[WIP 1.3.1] Kube - spaceship parts

Katten

Hi everybody!

I'm working on a set of parts for building larger spaceships of non-round shapes! 
Would love some feedback.

Here are all parts at the moment. Some are configurable via B9 Part Switch to include different meshes, attach nodes and resources. 
https://imgur.com/a/CDhcf

Here's an example of a "small" craft using this system:
https://imgur.com/a/fVvJa

And a round vessel using some of the rounded edge parts and adapters:
https://imgur.com/a/IrVx0

I'm more or less a beginner on modelling and texturing, so any here's what I would like to ask:

* What do you think of the concept, is it worth continuing building on this?
* Any advice how to take the modelling and texturing to the next level?
* Any idea about how I would make models flow together better? I have tried to match up the textures but it becomes pretty hard when there is multiple shapes involved.

Updated with v.0.03:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ue8t26tqn6b6vx2/AACPEC4-Atm4hG4yvYA8j4Kqa?dl=0

Patch log:

Spoiler

v0.02
* Added a specular shader on the windows of the pod
* Moved the pod to the Pods Category
* Moved the cargo bays to the Payload Category
* Fixed an issue with node placements on the Kube Cargo, as well as a adjusted the cargo door pivot point
* Balanced costs and mass

v0.03:
* Added 4 edge adapters
* Added 4 corner adapters
* Added 1 adapter converting from one 5m node to four 2.5m
* Added 3 adapters converting from one 2.5m node to four 2.5m
* Added a rounded edge habitat
* Updated window textures to match stock
* Removed bevels to make parts flow together better
* Fixed multiple smaller issues
* Added another attachment node to the long edge piece

Requirements:
* B9PartSwitch
* NearFutureConstruction (I use the fuel tanks from there - I don't know if that is legit.. might change over to IFS instead in any case)

Recommended: 
* ReCoupler (larger crafts will benefit from using all the extra attach nodes that the cube format creates)

Planned:
* Improve texturing
* Transfer to IFS
* Add engine mounts
* Add areospike engine
* Add IVA??

Edited by Katten

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just looked at this, Very nice, although the category for the command pod is wrong.

I'm not sure about some of the other stats, maxtemp for example seems a bit low.

Thanks for the testing! Okey, I will go over the stats to match stock performance.

I'll move the pod to the command category. In time, I'll add more parts, like habitats. Since they mostly fit to other cubic parts, I was thinking of making a separate Kube category... would that be appropriate?

19 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Question, what license does this mod have?

Good question, I don't know anything about how parts are usually released so don't have a plan. I'm thinking "do whatever you want with it".

Edited by Katten

3 hours ago, Katten said:

Thanks for the testing! Okey, I will go over the stats to match stock performance.

I'll move the pod to the command category. In time, I'll add more parts, like habitats. Since they mostly fit to other cubic parts, I was thinking of making a separate Kube category... would that be appropriate?

Good question, I don't know anything about how parts are usually released so don't have a plan. I'm thinking "do whatever you want with it".

What you are thinking of is called the Unlicense

Others which are similar are are GPL, or the  CC-BY

All are valid, and all will do what you want.

Regarding a category, no for stock but I would suggest looking at the Community Category Kit, I've written a patch for you below which you can use (untested, but should work).  You will need to create a normal (ie:  unselected) and a selected icon.

Two more things:

First, if you can, convert the PNG files to DDS files, they load faster.

Second, and this is somewhat of a personal preference.  I prefer to have each part in it's own folder, not all bundled together.  It makes sense to put them together ff they were all sharing the same textures, but since each seems to have it's own texture file, I'd prefer to put them serarately. 

@CCKExtraFilterConfig:NEEDS[CommunityCategoryKit&Kube]
{
	Item
	{
		name = Kube
		tag = cck-kube
		normalIcon = Kube/Icons/kube_N
		selectedIcon = Kube/Icons/kube_S
		usedByMod = Kube
	}
}

@PART[kube*]:NEEDS[CommunityCategoryKit&kube]
{
	@tags ^= :^: cck-kube :
}

Oh, I see, thanks! I will look into that!

They do share the textures, for example a solid tri part will need both the kube.png and the kube_tri.png for it's different sides. I'll convert them to dds tho.

v0.03: Today I'm making adapters. So many adapters, lol. 

FOeGLcc.png

Couple more pics here.
https://imgur.com/a/CDhcf

Also testing in space!
Some new 5m parts! Both the front cone and the back cylinder are single parts. The habitats and the cargos are 4 wedges each!

nS2s3Xp.png
https://imgur.com/a/IrVx0

On 10/1/2017 at 1:56 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding a category, no for stock but I would suggest looking at the Community Category Kit, I've written a patch for you below which you can use (untested, but should work).  You will need to create a normal (ie:  unselected) and a selected icon.

The patch worked great, thanks so much!

The content of extra categories tend to be removed when reloading the database, but that seem to happen for all mods, so I won't bother solving that.

2 hours ago, Katten said:

The content of extra categories tend to be removed when reloading the database, but that seem to happen for all mods, so I won't bother solving that.

Reloading databases is only a development tool, not recommended for normal gameplay for (among others) the reason you mention

• 7 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 9:33 PM, lBoBl said:

Are you still working on this ? It looks quite interresting, I've been looking for something like this for a long time !

Hi!

Not really... in my own tests, I found it pretty cumbersome to build something great with it - things tended to become pretty big and hard to launch, even after I shrank the components. But if there is an interest and specific requests I could maybe do some updates =)

Just now, Katten said:

Hi!

Not really... in my own tests, I found it pretty cumbersome to build something great with it - things tended to become pretty big and hard to launch, even after I shrank the components. But if there is an interest and specific requests I could maybe do some updates =)

Well I was desperately looking for some cube shaped modular parts to build ginormous spaceships in orbit with a futuristic kind of look. But I have a pretty good idea of what I'd want, and in a few months when my current work will be finished I'll probably build a mod of my own.

And congrats for your new mod, it looks awesome !

Edited by lBoBl

14 minutes ago, lBoBl said:

Well I was desperately looking for some cube shaped modular parts to build ginormous spaceships in orbit with a futuristic kind of look. But I have a pretty good idea of what I'd want, and in a few months when my current work will be finished I'll probably build a mod of my own.

And congrats for your new mod, it looks awesome !

Oh, thanks!

Well, just tell me if you can use the source blender files or something.. not that they are great or anything =)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.