Comnet duna

So my ships have sailed and on their way to duna, i just love this game.

2 Big Ra-100 polar elliptical orbit as high as i can get. 

3 Ra-2 equatorial orbit. 

The 2 first are now in place , but i was planning to get the 3 in equatorial in geostationary orbit 2.880.000m , but ike is in the path.

So tried 4.000.000m but still ike influence. 

Better to go below ike or even higher ? 

what are your altitudes on equatorial orbits duna.

Second question ,  i have a space station and a ore craft on the way to duna.

Is it better to have them both on ike , since a launch from duna costs alot of dV.?

I'm messing around on Duna myself at the moment,  sure you haven't gone a little overkill on comms? Anyways I would say one above,  two below, but that's without looking at the figures. Also as a third option you could put one in very high equatorial and use the gravity of Duna to throw the others out to Dres or Jool to open up future options. 

or even Park a couple on a solar orbit. 

this is all conjecture and depends on your available deltaV of course

Edited by Palaceviking

1 hour ago, bjerrang said:

2 Big Ra-100 polar elliptical orbit as high as i can get.

A bit overkill ( RA-15 should be strong enough), but OK. I hope you remembered to phase then 180° apart so at the time one is at PE the other is at AP.

3 Ra-2 equatorial orbit. 

Ok, and what you will be using in the later ships? You need to consider that before deciding in how high the relays will orbit. e.g.

A)Your ships will have just a communotron 16 each (VAP 500k), so the range will be: SQRT[500k*2G]=1Mm You need the relay well bellow Ike's orbit to ensure connection in Duna's surface/low orbit

B)Ships will have a DTS-M1 (VAP 2G), the range will be comfortable 2Gm The relay can be anywhere within the SoI , only LoS issues will prevent the connection.

Better to go below ike or even higher ? 

Considering the above my suggestion is definitely below Ike's orbit. Anywhere between 320km (lower Duna may block the signal) to 1Mm (so you don't need stronger antennas than Communotron 16 on the other ships). Notice:

1.Range between you polar and equatorial relays is 14Gm

2.Range between polar satellites and Communotron 16 is 7Gm

3.You may still have LoS issues while behind Ike.

About Ike: if you are worried about losing signal behind Ike, HG-5s in triangular formation between 130km and 1600km close the gap nicely. 

Edited by Spricigo

1 hour ago, Spricigo said:

A bit overkill ( RA-15 should be strong enough), but OK. I hope you remembered to phase then 180° apart so at the time one is at PE the other is at AP.  

Ok, and what you will be using in the later ships? You need to consider that before deciding in how high the relays will orbit. e.g.

A)Your ships will have just a communotron 16 each (VAP 500k), so the range will be: SQRT[500k*2G]=1Mm You need the relay well bellow Ike's orbit to ensure connection in Duna's surface/low orbit

B)Ships will have a DTS-M1 (VAP 2G), the range will be comfortable 2Gm The relay can be anywhere within the SoI , only LoS issues will prevent the connection.

Considering the above my suggestion is definitely below Ike's orbit. Anywhere between 320km (lower Duna may block the signal) to 1Mm (so you don't need stronger antennas than Communotron 16 on the other ships). Notice:

1.Range between you polar and equatorial relays is 14Gm

2.Range between polar satellites and Communotron 16 is 7Gm

3.You may still have LoS issues while behind Ike.

About Ike: if you are worried about losing signal behind Ike, HG-5s in triangular formation between 130km and 1600km close the gap nicely. 

Ive gone to faar earlier with LoS so i naturally pick the big one now.

Communotron 16-s / dts-m1 / HG-55 , depends on the ship , ive got 4 more in que for duna spaced 5-7 days.

But the second question  , my ore & and mobile prosessing lab.

Edited by bjerrang

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.