Computer Screen Going Crazy

TheKosanianMethod

So a few days ago, I opened my laptop to a grey screen with lines. I figured it was just some random boot error, and did the old turn-it-on-and-off-again fix. The grey screen came back for a second but disappeared and I logged on as usual. I haven't had a problem until tonight, and the screen did the same thing. I turned the computer on and off again two or three times before I was able to log on with a normal screen. I've backed up most of my important documents, but I have several copies of KSP and a bunch of other random stuff on my HDD. I use an HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 7. A Google search pulled up no useful results, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever seen this or knows what in the world it is. My thinking is that it's the LCD screen itself or something with the video card.

Picture of my screen:

https://imgur.com/a/jYe0W

In my experience, laptop screens are very vulnerable to physical damage.

Seems to be the only thing that makes sense, if it was a software issue severe enough to do that, you probably wouldnt get gaps in between where you can log on normally.

Having said that, my dual-screen setup sometimes works and sometimes doesnt (reverts to 600x800 on secondary monitor) and for the life of me I cant figure out what causes it (everything confirmed in normal working order), but I can always fix it by turning off-and-on until it starts up in the correct configuration - so its possible I dont know anything!

Does it happen when you wiggle the screen and open/close it? Try gently bending it in various directions to see if it triggers the issue. if it does, it could indicate the problem with the flex cable, which should be a cheap fix.

If it is independent of the manhandling, then it would indicate the issue with the graphics card, although the pattern doesn't look like that's the problem.

Oh dear, I know exactly what that is. That's damage to the wiring between the laptop body and the screen, and if my experience with my own HP pavillion laptop with the same issue says much, it'll get worse and worse if you don't fix it. My computer has had the same issue for about an year or two now, and the screen is barely hanging on and it only doesn't flicker and bugs up in a very specific position where it's held up against a wall. The issue has nothing to do with software from what i can tell, it's purely physical. If you get it fixed soon it should be an easy fix, although if you just never bother fixing it you could end up with a broken screen hinge that excacerbates the problem (I fiddled with mine until it broke and made the screen loose). Good luck!

Edited by Pine

@TheKosanianMethod Not sure if this helps, but I run an HP Pavillion Laptop, and my computer keeps on freezing and becomes lined with random colors. As I can still click on stuff while it is frozen, but it only loads when it unfreezes. So I have concluded, as pretty everyone else has in this thread, that it is a disconnection between  the laptop and screen. 

However there is a TEMPORARY fix, but you should only use it when it is important, as it may make the problem worse. Just gently tap the area of the screen near the hinge a few times. 

Unfortunately, I think that is all I can contribute to this thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.