[Humour] A Hierarchy of Seriousness...

Matuchkin

There is a certain hierarchy within this sparse community of space sims, and I believe that there are certain stereotypes surrounding those who play them. Take a look:

1. "The Proles": "KSP sucks, play Player Unknown's Battlegrounds".

2. SCHOOL: These people are the types who believe you need to go 7000m/s to exit the atmosphere, that a rocket can't enter orbit because it can't fly high enough, that our opportunity to go to Mars is when it's closest to Earth, that black holes "suck" objects into them, etc. Of course, they also think they know more than you about space.

3. KSP unmodded: There is a huge gap crossed between 1 and 2 here. These are people who know how orbits work, how space maneuvers are performed, how several spacecraft systems work, etc. They are nice to talk to, and they know what they are talking about when it comes to space- conversations which usually start with "Dude you also know KSP?! EYYYYYYYYYYY!", followed by an intense feeling of brotherhood and unity, in both graphics engine and social aspects...

4. KSP (realism overhaul): These guys know their stuff, and that "stuff" includes space systems, orbital mechanics, aerodynamics to a basic level, etc. They are starting to genuinely be interested in space travel, and are learning more about it from external sources.

5. Orbiter: The first level of nirvana, so to speak. These people can legitimately create their own spacecrafts with their own characteristics. They have very good knowledge about space travel, supplemented with all the real-life mathematical and physics elements required to advance in the field.

6. GMAT (beginner): These people are starting to get into programming. They study spacecraft in detail, and know every aspect of a mission.

7. GMAT (advanced): Dude, go be an engineer.

8. MATLAB: The demigods of the space community.

9. Full-out programming, <<[OTIS]>>: These people work in NASA. Period.

As I see it, I am between stages 3 and 4. So what do you think about this collection of stereotypes?:wink:

Edited by Matuchkin

prolly for the same reason as counter strike & team fortress ? anyway lately we reached the space janitor level as far as i remind, they call this a game as well weird, some dev just have some weird idea,  i don't get it

it's a bit creepy to think that one could become a real work someday and while i follow and support the concept behind the game, i can hardly play it now while i would have probably when much younger

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.