KSP Weekly: The Earthquake

SQUAD

It's rare... no unprecedented... That I would respond to a game development update with; you all take care of yourselves and your families and don't worry about delays to the game.  

We'll all still be here and you have our support, best wishes, and prayers for a speedy recovery from this tragedy. 

My prayers go out to the team and your families at this time. They also go out to everyone else who was affected by this tragic event. I hope for guidance and mercy for the people who have lost their lives.

I can say that I don't mind if the updates to the game are delayed if you all take time to recover and help your loved ones and your city to recover. Take time off if you need to.

I am lucky to have never experienced that kind of fear, and i really hope nobody here ever has to again. Best of luck.

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:
By the minute more people came with buckets, shovels, picks and mallets, and shortly after, the army and professional rescue teams with dogs and machinery came too. Thousands gathered, everybody helped as they could, bringing equipment, food and water to the rescuers. It was not long until the first persons were found, some of them fortunately still alive. The rescue effort wouldn’t stop until everybody was found. I've never experienced something like this and the solidarity we Mexicans have shown in such difficult times is, simply put, extraordinary and it gives us hope in such dark times.

I can totally relate to this perspective. After hurricane harvey flooded Houston and surrounding countys to see people helping people and the incredible amount of caring and support from all people from all walks of life all backgrounds all races,rich people,poor people,from neighbors helping neighbors to total strangers all coming together for the common good of another human being is very inspiring and something i will never forget. I met firefighters from New York fire dept that drove 36 hours in the rain and tropical force winds to come to houston with their boats and equipment because "it was the right thing to do!" Just incredible to witness. I do pray for all the people that lost their lives in Mexico and may they rest in peace. And pray for the familys that have lost loved ones. You can replace a house or a building. You cant replace a human being. My deepest heart-felt condolences to all those whos lives will be changed forever. 

15 minutes ago, Redneck said:

I can totally relate to this perspective.

Indeed.  I didn't see it on a large scale myself.  I did see all sorts of people helping, though.  The guys who had their boats out picking us up, the people dropping off food and water for people working on clearing out their damaged houses, the many friends and family that pitched in, those who manned the shelters and donation sites, and the endless helicopter and C-130 flights bringing supplies in.

Seeing it almost gives you hope for humanity.

Beware the scum out there, though.  The looters, the scammers, the fake charities, the "contractors" that take a payment and never show up to do the work, the price-gougers, the people out there looking to take advantage of people going through one of the worst time of their lives. :mad:

1 minute ago, razark said:

Beware the scum out there, though.  The looters, the scammers, the fake charities, the "contractors" that take a payment and never show up to do the work, the price-gougers, the people out there looking to take advantage of people going through one of the worst time of their lives. :mad:

Karma has a funny way of evening the score though when all is said and done! :wink:

This disaster is reported daily in Japan. I express my condolences to the victims. And I would like to encourage people who are facing difficulties. When Japan was in a great earthquake, we were helped by many people from many countries, and many Japanese people are grateful to the world.
I will be on the other side of the earth, but I will make a donation through the Red Cross. Please be careful about aftershocks. And no matter how small it is, please have hope.

I've experienced only one earthquake in my life - and it was only short, minor 3 magnitude tremor. Yet it was so strange and disconcerting thing i remember it well to this day. I can't even imagine living through 7-8 magnitude big one :o Kudos to you, your families and all brave people who immediately gathered to help the others.

When i heard at the news that there was an earthquake at Mexico City i hoped that everyone at Squad would be ok, thankfully you made it all ok. I live at Kefalonia, Greece where very often we have earthquakes, and every few years we have some strong ones (most of them are trepidatory Earthquakes), at 2014 we had two trepidatory Earthquakes of almost 6R that caused a lot damage at the island so i know how feel, take your time and recover and then continue with KSP, we can wait.

