[ETS] Freedom Program

G'th

fetch.php?cache=&w=900&h=667&tok=0c3851&

Eyes Turned Skyward - Freedom Program

Eyes Turned Skyward is an alternate history story by E of Pi and Workable Goblin that explores a divergence from our real history where instead of building and putting all of its efforts into the Space Shuttle, NASA instead focuses purely on space stations. As a result, we see many changes, not the least of which a 7th Moon landing, as well as the launch of Skylab B, which in the timeline is renamed to Spacelab.  Using Apollo derived hardware, NASA is not only able to maintain a continuous presence in space through the 70's and 80's, but is also able to achieve much more than it has in real life. Concurrently, similar divergences occur with the ESA and Roscosmos, the European and Russian space programs respectively, that result in a similar presence in space. 

After Spacelab we see the Freedom program (which was the original design and designation of the ISS in real life) come into being during the 80's as a response by Reagan to the USSR's revitalized space program, essentially creating a second Space Race, not just to get into space but to utilize it.

This series will be = covering the construction of this station as it happened in the timeline to the best that Kerbal Space Program can allow me to as well as much of the operations that went on after it was fully constructed, and perhaps on to..other things. And as you'll see, due to countless hours of fiddling, I have gotten very accurate representations despite not having 100% accurate parts available to me ingame.

So without further ado, here is the first video showing the very first launch of the program of the Challenger Habitat and Service module. This module, serves as the core of the station and also houses the crew for the stay of their Expedition.  Seen here is the full launch showcasing the Saturn H-03 rocket that launched it.  And before its said, yes I am aware the in-game audio on this first video is rather loud. I actually had to redo the whole video due to some derps and that was a final derp that got through the cracks. Its not that bad though and ultimately future videos shouldn't have this problem.

Edited by G'th

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So, as some of you guys who followed this may no doubt be aware, if not through this very post, I'm back, and presumably for good lol. Life's swung back my way and this has afforded me a way to play kerbal again since my laptop dying put me back on hiatus and stopped this series. 

And I'm considering coming back into it. Between new releases through @CobaltWolf's BDB as well as the new pack from @bcink, an Eyes Turned Skyward series is even easier to do, and do accurately. While I'm still working out my mod list and whether I want to bother trying to record on my slightly out of date computer, I can say with confidence if I wanted to do this it'd be rather simple.

But what I want to ask you guys that follow me is about the format, and how I should approach picking this back up. 

First, re: format. Would you guys be interested in what I was doing (though slightly more refined), where I generally cover a mission (or a series of smaller missions) and fill what dead air I can with lots of informative info about ETS, Kerbal, real life space stuff, opinions and what not; Or, would you be more interested if I changed it up? My thinking was each episode could cover different aspects of the program I'm covering. So for instance, first episode could explore for instance the design process of one of the stations and its history in the timeline and then test flights and what not.  Second episode could cover first launch and then aspects of initial station building, and so on.  Essentially it'd be similar to what I was doing, but they'd be somewhat smaller episodes more focused on the actual lore of ETS as well as technical and scientific aspects more so than just the pure flying.

Long story short, ultimately I'd be covering all of this anyway in one form or another, but the question is, bigger episodes that give a flying focus above anything else, or smaller episodes that'd focus on nerdy stuff?  

Second, re: restart.  Now that Cobalt has finally released Spacelab parts in BDB, Spacelab is something feasible for me to actually cover properly. And of course Artemis/Orion/Armstrong were always possible, but now made easier as I do not have to spend an inordinate amount of time cobbling together Frankensteins lunar landers to do so. Freedom I could knock out in a day, as far as designing and then sub-assembling the different components. 

So, would you guys mind a general restart or just continue on from Freedom? I'm inclined to do a restart anyway, but I figure I may as well get some input on that. With pretty much the entire timeline covered part wise, the idea would be with a restart to pretty much follow the timeline chapter to chapter. From Apollo 18 right on up to the lunar bases designation as Armstrong Base. And, as much as it may pain me to do so, I may even touch on icky Russian stuff. Kinda have to if I really want to do Spacelab properly. As far as the Russian side of ETS as a whole.....I give a hearty meh. While I do like Beales parts, something about Russian style just makes me not even want to play lmao. 

But anyway, those are the questions I have for those of you who care to provide some input. All in all I'm excited to be back as I was cut off from KSP right in the middle of the "high" so to speak, and the games only gotten better sense.  Case in point, take a look at these two screenshots here. I'm currently working to reestablish the world to build up an ETS playthrough on (which really is just a matter of making sure I at least get up to Surveyor 3/Apollo 12) and thus far it is really promising in terms of visuals how well a new series would play out. 

IWffVD3.png

tgaC0QK.png

4 hours ago, G'th said:

Long story short, ultimately I'd be covering all of this anyway in one form or another, but the question is, bigger episodes that give a flying focus above anything else, or smaller episodes that'd focus on nerdy stuff?  

So, would you guys mind a general restart or just continue on from Freedom? 

Exciting.

I wouldn't mind a restart, myself. I vote for smaller, nerdier episodes. :D

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.