Emulating Real Life in KSP: Stock Edition- Seven Missions Available now!

DAL59

Inspired by @Oliverm001x

No mods allowed

This works by becoming a launch provider or payload provider.  No spaceplanes.  

Each launch provider only gets 50,000 funds to start, but payloads are free.  After launching a payload, the provider earns 5 times the cost of the payload.

The missions of payloads are decided by a "decadal survey(poll)", and the cost of payload must be less than 5,000(unless vessel masses less than 3 tons) for Discovery class missions, less than 20,000 for New Frontiers class missions, and less than 100,000 for Flagship-class missions.  

After every two successful launches, the launcher can be upgraded to have better tech.

(Parts not mentioned are always allowed)

First generation: No SRBs larger than the Hammer, only FL tanks, and only Terrier, Reliant, and Swivel engines

Second generation: Airbrakes, parachutes, Rockomax parts and Rockomax sized engines, Thumper SRBs

Third generation: Toroidal aerospikes, radial engines, tiny engines,  Kickback boosters, landing gear

Forth generation: Kerbodyne engines and fuel tanks, nuclear engine, Asparagus staging

A failed launch results is a loss of funds of both the rocket and payload.

Launch Provider

Spoiler

None so far

Payload Providers:

Spoiler

@DAL59- Duna Flyby

@Ultimate Steve- Kerbin Polar Commsat and Minimus Comsat

Edited by DAL59

Results are in!

Missions:

Flagship:

Manned Minimus Orbit

New Frontiers:

Eve Flyby

Duna Flyby 

Discovery:

One polar orbiting communications satellite

Mun impactor

Minimus impactor

Minimus relay

Payloads and rockets open to submission

Edited by DAL59

@Mukita12That is a good rocket, but you cannot use it yet.  You must have 

On 9/27/2017 at 4:24 PM, DAL59 said:

First generation: No SRBs larger than the Hammer, only FL tanks, and only Terrier, Reliant, and Swivel engines

and launch that rocket twice successfully(with a payload) before upgrading.  

Two things:

1. DO NOT ROLEPLAY!!! I can already see so many ways this can go wrong. If we keep it to "people exchanging and launching various crafts" we should be fine, but "businisses providing and launching crafts" is not. I'd like to see this go far, but as a reminder, no roleplay.

2. Sign me up as both a launch provider and a payload provider. I'm going to make five payloads, I think? We're free to submit what we want, right? And we an go ahead and fly what payloads we want, right?

EDIT: What constitutes each of the mission classes? I can't seem to design a unique payload below 5000 funds, so you might want to rejigger the costs.

EDIT: I built ten payloads (unfortunately most of them aren't on the mission list but I'm not sure if it matters or not, payloads are payloads) but I don't have time to upload them right now, I'll do it when I get back from musical practice. Eight of them are 5000 fund payloads and two of them (space telescope and Ike orbiter) are 20000 fund payloads.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

@Ultimate SteveThis thread is similar to a now defunct thread, and that one worked out fine.  I'll just keep their rule of not naming a company.  

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I can't seem to design a unique payload below 5000 funds

I'll make it so its "under 5000 funds and/or under 3 tons". 

3 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And we an go ahead and fly what payloads we want, right?

Yes, but you must announce it.  You also cannot be both a LP and a PP.  

30 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

You also cannot be both a LP and a PP.  

For a payload you design? Or overall? I'm guessing the latter, in which case... Aww. I guess I'll just do PP then.

But wait...

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:24 PM, DAL59 said:

This works by becoming a launch provider and/or* payload provider.

*Emphasis mine. Not trying to be mean or anything here, just curious as to which one is correct.

Anyway, here's the first 10 craft of my career as a Payload Provider:

Spoiler

First off, all ten of these crafts can be found in this KerbalX hangar.

US01 THING 1

Mass: 0.251t

Cost: 4498 funds.

Info: Stands for THermal Imaging Next Generation satellite 1.

Criteria for successful launch (CFS): Must be launched into an elliptical polar Kerbin orbit with a periapsis above 70km, an apoapsis between 1750 and 2000km, and an inclination between 88 and 92 degrees. Must have solar panels deployed.

435d7k7.png

US02 CryoSat

Mass: 2.72t

Cost: 4815 funds

Info: Designed to test the viability of long term cryogenic storage of liquid hydrogen in high orbit.

CFS: Must be placed in a Keostationary Transfer Orbit. The onboard main engine will complete the circularization into KEO. Solar panels must be deployed as well as all three antennas.

FgFQG8U.png

US03 Munar Impactor

Mass: 2.17t

Cost: 4950 funds

Info: Developed by advanced university students as a "cool project." Will provide video of the moments leading up to impact.

