Development Update for Consoles!

UomoCapra

4 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I believe maceemiller's sentiment was meant as sympathy over an incomplete game rather than disregard for consoles. At least, I hope so. 

I knew immediately that he was being understanding. Hence why I replied to his comment the way I did.

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I believe maceemiller's sentiment was meant as sympathy over an incomplete game rather than disregard for consoles. At least, I hope so. 

That is exactly what I meant. I used to play consoles before I found KSP on PC and have played nothing else so no console hating here.

I certainly can though feel the frustration console players undoubtedly have.

7 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

That is exactly what I meant. I used to play consoles before I found KSP on PC and have played nothing else so no console hating here.

I certainly can though feel the frustration console players undoubtedly have.

Again, I appreciate your concern for our frustration. You're one of the few PC players it seems that truly understands our predicament.

Sadly, most others think that we're being petulant and won't stop complaining, but if they were in our situation, they'd think differently. Maybe if Squad kept that new Making History add-on from them for a year and a half, they'd know how we feel.

10 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

Sadly, most others think that we're being petulant and won't stop complaining

Oh I don't think that is the case at all. Sure there have been a few posts from trolls, but I think the majority of PC players in the community are just frustrated that you are still stuck with a malfulctioning game and waiting for a very, very, very long time for a fix.

We are with you on this one.

32 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Oh I don't think that is the case at all. Sure there have been a few posts from trolls, but I think the majority of PC players in the community are just frustrated that you are still stuck with a malfulctioning game and waiting for a very, very, very long time for a fix.

We are with you on this one.

I hope so. It seems that the longer we wait, the more people come and question us console gamers. 

But it's nice to know that we're not alone.

Edited by LegendaryAce

I still find it interesting that people say its completely unplayable...I get that people are losing saves and that sucks balls...but I still enjoy making things with it.

I posted this for some friends to get them into Kerbal a year ago: https://andrewkermanmissionreport.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/mission-1-operation-catch-ball.html

and i still have that asteroid in Kerbin orbit currently being mined for fuel. that's in Science mode (also that science mode still has my first ever Mun landing site and my duna crash site along with a Laythe probe orbiting and solar probe.

I also have a separate Sandbox file which i'm currently putting together a muner station and a muner base. and have a Tie Fighter and an English Electric Lightning that I made.

After the first update, i made a new file because people were saying their old saves were being deleted. The only one that got deleted was my new file so i went back to my old save.

I know these files are at risk. but I've been enjoying them for a year or so...i'm just very active in deleting debris and unused craft.

Also a factor is that i probably don't have time to play it as much as you guys what with 5 kids and all.

I'm by no means saying i have my moneys worth, the glitches and stuff are really annoying and i'm looking forward to risk free creation but i'm making it work for now.

It's not unplayable, however when it's not worth it to try any mission farther than minmus because of the potential of losing the mission into oblivion after hours of invested time kind puts a damper on a desire to play.   I enjoy playing the career mode, and I just can not do what I'd like to without losing my data.   I have had one successful mission to Duna, which was my first, a probe to Duna and back to see if I could do it.  After that the next four missions I attempted to Duna crashed well into the mission and had the data corrupted.

From time to time I will mess around in sandbox just trying to come up with different types of ships, and maybe do a short mission in career,  but I can't bring myself to play for any extended period of time in career because of the likely hood of wasting my time from corrupted data.

I would say it's pretty much unplayable, at least after some time, i have a career save wich, no matter what i do, crashes everytime. Even if i just time accelerat. It has about 13 aktiv vessels but grounded or in stable orbit. I even dont mind the controls via gamepad, the only really downseight is in my opinion that u only can use "normal" sas because everthing else sas wise freaks out if u go in cursor mode. I'm not a nativ speaker so sorry for bad grama and stuf    

I originally started playing KSP on console and it was actually a lot of fun. You figure out little hacks to deal with the control scheme, how to deal with wobbly craft, and the like. I got frustrated though by the lack of precision and just general annoyance/difficulty doing things that I could see PC players (via YouTube) doing with ease: maneuver nodes, moving parts with VAB, etc.

So I decided to upgrade to a gaming PC, in large part to play games like KSP and be able to mod them. KSP is literally 1000% better on PC, especially with mods. I'm not saying this as a dig to consoles. And not trolling console gamers either, I know that not everyone can (or wants to) upgrade to PC. 

