herbal space program

Can't asparagus anymore -- what gives?

Question

Hello everybody,

So I spent a couple of hours yesterday building an asparagus-staged lifter for the Jeb's Junkyard challenge. When I launched it, I discovered to my dismay that all of the engines were able to reach all of the fuel equally and that each of my bundled stacks ran out of fuel at the same moment, no matter how I placed my fuel lines. Turning off crossfeed at the decouplers did not help. I then noted that there were now new right-click options for fuel management, and when I turned on the flow overlay I saw that fuel was flowing every which way, even though AFAICT the adjacent tanks were only connected via one-way fuel lines. So far, my fiddling blindly with these and my searches through this forum and the Wiki for an explanation of how all this works have been fruitless. Could somebody please point me to one if it exists?

26 answers to this question

On 9/29/2017 at 8:29 PM, Snark said:

That "manual + stage" idea is remarkably clever, IMO.  It means that in most cases, things just naturally do what you want:  for example, if you attach a tank radially with a radial decoupler, and enable crossfeed on the decoupler, then the radial tank will drain first and then you can jettison it-- which is almost certainly what you want.  It also means that you can tinker with settings, and they get preserved if you change the staging on your ship.  Let's say you have a stack of two tanks and you want the bottom one to drain first, so you give it a +1.  Then you change your mind and you move the whole stack to a different stage of the ship:  they all change wholesale by 10, 20, 30 etc. so they have the right overall sequence number relative to the other stages on the ship, but it still preserves "bottom one drains first" because it still has that +1 on it that you gave it.  And if a rare oddball case comes up where you actually want a higher-numbered stage to drain *after* a lower-numbered stage, you can just click the +/- button a lot to give it any priority you want.

Huh... is that new with 1.3? I don't remember the priority system doing that when it was introduced...