IR Sub-mod Heli Swashplate

LN400

Since I'm attempting to build a working swashplate using IR/tweakscale and seeing the challenges coming from the limitations in the game mechanics (not being allowed to have more than one node/attachment path  for one), I was wondering if it would be something for a thrifty modeller/mod to create a tweakabe swashplate in its entirety as one part.

Points to consider when modelling/creating the part:

The part could use IR tech/code for pushrods/servos.

The swash needs to be able to tilt around the main mast with no/minimal lateral movement so the rotation points need to be on a plane halving the swash, precisely.

Awareness of cross-coupling of inputs so to avoid those.

The part could perhaps be KOS friendly but not dependent on KOS.

Tweakscale should work with the part.

A couple of different designs: 4 servos sharing collective/cyclic duties (perhaps KOS is necessary) or 4 servos for cyclic and another 4 for collective. 3 for cyclic is possible but I would think not without KOS to do the necessary mixing.

Tail rotor assembly would also be something since it too has a "collective" (no "cyclic" though). Alternatively one could use a variable speed motor for the tail but for the sake of detail madness, a fully fledged tail would be sweet.

Not sure if it is possible to have a "collar" part around a mast or if the mast would need to be in 2 pieces, one below and one aboe the swashplate assembly.

Mad dream or doable?

Hi, as a bit of a heli nut myself I can see the why,  sadly unless i've missed something in the depths of IR you can only have 1 moving and 1 fixed mesh, and only 1 plane of movement ,  so you can have slide or roll but not both,  there are odd things around that look like they break these rules but in truth it's just clever hierarchy manipulation, and if examined will show only two meshes.   .

All is not lost though as it is possible to make compound elements, that is parts made from more than one part  that seem to function as one.  I've a feeling that some of the function and linkages may be able to be simulated using the constrain FX ( part of the animation suite)  this ensures that part X follows part Y as if attached, when in fact they are not.  

With winter drawing in I may pull a rotor head off one of my large RC's and see how and if it could be replicated in IR.    Not even thinking about the control right now, just the parts.  

Not easy , and harder as the number of mod makers who make IR parts is tiny, for something so simple ( 1 moving mesh 1 fixed mesh)   it can be very frustrating for anyone attempting IR part creation  for the first time

My IR prototype swash is working... as long as the rotor hub with the blade grips aren't involved (d'oh) but on its own, it works. Collective lowers and raises the swash as it should and the cyclic tilts the plate where it should. The problem I can't seem to work around is the connection between the upper swash and the blade grips.

The way I'm doing it now is:

Have the entire assembly rest on a Proc Fairings Interstage, using the top node for the rotor rotation motor. The swash assembly is connected to the interstage base.

Bottom to top:

Interstage base for a "disconnected" rotor drive on top.

4 servos for collective pushing and pulling a ->

thrust plate where the cyclic servos are attached. They (one of them really) connects with the lower swash. On their own, this works.

Powerless rotator

Upper swash with linkages to blade grips.

Top node: Rotor drive and hub

Powerless pitch rotators with blade grips and control arms.

Problem was as soon as I connected the upper swash with the control arms, the upper swash no longer tilted and the swash rotator snapped. The swash seems to work as long as the lower and upper assemblies are disconnected. As soon as they connect, all hell breaks loose.

One test successfully had the rotor hub drive the upper swash but that was with no tilt. Collective has been the easy part so far. Cyclic not so much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.