Dres canyon speed record

As fast as you can ofcourse. There's nothing to stop you from going through at 100 kilometers per second. Although it will be quite tricky to rendezvouz with the canyon, the faster your relative velocity is the harder to pre calculate where your trajectory ends up to be. Doing this as fast as someone can is a very interesting piloting and engineering challenge.

By the way, is this actually a challenge invitation?
Wrong subforum. Although I'm not particularly sure that's where your after, so I will wait for you to verify.

10 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

As fast as you can ofcourse. There's nothing to stop you from going through at 100 kilometers per second. Although it will be quite tricky to rendezvouz with the canyon, the faster your relative velocity is the harder to pre calculate where your trajectory ends up to be. Doing this as fast as someone can is a very interesting piloting and engineering challenge.

By the way, is this actually a challenge invitation?
Wrong subforum. Although I'm not particularly sure that's where your after, so I will wait for you to verify.

If I call it a challenge, I have to do it myself right?

2 hours ago, Palaceviking said:

If I call it a challenge, I have to do it myself right?

Go to the challenge subforum and read the challenge submission guide. But yes, its expected that you at least try your own challenge to prove it possible or demonstrate that you put some effort into it.

Friendly warning: Often, what could have been a good challenge get ignored because is poorly set up. 

59 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

This has me intrigued. Rumor has it that, if you reach the end of the trench, there is a small exhaust port right below the main port. It's about 2 meters wide.

Kek, gives me an idea for the challenge name!!

11 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Go to the challenge subforum and read the challenge submission guide. But yes, its expected that you at least try your own challenge to prove it possible or demonstrate that you put some effort into it.

Friendly warning: Often, what could have been a good challenge get ignored because is poorly set up. 

Yep,  done that before. This'll be a few days in the making as I enjoy doing all my crazy ideas on my career save.

I'm thinking surface speed being the deciding factor and full launch being included cos half the challenge in ksp is getting there.

20 hours ago, Jarin said:

So, screenshot mid-canyon, showing the speed of surface travel. Categories for powered and ballistic (i.e. all engine modules have to be ditched a certain distance out; maybe as far as SOI edge)

I'm thinking more of a free for all with minimal rules(stock parts, no orbit editing etc) because the margins are going to be high with so many variables anyway(I'm pretty confident I can pull 9km/s, go on, ask me how).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.