[1.4.x] Comfortable Landing [V1.6]

Icecovery

2 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

I think @hraban means to ask: If your capsule is, say, 1.25m, and all your buoys/airbags are for 2.5m pods, is there a way to rescale the airbags/buoys to half the size?

According to the MM settings from the configurations it can be seen that the airbag and float parts could be adapted in scale and position to the planned capsule. Whether this should work without errors should be determined by tests.

26 minutes ago, hraban said:

According to the MM settings from the configurations it can be seen that the airbag and float parts could be adapted in scale and position to the planned capsule. Whether this should work without errors should be determined by tests.

That's right, you can change scale and position or even rotation in the CFG file, and I think there is no chance to go wrong.

12 hours ago, Icecovery said:

I will try to solve this problem, a standalone pack maybe?

Thanks for even considering it.  :wink:  A standalone pack would be great - I wouldn't think they'd need to be much more than a thin slice/ring that you can put under the pod.

Edited by DStaal
Post duplicated itself...

14 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Another mod now has compatibility for your mod!

https://imgur.com/gallery/KbK5F

qsT9Y8n.png

Ak68pmy.png

5PryW9R.png

c0nKCl2.png

Looks really great! But there is a problem, I just checked the code and I seem to forget to add buoyancy to the airbag:confused:, I will add that feature soon.

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Does this actually work to cushion a landing if you coming down too fast? Or is it more visual than anything else?

Is this on CKAN, and if not, would you mind if I add it to CKAN?

Yes, the crashTolerance of the part will increases temporarily when it is inflating.

For CKAN, I was checked "Add mod to CKAN" option when I created MOD on Spacedock, I think it will appear in CKAN in a few days. I don't know how it works, but this is how my other MODs appeared on CKAN.

But of course, I'm very honored if you can help me add it to CKAN, thank you! :D

25 minutes ago, Icecovery said:

Looks really great! But there is a problem, I just checked the code and I seem to forget to add buoyancy to the airbag:confused:, I will add that feature soon.

Yes, the crashTolerance of the part will increases temporarily when it is inflating.

For CKAN, I was checked "Add mod to CKAN" option when I created MOD on Spacedock, I think it will appear in CKAN in a few days. I don't know how it works, but this is how my other MODs appeared on CKAN.

But of course, I'm very honored if you can help me add it to CKAN, thank you! :D

The autogen doesn't work that well, so I'll redo it for you.

and it's up

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hey! I was just playing around with some of roverdude's old floatation parts, but this is much better. I on the other hand prefer this built-in to the pod because it reduces the number of part dependencies, and Soyuz landing jets are great to have built in. (It would be nice to have a retextured pod to show the retros, but not necessary).

I do have a question about these parts IRL that I haven't found. Is it true that these inflatables popped out of the pod, or were they attached by rescue divers? The one thing I do know is that the balloon-like things on the top of Apollo were to right the capsule upright in rough seas, could those activate a few seconds before the main ring, to simulate this?

Did you write your own plugin, or did you use/base it on Roverdude's? I'm curious how these work.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

Great work on this mod, @Icecovery! I too definitely like how the buoys/airbags are directly integrated into various pods instead of having dedicated parts - definitely makes integration into existing and new craft much easier.

I do have a bit of a request, however. Reading through your (comprehensive) documentation on GitHub, I see that you currently support buoys that work only on splashdown, as well as airbags that work on both splashdown and landing. Would it be possible to also have an additional part module that deploys on landing only?

I'm asking this because my SDHI SMS mod uses the stock Mk1-2 pod, and I would like to have separate models and animations for the buoy and airbag - specifically, I would like to keep the default CL flotation collar and righting balls in the pod for splashdowns, while having a custom SDHI airbag in my custom heat shield that only works for terrestrial landings:

CjIdRn0.png

KEoWhQJ.png

Not necessarily something you may be able to fix, but loading the mod with a compatible capsule already up in orbit causes the bags to deploy and it can't be righted. 

Perhaps a way to override it to reverse it would be a good option, if only for this potential bug?

18 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Hey! I was just playing around with some of roverdude's old floatation parts, but this is much better. I on the other hand prefer this built-in to the pod because it reduces the number of part dependencies, and Soyuz landing jets are great to have built in. (It would be nice to have a retextured pod to show the retros, but not necessary).

I do have a question about these parts IRL that I haven't found. Is it true that these inflatables popped out of the pod, or were they attached by rescue divers? The one thing I do know is that the balloon-like things on the top of Apollo were to right the capsule upright in rough seas, could those activate a few seconds before the main ring, to simulate this?

I was not really sure the order of inflating ball and ring so I just make ring first. :confused: I will change it next version.

18 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Did you write your own plugin, or did you use/base it on Roverdude's? I'm curious how these work.

Yes, I'm using the plugin write by myself, you can view source code at Github page.

17 hours ago, sumghai said:

Great work on this mod, @Icecovery! I too definitely like how the buoys/airbags are directly integrated into various pods instead of having dedicated parts - definitely makes integration into existing and new craft much easier.

I do have a bit of a request, however. Reading through your (comprehensive) documentation on GitHub, I see that you currently support buoys that work only on splashdown, as well as airbags that work on both splashdown and landing. Would it be possible to also have an additional part module that deploys on landing only?

I'm asking this because my SDHI SMS mod uses the stock Mk1-2 pod, and I would like to have separate models and animations for the buoy and airbag - specifically, I would like to keep the default CL flotation collar and righting balls in the pod for splashdowns, while having a custom SDHI airbag in my custom heat shield that only works for terrestrial landings:

CjIdRn0.png

KEoWhQJ.png

That's a very easy way to solve this problem: if you gonna to landing on the land, only click "Per-landing mode" button at heat shield. And if you gonna to splashing on the sea, only click "Per-landing mode" button at Mk1-2 pod.:D

6 hours ago, G'th said:

Not necessarily something you may be able to fix, but loading the mod with a compatible capsule already up in orbit causes the bags to deploy and it can't be righted. 

Perhaps a way to override it to reverse it would be a good option, if only for this potential bug?

Of course, and it is really easy to do.:rolleyes:

Edited by Icecovery