KSP Weekly: The Earthquake

SQUAD

I experienced the 2008 Sichuan earthquake at magnitude 8.0, about 900 km away from epicenter. Even that was really horrifying, the ground under our feet waved back and force, everyone rushed out of buildings and all television channels were repeating the news that a horrible disaster happened hundreds of miles away.

There's nothing much I can do to help those suffering from the earthquake, let's pray that everything would soon get all right.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:24 PM, EBOSHI said:

This disaster is reported daily in Japan. I express my condolences to the victims. And I would like to encourage people who are facing difficulties. When Japan was in a great earthquake, we were helped by many people from many countries, and many Japanese people are grateful to the world.
I will be on the other side of the earth, but I will make a donation through the Red Cross. Please be careful about aftershocks. And no matter how small it is, please have hope.

We received help from Japan Eboshi, they found people and we really appreciate it! 

I really wish you guys all the best there.  I know what it's like to go through this kind of stuff, and I hope the worst is over now. 

I've been in Christchurch, New Zealand all my life, and when the quakes started hitting here in 2011 it was truly surreal.  (September: 7.1M 11km deep, February: 6.3M 5km deep, June: 6.4M 7km deep, etc)  ..and the many hundreds of small, and not so small, aftershocks that happened around those quakes.   ..we've lost a lot of historic buildings.  A lot of people left.  (Thankfully, relatively few people died.)  But I have stayed here.  (I was always going to stay.)  And it's great to be a part of the rebuild, and see people slowly returning to the city.

We had truly great search-and-rescue teams that came here from our neighbours/allies.  The Japanese teams were brilliant here too, (unfortunately having to go back home to the Japan earthquake/tsunami soon after.)  And I hope you're receiving similarly great assistance there too.  It makes all the difference.

I hope the Squad crew, and all of the people in your life, remain safe.  I hope the only screen-wobble you see in the near future is from those glorious overpowered rockets in KSP.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, SQUAD said:
Personally, I went to a 7 story building that fell not far from where I live.

Due to those hurricanes and the earthquakes, my mind is over-saturated with disaster news and unfortunately just dosent really accept it anymore. Thus, to my sleep-deprived mind(curse you, OA!) , my only question is this.

Who is this "I" character?

Due to those hurricanes and the earthquakes, my mind is over-saturated with disaster news and unfortunately just dosent really accept it anymore. Thus, to my sleep-deprived mind(curse you, OA!) , my only question is this.

14 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Why did you type it 5 times?

VERY glad to hear all staff and families are ok. I live in Seattle (and previously in Portland, OR), and we also get quakes and volcanoes, but not often - it's more like the threat of one. The region is 50 years overdue for an 8.5+, so these tragic events are always a reminder of what's waiting for us. (and we are NOT prepared) I've been in 2 quakes, both 6+, which is 2 magnitudes lower, or 1% of the strength of what hit Mexico. Both times, I was in a tall building, and both times were very unnerving, but fortunately caused no damage. I have a concept of what it would be like, but that is nowhere near the same thing. My heart goes out to the team and the state, to all those who lost family and friends and especially children.  Thanks for taking the time to share the update and how it made you feel - I think that a lot of times on the forum (and the internet in general), a lot of people forget that we're all real actual humans with feelings, worries, tragedy, families, drama, pain, and baggage - that we're all really the same in who we are and what we deal with regardless of politics, race, background, or nationality. I'm amazed you still managed a dev update, but most of all I'm happy that people I interact with didn't die, and neither did your families. Hopefully your own office, houses, and property wasn't damaged, and that your extended circles bounce back quickly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.