Also live on the Ring of Fire, but at the west side here. Taiwan is often strucked by earthquake also, usually between magnitude 1 to 6 and under 50 km. I definately know the terror when ground suddenly starts to move and you're at some high floor without knowing it will be stronger or will just stop. With quake this big, the only option to escape is probably crawling, don't even try to stand! We have one particularly devastating quake 18 years ago and took the life of over 2000 people. Since then, we have and still are improving our regulations over buildings and rescue operation. 

I sincerely hope the best for Mexico and hope we can all learn from it.

Edited by EwingKang

Glad to hear @SQUAD is fine.

I live in Germany. The only 'earthquake' i ever experienced was caused by an old mining tunnel collapsing. I didn´t even realize that it was an 'earthquake' (Because i hardly felt it), but the local media still went all apocalypse now... So, my best wishes to those that are dealing with real earthquakes 

Edited by rudi1291

16 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Luckily the whole team and our families are all safe and sound.

And there's the most important part of the whole update. 

16 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Nevertheless, after being sure that our loved ones were safe, some of us decided to help those that were trapped under debris.

Closely followed by that. My respect to everyone from Squad who stood up when they were needed.

We can wait for KSP news.

Edited by KSK

24 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Good lord, another earthquake struck this morning (a few hours ago from the time of this post), magnitude 6.1 about 275 miles/443 km southeast of Mexico City. :( No reports yet on anyone hurt.

While alarming, this is not entirely surprising. It is in the nature of earthquakes to have a number of quakes in series as stress hotspots are passed down the tectonic fault. There may be still more quakes to follow, hopefully of diminishing magnitude and at increasing distance from population centres.

I hope that this disaster is soon over as painlessly as possible.

Good to hear that @SQUAD and their families are all right. Hope everyone at Mexico can recover from this soon.

But now with 3 earthquakes back to back, I'm pretty sure everyone around the Pacific Ring of Fire is about to get shaking as the tectonic plates start to loosen up. There's already been earthquakes in Japan and Taiwan after the Mexican ones started.

Glad to hear that @SQUAD's people are okay. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

14 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

There's already been earthquakes in Japan and Taiwan after the Mexican ones started.

Meanwhile, farther up the Pacific coast, we can expect a major quake to strike BC every 300-600 years, and it's been 400 years since the last major quake, despite a 7.8 quake striking the Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Islands) archipelago in 2012 (which dried out some hot springs for a few years). It's said that Vancouver has a 30 percent chance of a major quake in the next 50 years. *goes to check the emergency supplies*

I have played KSP for over 3 years and read “The  Daily Kerbal” every Friday. I check the forums regularly throughout the week as well. I have never created an account simply because I felt I had nothing of value to offer the community. I do, however, Want to let yourself and your talented team know that I am extremely thankful you, as well as your families,  are safe and sound! Having seen the news I am aware of the devastation Mexico has experienced. You all are in mine and my families prayers. While none of us are able to travel to Mexico to lend a hand, we all are donating to charities that will hopefully help some. Like many have posted already, don’t  worry about work! Whilst admirable to see an update for this week, anyone with a heart (or any intelligence to speak of) understands that video games take a “back seat” to rebuilding lives, of not only themselves and their families, but their neighbors and country as well. Thank you again and good luck getting Life back to some degree of normality, I wish I had the resources to contribute myself!

Edited by ROV_OPS

Shaken but not broken - good to hear Squad staff made it through.  My best wishes for the recovery efforts. I was present during the 1994 6.6 quake in Los Angeles, CA, so I know something of what it can be like. That one was smaller in Richter scale, but caused major damage to some buildings and highways in the area. 

I was in New York when I heard the news about the earthquake in Mexico. It's amazing that you helped out the victims of the earthquake, and went back to working on KSP the next day! Personally, I couldn't imagine going back to work after a 7-8 magnitude quake. You should really take some time to recover. :D

I've been saving my thousandth post for something, wasn't sure what.  Responding to this moving personal story and professional update seems to be the right thing.  Don't really have many words but stay safe, watch out for each other, and focus on the important things.

Mexico is a beautiful place, and I'm sure it will come back more beautiful than ever.

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.