[KSP 1.5.*] Outer Planets Mod[2.2.1] [25 April 2018]

Galileo

Hi @Galileo ! I'm writing some contract packs and want to know if OPM bodies have contract reward modifiers? As I understand, it is hardcoded feature for only stock bodies cause I didn't see any in your configs or in Kopernicus documentation. If it's so, I guess I have to implement it by myself in contracts...

Edited by Dr. TarB

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

Which are the suggested, additional, planet pack(s) I can use with OPM to make the system as vast as possible?

Never tried any planet packs (always play stock system) and want to install a combination of planets to try.

Or, do you suggest first playing with OPM only.

Excluding the dependencies, are there any other mods I should use with these packs, i.e: will I be able to reach these planets with stock vehicles? I've never tried other mods except the usual visual mods, Kerbal Engineer and Alarm Clock.

Kind regards.

Well it's a great choice for your first "bigger" mod, I wish you lots of fun with it. But I'd say take it easy for now, select from the vast repository of suggested mods on the first page of this thread and get going. Don't overdo it for now, most of the stuff you'll want to have additionally later can be added without trouble to an existing career. This mod plus maybe some of the "Near Future..." stuff will entertain you for weeks

1 hour ago, jospanner said:

How does this work with Custom Asteroids now? Looking at the last change log it seems integration was removed, so what happens if we install it?

I've not seen a single moonlet spawn around the gas giants since the integration was removed and moved over to Kopernicus

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: PugzInSpace has kindly made a patch for this a couple weeks after the question

---

Good day. Is anyone here using an up-to-date third-party patch for Principia, specifically for Sarnus?

Urlum and Neidon are stable enough according to this older thread, but Slate can and will disturb the inner Sarnus moons.

Edited by Eridan
resolved issue

I have a couple of quick questions for you guys.

1. I'm thinking of adding OPM to a save file that's already fairly heavily modded, but no modifications have been made to the solar system thus far. Is OPM likely to break that save file?

2. Eeloo is replaced by this mod, correct? If so, what happens to vessels in the SOI of eeloo if a save file is preexisting?

The answer might be "don't install this mod if you hope to use it on a preexisting save file," and if so that's okay! This looks like a great mod though, props to the developers.

6 hours ago, Wovejulio said:

1. I'm thinking of adding OPM to a save file that's already fairly heavily modded, but no modifications have been made to the solar system thus far. Is OPM likely to break that save file?

It should work fine.  OPM adds planets but doesn't do anything to change the stock ones (except for Eeloo), so vessels currently to or from, on or around, the stock bodies shouldn't be effected.

2. Eeloo is replaced by this mod, correct? If so, what happens to vessels in the SOI of eeloo if a save file is preexisting?

Eeloo isn't replaced, it is moved, becoming a moon of Sarnus rather than a planet.  Vessels in Eeloo's SOI could be effected, but I'm not sure.  Celestial bodies are assigned an index number when created by Kopernicus, so if a body's index number is changed, it's possible a vessel could be deleted or moved to a different body.  At least that's what use to happen, but I think Kopernicus may have changed the way that works.  Vessels may now be linked to a body by name rather than index number.  So if that's the case, you may be OK.  It might depend on what version you are using.

Probably the best thing you can do is make a backup of your save and then just try it out and see what happens.  I doubt anyone can give you assurances one way or the other whether or not your save will break.

24 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

It should work fine.  OPM adds planets but doesn't do anything to change the stock ones (except for Eeloo), so vessels currently to or from, on or around, the stock bodies shouldn't be effected.

Eeloo isn't replaced, it is moved, becoming a moon of Sarnus rather than a planet.  Vessels in Eeloo's SOI could be effected, but I'm not sure.  Celestial bodies are assigned an index number when created by Kopernicus, so if a body's index number is changed, it's possible a vessel could be deleted or moved to a different body.  At least that's what use to happen, but I think Kopernicus may have changed the way that works.  Vessels may now be linked to a body by name rather than index number.  So if that's the case, you may be OK.  It might depend on what version you are using.

Probably the best thing you can do is make a backup of your save and then just try it out and see what happens.  I doubt anyone can give you assurances one way or the other whether or not your save will break.

Kopernicus stopped using flight globals index to remember planets. It uses their names, yes. So vessels orbiting planets from a mod are in no danger if planets and moons are added or removed (as long as the planets being orbited aren't removed).

6 hours ago, Wovejulio said:

I have a couple of quick questions for you guys.

The answer might be "don't install this mod if you hope to use it on a preexisting save file," and if so that's okay! This looks like a great mod though, props to the developers.

Adding a planet mod is no threat to your save. Anything orbiting Eeloo is completely safe. When Eeloo is moved, everything in its SOI is untouched. If you have something on its way out of Eeloo at the time, though, you'll have to redirect it. Removing a planet mod will have anything destroyed that's in the SOI of the removed planets and will mess up contract spawning but is otherwise harmless.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way I could take some of the moons/planets from OPM and add them to an already existing system (Galileo's Planet Pack)? I want to take Slate and add it as a planet in the system and Thatmo and add it as a moon. I know how to edit planet/body orbits in the cfg files but adding in completely separate bodies into another system looks pretty complicated.

Edit: Never mind I got it. Surprisingly easy actually.

Edited by Dizezed Zebra

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sam_S_011 said:

I wonder, does OPM work with ksp version 1.6.1?

You usually read back through the last few pages of the topic to figure that out.

For OPM, if you have the correct version of the plugin that runs changing planets, Kopernicus, for your version of KSP, it should work.

EDIT: Starstrider approved the PR after various revisions. The unofficial config is available at https://github.com/Starstrider42/Custom-Asteroids-Extras or through CKAN

I've been testing a custom asteroid config for a while now - submitted a pull request to CA, but no feedback so far. Meant to be used with the configs bundle with CustomAsteroids.

https://github.com/HSJasperism/Custom-Asteroids-Extras/blob/patch-1/config/OPM-Reconfig.cfg

I made liberal choices on the distribution of asteroids on the gas giants. No slowdowns so far, even if the asteroids spawn before visiting the planet, and with multiple Relay networks across most of the system.

(screenshots to follow)

Edited by Eridan