Challenge Parameter Setting

So I see there are challenges posted by players as well as by Squad personnel, and that some challenges restrict the mods allowed, and have specific requirements.

Would it be feasible to make a challenge parameter setting for KSP that would set the goals and allow or disallow specific mods?  The challenger would effectively create a pseudo save game file with x amounts of Kerbal bucks, Science, Reputation, techs unlocked, buildings upgraded, goals, and planetary locations, then uploads that file (Dropbox or where ever) for other players to download.  The challenge save could be career, sandbox, or science.

Re: Planetary locations

Put up a top down view of the system and let the player drag the planets into whatever configuration they want.  Have the game adjust the date accordingly.

1 hour ago, Col. Kernel said:

The challenger would effectively create a pseudo save game file with x amounts of Kerbal bucks, Science, Reputation, techs unlocked, buildings upgraded, goals, and planetary locations, then uploads that file (Dropbox or where ever) for other players to download.  The challenge save could be career, sandbox, or science.

That part can (mostly) be done by sharing a previously set up savegame. Major difficult seems to be the 'planetary location' , not because it can't be done (just warp to when that arrangement happens) but because it may take some time to find when the desired combination happens.

1 hour ago, Col. Kernel said:

allow or disallow specific mods?

That part is a bit more complicated. For one side there is the problem of meddling needless in what people install in their personal computer and  the fact that the limitation probably need to be done by a "blacklist" that can get pretty big quickly*. On the other hand people could just decide to use less than 

*I suppose a "whitelist" would requires some way for the mods be previously acknowledged as this, and a potentially overcomplicated way to recognize [ModA] as [ModA]

I think a few more tools to setting up the savegame would be interesting. Granted that there is mod option for this (e.g. hyperedit). Also seems that Squad is developing something along those lines as part of a paid expansion.

1 minute ago, Col. Kernel said:

It's the editing in of the money/science/reputation that would be tricky,

Starting a new game allow  setting starting money/science/reputation. Failing that, I think debug menu cover this.

8 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

lock out certain parts

With the option to require part unlock you can  unlock only the allowed parts and ask for people to limit their build to this parts.

Well, that don't really block anything. But given that challenges are usually done along a honour system I don't think that is a big deal. IMHO mostly is some tools to streamline the whole process that are required (or rather are useful) .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.