But if you are really wanting to play this game to its fullest potential, even with a basic upgraded PC and a few mods, it is so much more playable. Where I had maybe 20 hours on KSP console, I'm currently at 451 hours on KSP via Steam alone. 

Just my experience. Thought I'd share.

Edited by scottadges

On 9/18/2017 at 1:23 AM, LegendaryAce said:

Again, I appreciate your concern for our frustration. You're one of the few PC players it seems that truly understands our predicament.

Sadly, most others think that we're being petulant and won't stop complaining, but if they were in our situation, they'd think differently. Maybe if Squad kept that new Making History add-on from them for a year and a half, they'd know how we feel.

I would suspect that a majority of the PC players that visit the forums regularly are understanding and sympathetic to the plight of the console players to one degree or another.

But we generally don't have much constructive to add to the conversation so we don't say anything.

Hey guys!

Anyone have any useful information on the console update? I have heard that they are nearing completion, i understand that the game takes a a long time to complete but all console players are really loosing hope, the saves keep deleting themselves and months of hardwork is destroyed, please guys all i need is a little info i am really loosing hope. This game is beyond incredible and the longer i must wait the more frustrated i and many more become.

The KSP Weekly posts in The Daily Kerbal section of the forum provide a weekly report of the development of KSP both on console and PC.

If you want an extremely brief summary: to fix all the console version problems Blitworks started from scratch, work is continuing, bugs are fewer, and control schemes are being tested and fine-tuned.

If you want more details check out those posts and I think there's main thread for the console versions which might hold more info. As always with Squad: there is no announced release date and it will be available when it is ready.

My impression of the situation is they are taking their time to make sure they don't repeat the same mistakes as the original release. They can choose to rush things again, but you're already familiar with what happens when they do that.

A short one this week because of the earthquakes in Mexico...

Thousands lost their patrimony, but our strength and solidarity will help us overcome this disaster. Buildings and roads can be rebuilt, and little by little the country will return to normality. If you want to help the victims, you can do so by donating to the Mexican Red CrossUNICEF or the Topos Rescue Brigades. Any help will make a difference.

[Development news start here]

Despite the obvious news of the week, we did make some progress, which we are happy to
share.

For starters, the QA team has had another busy week of control scheme testing and general bug reporting for the consoles. Thankfully there are not so many of the general bugs now, so together with our external QA team and Blitworks, we are concentrating on getting the controls complete.

Edited by Ineedaweapon

I will set aside my frustration this week, and say that I firmly hope that everyone at @SQUAD is safe, and that everyone there stays safe and can get through this disaster as quickly as possible. 

All of us, both console and PC gamers, are united in our support for you guys!

9 hours ago, LegendaryAce said:

I will set aside my frustration this week, and say that I firmly hope that everyone at @SQUAD is safe, and that everyone there stays safe and can get through this disaster as quickly as possible. 

All of us, both console and PC gamers, are united in our support for you guys!

I wholeheartedly agree, heres the whole report for clarity, looks like squad and their families are ok.

Welcome to KSP Weekly everyone. This issue will be fairly short. This Tuesday, September 19th, a major Earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 struck Mexico, less than two weeks after another one with a magnitude of 8.2, and exactly on the 32nd anniversary of the 1985 Mexico City earthquake. Unfortunately this latest Earthquake caused serious damage, toppled dozens of buildings, rendered countless others uninhabitable, and killed hundreds of people; especially in Puebla, Morelos, the State of Mexico and Mexico City, the latter with the most casualties. The Earthquake began around 1:14pm, while we were at our offices, and it was one of the scariest things we’ve experienced. Since the epicenter was 158.5 km from the city, it struck as soon as the alarms started to ring, so it had begun before we were able to leave the building. Shortly after the Earthquake stopped we started to learn about its aftermath and that was the worst part. Electricity was failing in most of the city, there were gas leaks and telecommunications were over saturated, so trying to get in contact with our families was very distressing, especially after hearing that some buildings had fallen. Naturally, the office closed for the rest of the day and we went straight home to see if everything was ok. Luckily the whole team and our families are all safe and sound. Nevertheless, after being sure that our loved ones were safe, some of us decided to help those that were trapped under debris. Personally, I went to a 7 story building that fell not far from where I live. When I arrived there were hundreds of people already helping to remove the debris, stone by stone, since most of them were civilians without equipment, but it did not matter, we all knew that in these situations every minute counts and there was no time to lose. Many people were trapped, but nobody knew the exact number. By the minute more people came with buckets, shovels, picks and mallets, and shortly after, the army and professional rescue teams with dogs and machinery came too. Thousands gathered, everybody helped as they could, bringing equipment, food and water to the rescuers. It was not long until the first persons were found, some of them fortunately still alive. The rescue effort wouldn’t stop until everybody was found. I’ve never experienced something like this and the solidarity we Mexicans have shown in such difficult times is, simply put, extraordinary and it gives us hope in such dark times.

