Definition of "Landed" and "Flying"

I need to define exactly what Landed is for Kaptain's Log, since there isn't an event for it

So, I've some up with the following for Landed:

• Touching the ground (use Vessel.landed to determine)
  • Speed less than 0.01 (use Vessel.speed)
  • Stable for 5 seconds

and the following for Flying:

• Altitude above ground > 50m
  • Minimum of 5 seconds not touching the ground

I can see that on some worlds, the stability time on the ground may need to be altered (such as Bob, etc), mainly very low gravity worlds.  I don't want a bounce to be registered as a landed, which is why the stability check.

For flying, I'm thinking of ignoring speed, since for this purpose, being in an unmoving balloon is still flying.

Are these good and sufficient, or is there something else I should look at?  Also, for the low gravity worlds, how much more should I increase the stability timer?

Thanks in advance

Edit for Clarification:

Landed means landed on solid ground.  I am not looking at splashdown or crashed, there are specific events for those.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

One of the most annoying thing in contracts is needing to be stable for 10 seconds. 5 is less bad, but maybe 1 second?

I've been known to quickly hit "recover" to save a Kerbal before my rocket falls over, and understand the desire to curtail such shenanigans, but still...

These will be configurable beforehand.

So, you feel that on Kerbin, 1 second should be the default.  What about on Bop?  Eeloo?  or Duna?

I just added the need to define "Flying" in the OP

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Let me throw a wrench into this.  I'm working on hovercraft and know of at least one other mod that has them, and... kerbal foundries has those levitation thingies.  I know when my hover is off the ground by any measure, KSP considers it to be flying for save game purposes.

By your proposed definitions, it would neither be landed nor flying (nor splashed).

42 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Let me throw a wrench into this.  I'm working on hovercraft and know of at least one other mod that has them, and... kerbal foundries has those levitation thingies.  I know when my hover is off the ground by any measure, KSP considers it to be flying for save game purposes.

By your proposed definitions, it would neither be landed nor flying (nor splashed).

Which is why it is "configurable".  I'm trying to have a reasonable definition for most people.

Also, a Hovercraft isn't "flying", it needs a solid surface (ok, water also works) to push against. So it isn't "flying" although KSP may consider it, but it also isn't "landed", it's in one of those in-between states.  The levitation thingies are the same thing, they aren't really flying.

Essentially, a hovercraft or levitation thingie is sort of like a rover which is grabbing air.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

13 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Just for your info: A vessel in KSP stock is only considered landed when it has a collider in contact with a collider on the Scenery layer (and it's clearly not dead :P).

Thanks.  But I needed a way to report in Kaptain's Log whether something is landed, or flying, and to avoid multiple reports; ie:  a rover on a low gravity world is not flying when it leaves the ground (flying from a reporting point of view)

• 3 months later...
On 22-9-2017 at 11:58 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

• Altitude above ground > 50m
  • Minimum of 5 seconds not touching the ground

Why the 50m above ground requirement? Is this to exclude anything hovering? In that case anything that is higher than a Kerbal (1.2m?) flies in my opinion

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Why the 50 above ground requirement. Is this to exclude anything hovering? In that case anything that is higher than a Kerbal (1.2m?) flies in my opinion

A rather old post.  It was somewhat arbitrary.  Basically, I didn't want microhops to count, it generates enough data as it is.  But it's configurable in the settings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.