2-6-2T Steam Locomotive

Azimech

2-6-2T

rMX1azp.png

Features:

• Two cylinders (single acting),
  • Crossheads,
  • Offset crankshaft for a better power stroke,
  • Wheel configuration: 2-6-2. Two leading wheels, six driven wheels, two trailing wheels.
  • Coupling on front and rear,
  • Eight blowers, slightly offset from each other to reduce the hammering effect of the thrust on the pistons, valves, conrods and crankshaft,
  • Valve cooling system,
  • Smoke generator (blocked jet engine pointing up),
  • Firebox with pseudo fire effect using Z-fighting (action group 0 toggles it),
  • Runs on rails. Doesn't run without.
  • Max safe speed: 10.5 m/s.

My first "steam" locomotive. There's obviously room for improvement.

Too many parts? You can reduce the length of the track, it's 0.5km.

Instructions: just hit stage, throttle at 50%. Then gently throttle up as it increases speed to reduce risk of overheating the valves.

Note: there's no reverse (yet).

Craft file.

Edited by Azimech

Nice work dude! I love it! Gotta make one of these myself!

Not sure, I need to do testing myself, but it appears that your steam engine has better performance while klond's has the looks* (it doesn't have the firebox though). Now what we need to do is combine the two. :D

*Not saying yours is ugly, but to be honest klond's looks more like classic steam engine

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
Answered question

3 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Nice work dude! I love it! Gotta make one of these myself!

Not sure, I need to do testing myself, but it appears that your steam engine has better performance while klond's has the looks* (it doesn't have the firebox though). Now what we need to do is combine the two. :D

*Not saying yours is ugly, but to be honest klond's looks more like classic steam engine

I had the option to dress it up but I'd rather invest in improving its performance. I'm guessing the current limit is partially based on max rpm so increasing the diameter of the driven wheels should make it faster.

"Classic" is relative though, I've taken a look at loco's of the 1930's while klond's looks inspired by the 1860's.

p01563.jpg

locomotive-wood-burning-no-207-1870s1.jp

But I really like the streamliners.

PRR+S1.jpg

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

I had the option to dress it up but I'd rather invest in improving its performance. I'm guessing the current limit is partially based on max rpm so increasing the diameter of the driven wheels should make it faster.

"Classic" is relative though, I've taken a look at loco's of the 1930's while klond's looks inspired by the 1860's.

<snippity snip>

But I really like the streamliners.

<snip>

Well, I suppose yours does kind of look like a 1930's locomotive (which is just cool imo as a 1860s one) if you look at it from the side or the back, but the sort of double boiler and cylinders hidden inside kind of threw me off.

I think the weird face it appears to have from the back is rather amusing though. :sticktongue:

Great machine regardless!

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

48 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Well, I suppose yours does kind of look like a 1930's locomotive (which is just cool imo as a 1860s one) if you look at it from the side or the back, but the sort of double boiler and cylinders hidden inside kind of threw me off.

I think the weird face it appears to have from the back is rather amusing though. :sticktongue:

Great machine regardless!

I did wonder if someone would notice the (unintentional) weird face XD

The double boiler and cylinders ... yeah. Ratio's. The thing is already wider than a real loco but with these MK1 fuselage sections as cylinders or kerbal part sizes in general we have to compromise.

Major update! Version 1.1.

Changelog:

• Redesigned pistons, reduced part count and reduced lateral movement.
  • Redesigned crossheads to reduce friction, mass and remove lateral movement.
  • Reduced possible points of failure.
  • Improved bearing strength.
  • Improved valve timing a lot.
  • Slightly increased diameter of the driving wheels.
  • Added balancing weights to the crankshaft.
  • Added two blowers.
  • Top speed increased from an unstable, wobbling 3.2 m/s to a relatively stable 10.5 m/s.

7PiR2HG.png

Edited by Azimech

The most "kerbal" locomotive I've found today, the Schienenzeppelin, 1930.

Driven by a BMW aircraft engine with 654 hp, running at 1460 rpm. The propeller was angled 7 degrees towards the sky to not only push the train forward but against the rails as well. They also wanted to point the airstream away from the ground.

It reached a top speed of 182 kph but had to slow down because they were near the end of the test track. It was still accelerating.

j29cpic.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.