CFS: Must be placed into Low Kerbin Orbit. The payload will do the rest. Use the SRB to get onto as close to a Munar impact trajectory as you can, and then use the RCS powered stage for course corrections. Impact the Mun.

OiiAPH1.png

US04 Galileo Space Telescope

Mass: 6t

Cost: 19875 funds

Info: Basically a Kerbal version of Hubble.

CFS: Be placed directly into Keostationary orbit without using any of the onboard fuel. Deploy all radiators, solar panels, and antennas, including the working aperture door cleverly disguised as an HG-55 antenna.

uMl3ZFg.png

US05 Solar Maximum

Mass: 1.134t

Cost: 4334 funds

Info: Designed to study the sun using internally located (nonexistent) instruments.

CFS: Must be placed into Low Kerbin Orbit, the payload will do the rest. Fire both separatron stages to exceed escape velocity and extend the solar panels as well as the antenna.

Vhv1Ymf.png

US06 P.O.K.E.R.

Mass: 0.015t

Cost: 4520 funds

Info: Stands for Polar Orbiting Kerbin Experimental Research satellite. Tiny CubeSat thing designed to study sensors and military reconnaissance.

CFS: Be placed into a Low Polar orbit around Kerbin, PE>70km and AP<100km, inclination between 88 and 92 degrees. Extend the antenna. A sun synchronous launch (orbiting along the day/night terminator, yes I know real SSO's aren't possible in KSP) is preferred but not a requirement.

CT43wBj.png

US07 P.O.K.E.R. M

Mass: 0.136t

Cost: 3940 funds

Info: Designed as a follow up to POKER, POKER-M is designed to orbit Minmus instead of Kerbin. It is equipped with advanced digital imaging sensors cleverly disguised as thermometers.

CFS: Deliver payload into an elliptical Minmus polar orbit, with a periapsis above 5km and below 20km, and an apoapsis between 200 and 300km. Orbit must have an inclination between 88 and 92 degrees. 

FOLLOW UP MISSION: (not sure if the rules allow this) The satellite has detected enemy radio signals from a secret Minmus base, and then went silent. Send a second rocket and safely return POKER-M to the surface of Kerbin. Payout is double (if the rules allow that) of a normal mission.

LGuEQAH.png

US08 Peregrine In Flight Abort Test

Mass: 2.299t

Cost: 4847

Info: Peregrine is a capsule developed by a bunch of rich idiots who want to send people to space. After the pad abort test somehow went well, they decided to build a second boilerplate capsule for an in flight abort test. However, they don't know what they're doing and have come to you to provide a booster for this test.

CFS: At an altitude of 10km, accelerating more than 3g's, travelling faster than 250m/s, activate the lower decoupler and the eight separatrons to test the abort capability of the capsule. The mission should be unmanned. If the booster explodes before this point but the abort system works, the mission should still be counted as successful.

uequUth.png

US09 Nuclear Re-Entry Testbed

Mass: 5.117t (a bit on the heavy side)

Cost: 4514 funds

Info: The government wants to test out a re-entry vehicle for use on an ICBM. The missile is not ready yet, which is where you come in.

CFS: Deliver warhead on a high suborbital trajectory (AP>500km) westward that impacts the ocean somewhere between the KSC continent and the desert continent. Decouple re-entry vehicle from rocket once above 70km. From here you can fly the vehicle to its impact point. Do not deploy the fairing. Vehicle does not need to remain intact throughout re-entry to count as a successful mission.

UJwDXeM.png

US10 Ike Orbiter

Mass: 0.963t

Cost: 19990 funds

Info: Small ion engine powered probe designed to go anywhere (just not so far out that the solar panel doesn't work). The first test mission is going to orbit the moon of Ike.

CFS: Deliver into LKO, PE>70km AP<300km. Must be within 3 degrees of equatorial. Deploy the solar panel and antenna. You don't have to fly it all the way to Ike (ion burns can be tedious) but you can.

IJ4nCWX.png

(I hope these are unique enough to not get boring)

At least, that's what I think I'm supposed to do...

50 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

US-06 and US-07 are good for current missions, and the other craft may be useful after future decadal surveys.  

Oh, so I've basically done everything wrong? Okay, then. You might want to flesh out the rules a bit more, in my opinion they are pretty confusing. You're the boss here, but I'm a bit curious as to why you want to limit payloads...

28 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

done everything wrong?

No- your payloads are fine.  Right now, only 6 and 7 are available for launching though. 

29 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm a bit curious as to why you want to limit payloads...

Preventing chaos until this project starts working well.    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.