Australia to get Space Agency

SinBad

6 hours ago, JakGamingKSP said:

They Have a 9.8m USD budget

With an M?

They could buy some rideshare launches on SpaceX, I suppose.

As a reality check, the State of NY has ~19M people, vs ~25M for Australia. The State of NY spends 62 billion $ (with a b) on the public education system. The Bronx Aerospace High School (253 students) has a budget about that 9.8M$ size, actually (maybe larger). I bet the NYC Center for Aerospace and Applied Mathematics (a facility all the schools share) spends way more than 10M/yr. NY State's share of NASA's budget is something like 1.3B$.

Seems like anyone wanting a space program should spend some non-trivial amount of money on it.

Edited by tater

On 6/19/2020 at 3:20 AM, tater said:

With an M?

They could buy some rideshare launches on SpaceX, I suppose.

As a reality check, the State of NY has ~19M people, vs ~25M for Australia. The State of NY spends 62 billion $ (with a b) on the public education system. The Bronx Aerospace High School (253 students) has a budget about that 9.8M$ size, actually (maybe larger). I bet the NYC Center for Aerospace and Applied Mathematics (a facility all the schools share) spends way more than 10M/yr. NY State's share of NASA's budget is something like 1.3B$.

Seems like anyone wanting a space program should spend some non-trivial amount of money on it.

they have a plan to increase to 150m over time though.

• 1 year later...

Southern Launch, an Australian commercial launch provider, will attempt it's second launch from South Australia on Thursday 09/09/2021 between 6am and 6pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time) after a successful suborbital mission in September 2020

Rocket launching company Southern Launch will conduct a test flight of Taiwanese company TiSPACE's 10.2-metre, two-stage orbital rocket Hapith I from a launch pad recently constructed at the popular tourist site south of Port Lincoln.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-07/whalers-way-first-commercial-rocket-lift-off/100440154

Mr Damp said noise omitted from each launch will depend on the size of the rocket.

"The bigger the rocket the louder the noise. These are very small rockets. We have an active water deluge system so there should be water sprayed all around the place which will help to dampen the noise as well," Mr Damp said.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, JakGamingKSP said:

they have a plan to increase to 150m over time though.

That's 0.01% of GDP (assuming it's $150M USD, if it was Australian dollars, then it's 0.007% of GDP)

NASA is 0.13% of US GDP. If they want to be even sorta of reasonable, they should spend a billion, anyway.

In Finland we had some discussions couple of years ago. Some politicians suggested space administration but it seemed to be just some political trick. Finland is some kind of restricted member in ESA.  There are some companies which make spacecraft components for ESA and NASA but the State does not have any activities as far as I know. Fortunately it has probably been forgotten. It seems that Australian thing may be similar. Someone want a department with squadron of bureaucrats who has nothing real to do.

In Australia it may be possible to launch rockets in future but there will certainly never be an orbital launch from Finland. The southest part is about at 59.5 N latitude and all trajectories to east should fly over Russian land. If some Finnish company want to use for example ESA's launchpad at South America ESA's and EU's bureaucracy is certainly enough. There is no need for Finnish government level in addition to that.

ESA is a good idea, since there are minimum antes required to do anything meaningful in space right now due to cost.

That said, ESA represents countries with a combined GDP that is about like the US, so the ESA budget should clearly be north of $20B USD—what is it, $4B?

ESA could be a very good idea but practical realization is even more political and much more poor than NASA. Every single country want to have orders and contracts for their companies more than they pay, which is naturally impossible before there is actual business in space. Maybe (a big maybe) it would work better if ESA was under EU level administration.

14 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

ESA could be a very good idea but practical realization is even more political and much more poor than NASA. Every single country want to have orders and contracts for their companies more than they pay, which is naturally impossible before there is actual business in space. Maybe (a big maybe) it would work better if ESA was under EU level administration.

Ariane to SLS: "First time, huh?"

6 hours ago, Beccab said:

I still remember the Ariane 6 infographics that are like "Look at these! Look at how many countries we were able to split this rocket between!!"

That's literally all I remember about it.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 7:26 AM, kerbiloid said:

Sounding rockets.

Bezos and Branson get a lot of publicity with their sounding rockets (Branson gets more publicity from his sounding rocket than his tiny orbital rocket).  Maybe somebody is paying attention.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.