New Star Trek premieres on the 24th Sep!

p1t1o

42 minutes ago, TheKosmonaut said:

That's really true, as a kid I absolutely hated Deep Space 9, now that I'm older (not really any wiser), I think DS9 is probably my favorite of them all. Tastes and understanding changes over time. 

So true! I really like DS9... wish one of the networks would start playing it again.

One other thing I thought of, and in this case Star Trek is actually a victim... is back when I was a kid we didn't have anything resembling social media, or 24-hours news channels... we didn't even have regular cable until I was like 12. So we didn't get the constant bombardment of news like we have today.

So yes, back then TOS took on some serious issues... but we didn't have things like Facebook and CNN and all the rest... and I think over time, the more the internet and all the rest grew, the more I just got burned out, and my attitude changed.

Now I suppose I prefer a slightly campier show with a second officer that lays an egg (that was too funny!!!)

Edited by Just Jim

Star Trek fans have always been very critical, back in the days of Usenet, they would critique every new episode of TNG as it aired and talked about how terrible it was, and TBH the first two seasons of TNG aren't exactly the best that Trek has to offer. Trek fans will never be pleased with anything, heck.. If you showed them TOS right now, they'd probably hate it, too!

The problem now is that the internet is much more readily available to people, like you said. That and there are *so* many options out there for entertainment.. People are probably a bit harder to please and are all-round more jaded. 

BTW, all the Treks are on Netflix. And if you're outside of the US then you get ST:DIS a little bit after it airs. I've been watching all star treks from the beginning again... for the millionth time :D

14 minutes ago, TheKosmonaut said:

The problem now is that the internet is much more readily available to people, like you said. That and there are *so* many options out there for entertainment.. People are probably a bit harder to please and are all-round more jaded. 

I could not agree more!

I know this is getting a little off-topic, and I apologize ahead, but I am so reminded of this:

49 minutes ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

oh it's grands couturiers fashion week ? yup yup :rolleyes:

hehe...

It's just we could argue about it all day... which series is better than which... and we'll end up with a comicon-war... :confused:

But I'm actually not trying to argue about it. If it sounds that way, then I'm sorry, and I apologize. In my case, I'm just not really feeling it... yet... with the new Trek series, and I can't really pin down why, so I'm sort of grasping at straws trying to explain it. 

Edited by Just Jim

I like the new Trek. And it gave me a big smile when I heard the name Paul Stamets. Yes, named after the real one.

But,

I dislike the hairless Klingons, I don't like their organic looking ships (I like the interiors though) and I'm not sure about USS Discovery either.

And Lorca ... what a difference with the previous 5 (6 if you count Georgiou). I guess they picked the right actor for this role.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.