request: unlocked IVA camera

Drew Kerman

I know pizzaoverhead is working on a mod to let Kerbals roam free in IVA spaces but for now I'd be happy for a mod that lets you unlock the camera and move it around & point it anywhere similar to how CameraTools functions with the mouse and numpad.

I understand why Squad has the camera setup the way it is currently with fixed viewpoints - saves the need for even a low-mesh collision box around the IVA to prevent the camera from clipping through & having users phone in support issues about it. With this being a mod it shouldn't be a problem for the camera to float outside the IVA space so it would hopefully be a simple matter of just adding key/mouse bindings to move the camera object. Unless if having the camera end up outside the IVA throws all sorts of horrible NREs & crashes the game?

Welp, hopefully the more KSP-technical minded are listening... I'm not going to call upon @linuxgurugamer to implement this but hopefully he can at least chime in on feasibility given his overall experience. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's something about this that's harder than meets the eye because I'm really surprised no one has done this yet given how much cinematic work is done with the game's external camera (I know it's been requested before...)

26 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It probably isn't too difficult, but I don't have time for it now.

That's fine, I was serious when I said I didn't want you to do it. But hopefully your opinion on it being not too difficult will help spur someone else to look into it :)

6 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

That's fine, I was serious when I said I didn't want you to do it. But hopefully your opinion on it being not too difficult will help spur someone else to look into it :)

Given the number of other mods which alter the camera (Through The Eyes, Camera Focus Changer, Camera Tools, Docking Camera, Improved Chase Camera, WASDEditorCamera), I can't imagine it's that difficult.  Hopefully someone else can take a look at these to see how it's done.

7 hours ago, Jas0n said:

Here's a WIP mod that does what you're asking for.

Yea that's the mod I referenced in the first paragraph of my post. I'm looking for something up-to-date (I can't run some IVA prop instruments on older versions) and minimalist, tho I certainly hope pizzaoverhead finds time to finish his work soon

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Yea that's the mod I referenced in the first paragraph of my post. I'm looking for something up-to-date (I can't run some IVA prop instruments on older versions) and minimalist, tho I certainly hope pizzaoverhead finds time to finish his work soon

Oops i didn't realize that's the same mod. I hope pizzaoverhead finds time to at least bring it up-to-date, even if it's incomplete.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.