stock* infinite range nuclear submarine (HELP ME)

ZmLr56y.png

the sub is powered by a nuclear turbine that gives it infinite range. the blades are agustable so you can "switch gears" favoring torque or speed. 

in the rare event of turbine failure, kraken attack is certain so by popping the double fairing  the turbine housing falls away and with it the krakening turbine of death. the crew can then pop the ballast and ascend away from the supersonic projectile reaction wheels and prop blades to the safety of the surface. if anyone thinks they can improve on this design (because this thing is literally the slowest boat EVER) i am eager to see what you have. (seriously, when its surfaced it moves sideways more than forward)

Nice! First thing I would do is drastically reduce the amount of propeller blades. As you know all wing parts are ultra-buoyant. Plus, they produce a huge amount of drag. Reducing the amount to just three greatly improved the performance of my ship.

Also, due to less buoyancy with less blades, you'll need less ore in the rear. That should speed your ship up some more.

Blade angle is super important but so is rpm. Higher revolutions means more speed. I suggest you install V.O.I.D. for a proper readout (in rad/s). Keep in mind that the absolute limit is 50 rad/s, above that speed the joints turn into spaghetti. Unity or KSP limitation.

If you build a version without mod parts, I'll take a look at it (I'm see a mod part on the conning tower).

Edited by Azimech

17 hours ago, Azimech said:

I don't think people would be happy with a pack, it's probably a few hundred parts by now XD

17 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

A pack with a few hundred parts sound good to me 

only a few hundred? That's not that many :D.

also, I love the sub! Time to figure out how to make a stock one myself!

I heard modpack with parts *eyes dart from side to side* darn must've missed it. Though I will always love stock craft more (due to the extra ingenuity in them IMO) mod craft, especially with eneabling or realistic parts (i.e. joints, props, realistic engines, configurable tanks, etc) will always have a place in my heart.

The biggest issue I have seen with subs is that RPMs are very, very low and therefore so are speed and power.. Under the right conditions, a nuclear-powered propeller in air can achieve max RPM, but the problem is that in water, that same propellor will turn much slower. So a 300 rpm device might become a 10 RPM device at the same torque, reducing power output by a factor of 30.

Unfortunately, shrinking the prop does little good because much of the drag of these things tends to come from other sources. I.E. the SAS and RTGs. That's why a giant pile of SAS and RTGs still generally has a pretty limited spin rate AFAIK.

You could try gearing it for high RPM, but that sounds unbelievably complex and fragile.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.