost = 9000
     category = Structural
     subcategory = 0
     title = tr-3b project "blackstar" dark matter engine
     manufacturer = i'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens
     description = the kerbal space agency found wreckage of an advanced alien civilization near kerbin's north pole supposedly thousands of years old but still capable of advanced manipulation of the fabric of reality this is the result of reverse engineering this tech and this is what the space agency was really born from and what we were working towards this engine utilizes concentrated dark matter...a fuel rick kerman made to "travel faster than anyone else"
     attachRules = 1,1,0,1,0
     mass = 3
     dragModelType = default
     maximum_drag = 0.2
     minimum_drag = 0.2
     angularDrag = 1
     crashTolerance = 150
     maxTemp = 3200 // = 3200
     bulkheadProfiles = size1
     tags =
    EFFECTS
        {
            running_closed
            {
                AUDIO
                {
                    channel = Ship
                    clip = sound_rocket_spurts
                    volume = 0.0 0.0
                    volume = 1.0 1.0
                    pitch = 0.0 0.2
                    pitch = 1.0 1.0
                    loop = true
                }
                MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
                {
                    modelName = Squad/FX/Monoprop_small
                    transformName = thrust Transform
                    emission = 0.0 0.0
                    emission = 0.01 0.0
                    emission = 0.01 0.1
                    emission = 1.0 1.25
                    speed = 0.0 0.5
                    speed = 1.0 1.2
                }
            }
            engage
            {
                AUDIO
                {
                    channel = Ship
                    clip = sound_vent_soft
                    volume = 1.0
                    pitch = 2.0
                    loop = false
                }
            }
            flameout
            {
                PREFAB_PARTICLE
                {
                    prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
                    transformName = smokePoint
                    oneShot = true
                }
                AUDIO
                {
                    channel = Ship
                    clip = sound_explosion_low
                    volume = 1.0
                    pitch = 2.0
                    loop = false
                }
            }
        }
    MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleEnginesFX
            engineID = KS25
            runningEffectName = running_closed
            thrustVectorTransformName = thrust Transform
            exhaustDamage = True
            ignitionThreshold = 0.1
            minThrust = 0
            maxThrust = 50000
            heatProduction = 192
            fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.25
            EngineType = LiquidFuel
            exhaustDamageDistanceOffset = 1.9
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = LiquidFuel
                ratio = 0.9
                DrawGauge = True
            }
            PROPELLANT
            {
                name = Oxidizer
                ratio = 1.1
            }
            atmosphereCurve
            {
                key = 0 400
                key = 1 400
                key = 12 400
            }
        }
    MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleGimbal
            gimbalTransformName = thrust Transform
            gimbalRange = 10
        }
        MODULE
        {
            name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle
            animationName = HeatAnimationClusterEngine
            responseSpeed = 0.001
            dependOnEngineState = True
            dependOnThrottle = True
        }
        MODULE
        {
            name = ModuleSurfaceFX
            thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
            fxMax = 1
            maxDistance = 5
            falloff = 1.5
            thrustTransformName = thrust Transform
        }

Hi, still need to see how you've set everything up in unity and the cfg for the engine. Also if you want the nodes to be perfect use a placed transform, unity gameObject instead aligned so local Z points away from the model and reference it with

NODE
{
name = Node1 // or whatever your transform is called , does not matter,
transform = Node1 // or whatever your transform is called , does not matter,
size = 1
method = FIXED_JOINT
}

I suspect though that you've either blocked the thrust transform with a collider or have local and pivot confused with global and center leading to an incorrectly rotated transform, OR you cfg's messed up. 

6 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

tr-3b/parts/engine

Thats wrong but unimportant , should just be the mesh name, no file path and no slashes and should end in .mu

If that paste is correct your brackets are wrong you have no closing bracket,  this will likely mean that the cfg only loads to the end of the FX module and cant read the rest

Also when pasting cfg's in order for them to makes some sense please use the code tags <> at the top right and paste your cfg into the window that appears , as it is now it's impossible or very difficult to read.

SO my thrust transform needs to be OUTSIDE the engine? perhaps that explains it... and you can seriously just place a node directly on a transform? really!! why didn't I know about that!!

huh it was working the first time I fired it up then next time it failed and the only thing I changed then was a node placement

21 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, still need to see how you've set everything up in unity and the cfg for the engine. Also if you want the nodes to be perfect use a placed transform, unity gameObject instead aligned so local Z points away from the model and reference it with

NODE
{
name = Node1 // or whatever your transform is called , does not matter,
transform = Node1 // or whatever your transform is called , does not matter,
size = 1
method = FIXED_JOINT
}

I suspect though that you've either blocked the thrust transform with a collider or have local and pivot confused with global and center leading to an incorrectly rotated transform, OR you cfg's messed up. 

Thats wrong but unimportant , should just be the mesh name, no file path and no slashes and should end in .mu

If that paste is correct your brackets are wrong you have no closing bracket,  this will likely mean that the cfg only loads to the end of the FX module and cant read the rest

Also when pasting cfg's in order for them to makes some sense please use the code tags <> at the top right and paste your cfg into the window that appears , as it is now it's impossible or very difficult to read.

you have to put the thrust transform on the OUTSIDE of an engine? I guess that explains a bit and you can put a node directly onto a transform!? why did I not know this!?

how exactly would I SHOW you what I'm doing in unity? I cant really upload things at least not that I know of so how can I show you?

8 minutes ago, mindseyemodels said:

you have to put the thrust transform on the OUTSIDE of an engine?

Yup, if you look again at the image i posted you can see the thrust transform is not inside the model, although admittedly , it's not the best angle to show it

Spoiler

UA4peFk.png

And although you can literally put a node anywhere you would not really want one right on a transform, but in the case of a rocket type engine that may be staged you could.

What i meant to infer that your node placement issues can be solved a modern way instead of the horrible old  node coordinate system

as below the indicated shown transform is the point at which other parts will connect it should be a child of the mesh not the the GameObject,  So    GameObject/Mesh/ nodes transforms extra bits etc

0yrr4cV.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

2 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Yup,

And although you can literally put a node anywhere you would not really want one right on a transform, but in the case of a rocket type engine that may be staged you could.

What i meant to infer that your node placement issues can be solved a modern way instead of the horrible old  node coordinate system

as below the indicated shown transform is the point at which other parts will connect it should be a child of the mesh not the the GameObject,  So    GameObject/Mesh/ nodes transforms extra bits etc

0yrr4cV.png

but how do I upload pics to the forum?

also do you have discord? we can use that for faster communication and I can work faster that way because we could talk to each other instead of typing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.