MechWarrior: Online Discussion

Bill Phil

MechWarrior: Online is (currently) the latest MechWarrior game. It's a multiplayer game where players pilot mechs of wide varieties and complete objectives against other players on the opposing team. 

So I've been a fan of MechWarrior for quite some time, from the second game and beyond. As such, I've dabbled somewhat in MechWarrior: Online. I have a few issues with it, most of which are geared to the lack of singleplayer/instant action modes, but I'm hoping that they might rectify that with MechWarrior 5, if it gets released. I admit I'm a bit excited, it's been so long since MechWarrior 4.

Currently in MechWarrior: Online I have just two mechs, a Blackjack and a Warhammer. I had to really grind for that Warhammer. At this point I'm debating whether or not I should try to improve it. I could upgrade it in various ways, but they're very costly, and that would involve more grinding. Maybe I should stick to MechWarrior 2.

So does anyone else play MechWarrior: Online, or any MechWarrior game, for that matter? If so, which games/mech designs are your favorites? I'm particularly partial to the Warhammer and the Timberwolf/Mad Cat. I don't know why, exactly, they're just cool looking to my eye. And as for my favorite game, it'd probably be MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries with the MekTek Mechpacks.

Otherwise, if you've got any screenshots or stories to tell, please do.

I've tried it a couple times. I very much like the concept of Mechs, along with cool looking armour, but I've never really gotten into the game. I did have Mech Assault for Xbox. I've found the online game to be rather difficult to get used to. The gameplay is a bit fast, the UI a bit confusing, and the combat a bit disorienting.

Not that I don't think I could get used to it if I really tried, but I'm already a big World of Tanks player, and not hot on the idea of putting in the time and energy to learn another game like that. Basically, I've put in my time and worked through the grind of one game already, and I don't really want to 'start over' in another game anymore.

As far as designs go, I'd have to say the Summoner is easily one of my favourites from playing Mech Assault. It's not so much that it's particularly good, it just looks really cool.

Edited by Randox

I've played MW3, MW4 + its expansions (love Mercenaries, but could never figure out where to get the MekTek packs and install them - not that I tried very hard looking), MechCommander 2, and I played MWO for a couple months or so earlier this year.  It was okay-ish.  I wasn't a great player, and I generally prefer single-player games to online multiplayer (I've only ever played two - MWO and Dungeons and Dragons Online - the latter with my girlfriend, my daughter, and my girlfriend's sister-in-law).

As for MWO, as I said, it was okay.  For awhile, it was fun, but the constant repetitiveness of the skirmishes got old after a couple months, and I wasn't familiar enough with faction play to really do a lot with that.  Ran one or two faction games with a group that invited me in, and they were a lot of fun to run with, very friendly and understanding of a newb to MP online MechWarrioring, but after awhile, I just felt I wasn't improving well enough to continue.  Still have it installed, though, just in case I get the itch for some Mech-stomping, but most likely, I won't get back into it, since I have MechWarrior 5 to look forward to.  Single player, and from what I've read*, more like Mercs than Vengeance, which is a good thing in my book.  Vengeance was good, but Mercs was great... BK was... well, not as good as Vengeance, but not too bad, either.

The other thing that started turning me off MWO was that I was there when the major changes were being "tested" for the new "skill trees".  All the controversy in the forums and in-game chat was starting to wear me down.  I could see both sides of the issue, but it just seemed a bit too much, too fast for me to deal with, so I stopped playing.  

Oddly enough, just last night I was going through my installed games to see if they still worked okay, and when I loaded up MWO, I got all kinds of GXP and credit injections (probably the compensation that was promised once the new skill trees went live).  I think I also have something like 60 or 90 bonus days available (or whatever they're called - can't remember).

*Latest issue of PC Gamer (US) has MW5 as a cover story - they play-tested an early build.

thats my other game. i have over 150 mechs and have recently made tier one. i find things have improved with the skill trees and new tech releases. though i think my biggest gripe is stuff like that should have been done 2 years ago. biggest issue right now is lack of map developments. the game has few maps and many of them are poorly designed. another being the unsupported version of cryengine that they are using, i find it buggy and somewhat limiting further development of the game. im kind of taking an extended break from the game. between the amount of grind, saltiness of the community, and bumbling of the developers, one can only play it so much before they get fed up with it.

I kind of feel like it should be more combined arms, with tanks and aerotech fighters getting involved. Although then we're talking about a full on Battletech inspired video game, as opposed to just being a MechWarrior, the player could be a pilot or a tank driver. Would be nice, though.

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

thats my other game. i have over 150 mechs and have recently made tier one. i find things have improved with the skill trees and new tech releases. though i think my biggest gripe is stuff like that should have been done 2 years ago. biggest issue right now is lack of map developments. the game has few maps and many of them are poorly designed. another being the unsupported version of cryengine that they are using, i find it buggy and somewhat limiting further development of the game. im kind of taking an extended break from the game. between the amount of grind, saltiness of the community, and bumbling of the developers, one can only play it so much before they get fed up with it.

150! By the name of Kerensky, that's an enormous amount!

I assume there's some chassis overlap, but with different variants?

14 hours ago, Nuke said:

Ding, ding!!!  Give the man a cookie!  Yeah, that's pretty much a major part of the reason I stopped playing.  When I was running with the faction I was invited into to "learn the ropes", it was better, but one or two nights per week of that wasn't enough to make up for the crap going on any other time.  I only made it as far as Tier 4, and even then, just barely before I stopped playing.

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Yeah, pretty much.  Some chassis have up to five variants, most have three or four.  I think I ended up with more than 20 but less than 30.

I suppose at some point, I ought to try playing again for a week or two to see how the changes affect things - remember that I left before the major skill tree change was permanent.  Only there for the first two test releases, and I didn't participate in either of those.

8 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

I kind of feel like it should be more combined arms, with tanks and aerotech fighters getting involved. Although then we're talking about a full on Battletech inspired video game, as opposed to just being a MechWarrior, the player could be a pilot or a tank driver. Would be nice, though.

prior to skill trees i had mastered every mech in the game, selling back the bad varients, but keeping at least one to represent the chassis (more often 2 or 3). you could always buy them back and they would remain mastered. now when skill trees came out they closed this loophole. the mechs i have sold still have their mastery logged and i can buy them back and master them once, but that only applies to stuff sold before the skill tree redux. post skill tree ive just been buying all variants of each mech as they come out for cbills.

6 hours ago, MaxxQ said:

Ding, ding!!!  Give the man a cookie!  Yeah, that's pretty much a major part of the reason I stopped playing.  When I was running with the faction I was invited into to "learn the ropes", it was better, but one or two nights per week of that wasn't enough to make up for the crap going on any other time.  I only made it as far as Tier 4, and even then, just barely before I stopped playing.

Yeah, pretty much.  Some chassis have up to five variants, most have three or four.  I think I ended up with more than 20 but less than 30.

I suppose at some point, I ought to try playing again for a week or two to see how the changes affect things - remember that I left before the major skill tree change was permanent.  Only there for the first two test releases, and I didn't participate in either of those.

if you havent played since skill trees you probibly should. they added a bunch of new weaponry since then. the skill trees weren't really that bad. i rather like the levels of customization.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.