steam locomotive

klond

KerbalsAreKute on kerbalx.com likes the train stuff I've done and requested some functional running gear.  After greasing all the bearings, here's what we got.

There is no steering and no reaction wheels. 562 parts makes this craft pretty laggy for me, especially during staging.  I split it up into many stages to give the computer time to catch up.  KSP still crashes pretty often.

I wanted to recreate a somewhat realistic drive wheel setup.  IRL the 2nd wheel is the first one driven, which makes the connecting rod longer so the angles are less extreme (I learned a few things I guess).  Then a rod couples the rear driven wheels to the front so 4 wheels are powered.  Sounds great, and I kinda made it work, but adding all the complexity of powering a 2nd set of wheels, in KSP, with sloppy bearings and the kraken watching, well lets say 2wd works WAY better.  Delete the 2 RCS pods on each side per the description below for 'coupling rod' to disable 4wd.

pZHfHmA.jpg

Since the connecting-type rods are virtual you'll have to use your imagination for now. :) 

So each piston is pushed back and forth, right.  Same on the other side, but 90 degress out of phase, so I get a pulse every 90 degrees-ish that transfers through the solid axles.  So kinda like a 4 cylinder.  Probably not realistic, but I wanted to make it work.  Oh, and to get enough oomph I had to stack a bunch of junos right on top of each other.

Slop in all the bearings adds up, and makes valve timing difficult.  I added one tiny turbine underneath to help keep the valvetrain taut.  It does end up helping with locomotion a tiny bit.  Button 2 turns if off, but power will be lost through poor timing and surging.

9bse6O3.jpg

I went all out on the knick-knacks (except for the cab) and added steam lines and a cattle pusher and doodads all over.

Y193OYO.jpg

The leading truck was added last to help bear some of the weight because this unit is front-heavy and was bobbing.

J7cZr5D.jpg

If it breaks down, at least it looks neat.  Enjoy

KerbalX

Edited by klond

Stunning work mate truly! You are with out a doubt the master of moving part craft!

Someone give this man a crown or something! :cool:

Matey, have you ever thought about making a off world craft pack, maybe a replica that incorperates some moving part type system? I can think of a load of things you could use these complex craft for on other worlds.

OOh also, you should have turned the thermometers the other way round. :sticktongue:

16 hours ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

how stronk is your pc?

Not bad.  Ivy bridge i5 but KSP is on a regular old hard drive.

10 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

the word doodads

I first got this word from making a custom map for the original starcraft long time ago.  They had a whole section of doodads.  So I blame Blizzard.

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

I shouldn't have posted pics of my locomotive in the WIP

I JUST saw it on kerbalx.  I have not kept up with the WIP and had not seen it.  I can understand that it will probably hurt viewership.  In an alternate timeline we could have released same-time and it would have been better for both of us.  Odd that this has happened twice now, and it looks like I did it on purpose, but I have too much respect for you to undermine your work.  You're the reason I'm here anyway.  I'm sorry it happened, and although competition is good, I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen.  I'll probably message you before the next big thing.  Might be a while.

Now I gotta go download your craft and pour over it.  I'm sure I'll take away something I can use.  Hopefully someone can take away something from me too.

K

20 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Matey, have you ever thought about making a off world craft pack, maybe a replica that incorperates some moving part type system? I can think of a load of things you could use these complex craft for on other worlds.

Sooooo? Have ya? :cool:

4 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Sooooo? Have ya? :cool:

Thanks for the kind words earlier.

Space?  Ain't nobody got time for space :P  Maybe just a canadarm, even though there's already a few available.  I think I get more of a kick making useless stuff.  If you have one really specific request I might be down for it.  Making stuff reattachable for timewarp can be tricky.

20 hours ago, klond said:

Thanks for the kind words earlier.

Space?  Ain't nobody got time for space :P  Maybe just a canadarm, even though there's already a few available.  I think I get more of a kick making useless stuff.  If you have one really specific request I might be down for it.  Making stuff reattachable for timewarp can be tricky.

I know, building stuff for other planets is time consuming, but very satisfying flying the full mission what with all that can go wrong with the craft and the flying. :blush: It's more of a challenge! I throw down the gauntlet, so to speak. Oh and timewarp is just another engineering problem. :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.