There are two main types of Earthquakes, categorized by their motion: when they have an horizontal, side-to-side motion, they are called oscillatory Earthquakes, and when it’s a vertical, up-and-down motion, they are designated as trepidatory Earthquakes, which are far more dangerous, especially near the epicenter. This was unfortunately the case on Tuesday. Moreover, Mexico City is especially at risk of major earthquakes because of its location. Five tectonic plates - Cocos, Pacific, Caribbean, Panama and North American - collide in central and southern Mexico, making the region one of the most unstable. Furthermore, the downtown of Mexico City is especially vulnerable to quakes because of the very soft and wet ground underneath. Our city, one of the most densely populated in the world, was built on what is now a dry lakebed and that plays a large role in the intensity of earthquakes. Its soil amplifies shaking and is prone to liquefaction, which is the ability to transform dirt into a dense liquid when sufficiently churned. Additionally, Tuesday’s earthquake struck at a depth of about 51 km, within the range of the so called shallow quakes, which often cause the most damage, compared to the ones that are deeper, regardless of the strength. All those factors made it particularly destructive and the reason why, despite of being one whole point under the earthquake magnitude scale in comparison with the one that struck us on September 9th, it was much more devastating. 

Thousands lost their patrimony, but our strength and solidarity will help us overcome this disaster. Buildings and roads can be rebuilt, and little by little the country will return to normality. If you want to help the victims, you can do so by donating to the Mexican Red CrossUNICEF or the Topos Rescue Brigades. Any help will make a difference.

Hey there!

does anyone know if squad will really update the console version after 1.2, i would love to know because i want to play on xbox but if squad are going to leave it after 1.2 then there is no point playing it so i am thinking of purchasing a gaming Pc, i have been given no useful answer for a almost an entire year so i would really appreciate any information. Kerbal space program is incredible and waiting is really frustrating for all console player.

Thanks for reading boi!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

15 hours ago, Finno12307 said:

Hey there!

does anyone know if squad will really update the console version after 1.2, i would love to know because i want to play on xbox but if squad are going to leave it after 1.2 then there is no point playing it so i am thinking of purchasing a gaming Pc, i have been given no useful answer for a almost an entire year so i would really appreciate any information. Kerbal space program is incredible and waiting is really frustrating for all console player.

Thanks for reading boi!

I would imagine they're waiting to see how well the 1.2.2 release goes on console before they make any decisions regarding future updates.

41 minutes ago, Ineedaweapon said:

I would imagine they're waiting to see how well the 1.2.2 release goes on console before they make any decisions regarding future updates.

If that's the case, then KSP will be one of those games that I played for a few weeks/months, got bored, shelved it, and stopped playing for years.

If Squad doesn't continue updating the console versions after 1.2, then they really will have shafted all of us console gamers. I really hope they don't, but if they do, I'll make sure everyone I know makes sure to avoid anything developed by Squad.

(EDIT: Truthfully, they already have my $40, so they could go on their merry way and release nothing for us. At this point, this mythical update is word of mouth, and we have to take it on good faith that it's actually in development.)

Edited by LegendaryAce

33 minutes ago, LegendaryAce said:

If Squad doesn't continue updating the console versions after 1.2, then they really will have shafted all of us console gamers. I really hope they don't, but if they do, I'll make sure everyone I know makes sure to avoid anything developed by Squad.

The thing is Squad no longer owns or controls KSP. Squad is still currently handling development, but Squad sold ownership of KSP to Take-Two Interactive. I'd have to imagine they're the ones who actually make decisions on what work is or isn't done from here on out.

At this point Squad is an independent, third-party development team that for the time being is hired by Take-Two to work on KSP. There is nothing to suggest that will change, but presumably Take-Two could stop development (of any version) or switch development teams at any time with or without Squad's permission.

I find in interesting that Squad is now a software development team that owns no products and currently consists of people who, since being hired by Squad, have only released updates for a product made by former employees. I think Squad shows some promise, but I'm very curious to see what comes after console and PC updates and Take-Two's first expansion to KSP. (I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.)

Edited by Mako