Who Else believes Kerbal Space Program should add in comets. You would find them the same way as asteroids but they would have there elliptical orbit and would have jets of gas going into space and if you landed on these comets you could see the jets of gas, and like real comets there tails would only be there if they were close to the sun.

I would also like to thank the mod "Kerbal Komets" where these pictures were taken for ideas, to show for the ideas

These are some images in mind of what comets could look like and how to find them, and get to them, and the naming system, and tracking system.

70F05FB559C2B0302477A652A84FE0FA037769E3

comet.png

oRRm33q.png

FSZlE3J.png

XYlEMgt.png

Edited by Super Cat Elvis
I forgot to add a thank you to some pictures i used

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

It would be cool if comets were essentially "pure ore" -- that is, you could dock to them, attach a drill, and basically have a ginormous ore tank you could take to anywhere.

Not really, we already have infinite amounts of ore conveniently located on low gravity moons.

1 minute ago, Spricigo said:

Not really, we already have infinite amounts of ore conveniently located on low gravity moons.

But you can't take it with you.

A comet rendezvous has a very high dV cost, but if you can get to it and dock with it, you can bring your giant ore tank along with you. For example, in the retrosolar rescue mission.

You can do that with an asteroid, but its effective mass ratio sucks too badly to be useful.

30 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

But you can't take it with you.

Neither I want,  an infinitely large fuel tank will ruin my TWR

An asteroid as fuel tank (even assuming a 'pure ore' asteroid) is not much practical and will only reduce part count. OTOH there is those small moons all over the solar system where I can stop to get just aa much fuel as needed to reach the next one.

9 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

An asteroid as fuel tank (even assuming a 'pure ore' asteroid) is not much practical and will only reduce part count. OTOH there is those small moons all over the solar system where I can stop to get just aa much fuel as needed to reach the next one.

Okay, I admit it, I really just want this in order to do a brute-force high-speed SSTO retrosolar rescue.

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Okay, I admit it, I really just want this in order to do a brute-force high-speed SSTO retrosolar rescue.

About that challenge,  how cool would be a solar-sail powered rescue...at least if you have something else to do while letting the game run for those days long maneuvers.

Just take a look at Kottabos' review of Kerbal Komets.

If I undertood correctly those are like regular asteroids except:

1.Trail effect.

2.Appear in high elliptical orbit.

3.Have Water in it (Community Resource pack required)

I'd be really indifferent about 1.(since is just looks)  and 3.(since I don't use that resource)

OTOH I don't like the limited range of orbits a asteroid can appear.  I'd be gladly to have the added possibilities a broad range would offer.

In a bit of a stretch, we may have asteroid-specific contracts. Think about a Rosetta mission, you rendezvous with a series of asteroids/contract and end up 'landing' in one of those to collect science, or the scenario of a asteroid in collision course with Kerbin.

PS: I still think that a few comets as celestial bodies (on rail, have a SoI, gravity, biomes) on high elliptic orbits is an interesting idea. Granted it may be more suited for a planet pack.

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Super Cat Elvis said:

It' Finally Happening after so long, they just confirmed that comets are coming to the game in the 1.10 update

Comets! : KerbalSpaceProgram

I can’t believe that this happened. Now you can make wishes right in the game :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.